Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-20-2019, 07:29 PM   #1
DBrer

Default Enclosed car trailer

If there is someone that has, or uses an enclosed car trailer could you tell me what size you used or have, and the manufacturer of the trailer. I have a 29 Tudor. Thank you
DBrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:13 PM   #2
jw hash

Default Re: Enclosed car trailer

I have a 18 ' and it is perfect for me. you can get by with a 14' if you do not have a trunk on the back. a 16' if you have a trunk. I like to have a little extra room in the trailer. also I can put my 56 BelAir in the 18'
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:27 AM   #3
rosenkranswa

We have a 24' with a V-nose and an extra foot in height. Tows beautifully behind our F250. I like having the extra length because we also tow our '42 Ford Tudor, and we got the extra height to tow our Model T. We mounted a pick-up style tool box in the front by the V which doubles as a bench. The combo goes to Florida from PA with us most years in March for a Model T tour - never had a problem.

The trailer was custom built for us by Motiv several years ago when the industry was a bit down, so got a very good price.

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:46 AM   #4
rniez

We have a 16 foot Transport Designs that tows really well and doubles as a vintage race car trailer. I have a 1931 Town Sedan.
rniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:14 PM   #5
SSsssteamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw hash View Post
I have a 18 ' and it is perfect for me. you can get by with a 14' if you do not have a trunk on the back. a 16' if you have a trunk. I like to have a little extra room in the trailer. also I can put my 56 BelAir in the 18'
Ditto. Perfect for us too.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:45 PM   #6
whirnot

I have a 16 foot Cargo Mate, vee nose. I had it made 6" taller than standard, and a flat floor. Some use dovetail floors to keep the height down, I prefer it flat. I also had E track installed in the floors during manufacture, and love it. I built a few small shelves in the Vee, which are really handy. Transports a model A with trunk, behind an F150 easily.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:18 PM   #7
Roger V

Have a 22 foot all aluminum (steel axles, springs, and coupler of course). Beaver tail and ramp door. Tie down rings spaced for our A's as well as our later collector cars. Don't even feel it behind our F150. Had a 16 foot before but only good for the A's.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:21 AM   #8
John Dayhuff

Speaking of trailers. Has anyone used there trailer to store there car in year round? Good or bad??
Old 11-22-2019, 06:50 AM   #9
MickeyT

Send a message via MSN to MickeyT Send a message via Yahoo to MickeyT

John that's the main reason I bought my 16' enclosed. I have a coupe in the garage that I'm working on and I keep my truck in the trailer. I've had no problems. I drive it in and out of the trailer as needed.
MickeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:56 AM   #10
Steve in Denver

Someone mentioned their 250 Ford. Is that enough to tow most vehicles? I'm thinking of renting a 9 passenger van for an event and wonder if it will be enough to also tow an enclosed trailer with a 3200 pound '36 5 window.
Steve in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:34 AM   #11
Gary Karr

I have a 24' Hallmark. There is plenty of space to load stuff in front as well as the Model A's. I also keep one of the A's in it as a garage. It keeps it clean and tight. I pull it with an F250 7.3 diesel and don't even know it's behind me.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:41 AM   #12
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kennedy View Post
Someone mentioned their 250 Ford. Is that enough to tow most vehicles? I'm thinking of renting a 9 passenger van for an event and wonder if it will be enough to also tow an enclosed trailer with a 3200 pound '36 5 window.
F250 will tow just about anything you put behind it. As far as the van, if its heavy duty and rated there should be no problem. I have a buddy that is in the plumbing business and he regularily towed a small backhoe behind his e250 van loaded full of tools and material.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:29 AM   #13
Pat/Ohio

I have a 20' Haulmark enclosed, with beavertail, flat one-piece roof. Haul mostly '32 Fords. I have hauled, a '61 Corvette, '49 Mercury Conv and others. I use it to store a '32 5W in the summer months while I work on other projects in my 4-car garage. Enclosed trailers are great for national meets which will allow you to store you car in case of inclement weather. Also store all the yard/porch furniture in the winter. Have had it 20 years with no problems. I tow it with a Ford F150 with a 3.5 Ecoboost. Handles nicely!

Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:37 AM   #14
Roger V

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dayhuff View Post
Speaking of trailers. Has anyone used there trailer to store there car in year round? Good or bad??
Sounds like most are ok with storing a car. In my last trailer I stored my show 400A. Checking on it in the spring, all the nickel plated parts had turned green. Expensive lesson learned. My current trailer appears to have better venting but not taking a chance. So, like one of the posters, I stored the gazebo furniture and screens.

Relative to towing, I think any F250 even without a diesel would tow most trailers. I had one that did just fine. The new F150 Ecoboost is way more powerfull than that one(gas) and plenty for towing.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:48 PM   #15
31a

I have a Haulmark 20ft dovetail enclosed really like the trailer but could use extra height to haul my stationwagon(which I did not have when I bought the trailer) pull with f250 diesel very good setup
31a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:16 PM   #16
holdover

I have a 20' Car Mate, https://carmate-trailers.com/trailer...m-car-trailer/ use it to tow my Tudor, and my racing Miata. Pull it with a F250 Diesel. I do not store my car in it during the summer, unless it is parked in a covered shed to keep the sun off it. It gets pretty hot inside even with a white top and sides, OK in the shed with the top vent open.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote