Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-21-2019, 03:45 AM   #1
thom

Default caution- generator problems may be contagious

The generator has not worked on our '21 T Touring in the 3 years that we've had the car. I've been just charging the battery about once a month and putting off getting it fixed, but now the generator on our '28 Sport Coupe has stopped working. I suppose I'll take them both to the local shop, operated by a friend of mine, and get him to fix them.
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:17 AM   #2
History

Default Re: caution- generator problems may be contagious

When you get that fixed, drive that thing on up here and we'll get that gas gauge taken care of.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:52 AM   #3
Patrick L.

Why aren't they working ? Will they motor ? Did you try polarizing them ?
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:08 PM   #4
Purdy Swoft

It would be a good idea to have the armature checked with a growler . The problem will usually be one of three things , cutout , armature or the field coils . If you can remove the cover on the cut out , the cut out points will be visible . The cut out is like a cut off switch . When the points close allows the generator to charge . If the points in the cutout won't open and close on their own the generator can't function normally . . If the points never open , the generator will try to motor when not in use and either kill the battery or burn out the generator . If the armature is magnetized the generator can't charge , this is where the growler tool comes in handy . Being as modern vehicles have used an alternator for the last forty or fifty years instead of the generator , most shops no longer need or use a growler . I usually need to replace the field coils more often than the armature in old generators that no longer charge . The brushes , brush holders and springs will often need replacement if obviously damaged . Without the use of a growler and continuity testing device , a person will have to depend on luck or guess work . If a person doesn't have the tools and experience with a three brush generator , I would suggest a rebuilt generator or find an electric shop that can rebuild generators .

I had to depend on guess work when I had generator problems . I finally got lucky when the GMC dealer retired and gave me the growler that he had used back in the days when vehicles still used generators .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote