Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-01-2020, 09:08 PM   #1
BoxCar Tom

Default 32 Ford brake cross shaft assembly

Im rebuilding a 32 ford brake cross shaft assembly. I need a replacement shaft and the composite bushings. Anyone know where i can get these items?
Also, I have two assemblies, both disassembled, they are identical except one arm is longer and has a second hole above the first. I believe the brake pedal rod connects to this arm. Extra hole, european? big truck? I would post a picture but for some reason my computer and camera are not communicating. I appreciate the help.
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:11 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 32 Ford brake cross shaft assembly

Have you checked with the NOS guys?

The posting issue is most likely a file size issue. I can post photos for you if you would like. email them to me at [email protected]
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:34 PM   #3
DavidG

The extra long arm sounds like it is either off a '33-'34 cross shaft or your second cross shaft assembly is the '33-'34 variety. Do the bases of the two same have the same shape where they attach to the center cross member?

There's a new cross shaft on ebay at this time and perhaps Michael Driskell at Third Gen Automotive has both the shaft and the bushings.

Single shaft RHD cross shafts have a longer shaft and an additional arm on that extended shaft. Most European '32 cross shafts have two shafts so that the hand brake can operate the rear brakes independent of the pedal-operated brakes. They are quite elaborate.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:03 AM   #4
BoxCar Tom

JSeery, Check your email.

DavidG, All individual parts are identical except one arm is longer and has a second hole above the first. The two bases are the same where they attach to the center cross member. Lets take a pause until Im able to post pictures. Thanks,

Searched ebay using 32 Ford, no luck, could not find the new cross shaft, changed to 1932 Ford, first item up. In contact with Mike D

Last edited by BoxCar Tom; 10-02-2020 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:26 AM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Sent, I'll send a PM as well.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:35 AM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Here are the photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crossover 1.jpg (42.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Crossover 2.jpg (63.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Crossover 3.jpg (78.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Crossover 4.jpg (45.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-02-2020, 12:48 PM   #7
DavidG

Someone replaced the usual '32 arm on one of your cross shafts with a '33-'34 arm.
Old 10-02-2020, 01:58 PM   #8
BoxCar Tom

Jerry, Thanks for posting the pictures.

Dave, Thanks for confirming that it is a 33-34 arm contaminating my 32 assembly.

FYI in addition to the nos brake cross shaft on ebay I also found two 1932 Ford brake cross shaft assemblies (ebay #s 303701792493, 233708519653) and a third assembly which is incorrectly identified as Model A T Ford brake actuator pivot, (ebay #133464056584) which is, Thanks to Dave, apparently a 33-34 assembly.

Thanks to ALL

Process of elimination,

Old 10-02-2020, 02:53 PM   #9
Floyd

I found polyurthane bushing that work great from Grainger. Top quality, made in Germany and cost about $7.00. I don't have pics to show. They may have been flanged bushings which I just cut off the flange. Don't recall. I do know that they fit perfectly and work great. You do want to rebuild this assembly as I can assure you that the bushings are shot and you will never get good solid braking until you do this. If you have NOS ,then you are fine. Getting the assembly apart is a bit of a struggle. Others may have better ideas, but my brakes are terrific, zero slop in the system and Flathead Ted floaters. Good luck.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 02:55 PM   #10
DavidG

As an aside, true to form like so many '32 components, there is an early and late version of the subject '32 cross shaft arm. The initial version of the center cross section of the largest of the arms of the three (the one that attached to the brake pedal) was oval shaped. Evidently there were enough '32 Ford owners with serious leg muscles who bent this arm on their cars. As a result the arm was revised with a rhombus cross section making it noticeably heftier.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:12 PM   #11
BoxCar Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
I found polyurthane bushing that work great from Grainger. Top quality, made in Germany and cost about $7.00. I don't have pics to show. They may have been flanged bushings which I just cut off the flange. Don't recall. I do know that they fit perfectly and work great. You do want to rebuild this assembly as I can assure you that the bushings are shot and you will never get good solid braking until you do this. If you have NOS ,then you are fine. Getting the assembly apart is a bit of a struggle. Others may have better ideas, but my brakes are terrific, zero slop in the system and Flathead Ted floaters. Good luck.

Floyd, My brother is working on his 32 brake cross shaft and rebuilding one for me. So I have been been posting questions for him. He went to both Granger and McMaster. Neither company had polyurthane bushing that fit the specs. Do you have any additional info that might help? Thanks
Old 10-24-2020, 02:29 PM   #12
Floyd

BoxCar Tom, I was finally able to dig up the old info after a good day in the garage going thru zillions of pages of notes and finding nothing! We are going on memory here. So much for documentation.
Anyway, First check the dimensions of the old bushing or the shaft and hole in the bracket. I kinda recall the shaft is 7/8 " (.875) and the OD is 1.00". If this is correct then the bushings are IGUS branded , made in Germany and come with a flange which you can cut off with a hacksaw. They have two lengths, I believe the longer one will work. You will need two of these to make up the length of the old fabric bush. The part is IGUS 1416-12. available on Ebay and others. The grainger part is 2MTR2.
The nice thing about these is they are compliant and require no lube, just like the originals. Also cheap and easily fitted without maching or reaming just cut oof the flange. Works perfect in my opinion. If I am wrong on the dimensions, there are other sizes. Just search on IGUS bearing or bushings. The ones I used were the red material. Report back please.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:52 PM   #13
BoxCar Tom

Thanks Floyd, Will let you know what we find.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:54 PM   #14
Bruce_MO

It was 35+ years ago, but I used needle bearings. It was an easy to find size as I recall. They worked great.
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:52 PM   #15
Lawrie

I just replaced the shaft and bushings on our 33, got them from Barnfind here,$22 for the set ,fitted them up and both pedals are perfect now.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:39 AM   #16
JM 35 Sedan

I've rebuilt several '35/'36 brake cross shaft assemblies using oil impregnated bronze bushings that I purchased from McMaster Carr, and made new main shafts from standard CRS bar stock. This method also works very well. I did a post some years ago here on Fordbarn with pictures and all the details.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ke+cross+shaft

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 10-27-2020 at 11:00 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:23 PM   #17
Lincolnville

Just noticed the following on Ebay: Brake Cross Shaft Bushing - Type - One-piece Style- With Woven Insert
Ebay # 114446323379
Condition: New Brand:
MACs Auto Parts
Model Year Range: 1928 - 1934
Manufacturer Part Number: 32-32021-1
OEM Part #: BB2477

Is this the part?

Matt
Lincolnville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:48 PM   #18
BoxCar Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnville View Post
Just noticed the following on Ebay: Brake Cross Shaft Bushing - Type - One-piece Style- With Woven Insert
Ebay # 114446323379
Condition: New Brand:
MACs Auto Parts
Model Year Range: 1928 - 1934
Manufacturer Part Number: 32-32021-1
OEM Part #: BB2477

Is this the part?

Matt
Ebay # 114446323379 will never fit in a 32 ford brake cross shaft assembly. It is spherical in shape when the ford bushing is cylindrical. IGUS 1416-12 called out by Floyd looks like it will do the job. The correct spec is 7/8" od x 3/4" id. Have some on order, see what happens.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:01 PM   #19
lotsagas4u

I have a NOS one, what are they worth?
lotsagas4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:19 PM   #20
Floyd

For those watching, the Ebay part is a model A part and/or big truck part. We are working on Boxcar Tom's brother's 32 car or commercial. The assembly in question is B-2468. And yes like many 32 parts, this is a one year only. For LHD models there was the revision made to strengthen the lever arm as noted by Professor DavidG , but they are interchangeable. The shaft in question is B-2481 and was used for 32 to 34 cars. The bushing in question is b-2477 and was used in 32 to 34. Interesting that the dimensions noted by Ford are .87 ID by 1.12 OD by 1.5 " long. Boxcar has come up with a different dimension. The numbers I throw out in reply #12 above were from memory years ago and not considered accurate. However IGUS does make correct size poly bushings and for less than $10 you can be back on the road. Please, please measure and check the dimensions and post a copy of the drawing B-2477 if you have it.