Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-22-2024, 11:02 AM   #1
P.S.

Default People who publish Model A videos on YouTube with information you disagree with

Today's video was scheduled for this morning so it would come out the day before opening ceremonies at the MAFCA convention in Ruidoso, NM. Obviously, the situation changed, but thought this one should get published today regardless.

So, let's hear it- Is this good advice? Or do you disagree with it? How would you do it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pW45QyoYaE

Now is your chance to go all Jeff Ross on me and I will actually read it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4BD716D5-02A8-4AE4-A307-FBED51469539.jpg (22.3 KB, 85 views)
Old 06-22-2024, 11:23 AM   #2
SDJason

Default Re: People who publish Model A videos on YouTube with information you disagree with

I like it; only thing I can think of is that if a passenger isn't that familiar with Model As, turning off the ignition (instead of pulling on the choke) might be more intuitive to them as a means to stop the engine, as that is likely what they would do in a modern car (presumably the muscle memory for that is already there; just thinking that in an emergency, they wouldn't have time to remember something they might not be familiar with, but turning off a key to stop a car engine is likely built-in to their daily habits already).
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 11:34 AM   #3
Planojc

Default Re: People who publish Model A videos on YouTube with information you disagree with

Good advise.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 01:56 PM   #4
The Geezer

This is good advice!
Can't see why anyone would disagree with this video... unless you're a mortician or have nothing better to do than be disagreeable!
The Geezer
Old 06-22-2024, 04:16 PM   #5
mcgarrett

Good video covering a subject seldom considered. I agree that passengers not familiar with Model A's would intuitively reach for the ignition key to shut off the engine just like they would do in their modern vehicle.
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 04:25 PM   #6
stickshift

I'm sure this is a good idea for driving Model A's, or any car. Always be prepared for surprises. I once knew a man that flew a private plane. He taught his wife the basics in case of a medical emergency, such as using the controls, radio, etc. A little more tricky than dealing with a Model A...but better than doing nothing
stickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 04:25 PM   #7
Brentwood Bob

Passed on to my club. Thanks Paul.
The parking brake is not the emergency brake. Appy it only when the vehicle is at a complete stop!

Last edited by Brentwood Bob; 06-23-2024 at 01:44 PM.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 06:18 PM   #8
Dino's A

Good video Paul. Something no one wants to talk about. But we must.
Thank You,
Dino Falabrino
1968 Taco Minibike

Member, Santa Anita Model A's
Arcadia Ca.
Dino's A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 06:35 PM   #9
Gene F

I am teaching my Son how to drive a car for his operators license. One of the first things I told him is if you are driving a car with a key, remember you can always pint the thing in a direction, and turn the key off.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 08:28 PM   #10
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Today's video was scheduled for this morning so it would come out the day before opening ceremonies at the MAFCA convention in Ruidoso, NM. Obviously, the situation changed, but thought this one should get published today regardless.

So, let's hear it- Is this good advice? Or do you disagree with it? How would you do it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pW45QyoYaE

Now is your chance to go all Jeff Ross on me and I will actually read it.
All good info but I am a little confused. What does the video have to do with the title " People who publish Model A videos on YouTube with information you disagree with"?
Old 06-23-2024, 07:13 AM   #11
Fhane

I think turning the key/ignition of in a modern car is the last thing you should do in most emergencies. Shutting of the key will make the car extremely hard to steer and make the car almost impossible to stop. I would think putting the car in neutral might be first, then you can somewhat control the car. I agree with Ruth on the title of this thread.
Fhane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 08:45 AM   #12
denis4x4

I have installed pull to start, push to stop ignition switches in a number of my old cars, including A's. Too, my cars have electric fuel pumps, so a quick push stops the engine as well as the gas flow. Finally, this set up eliminates the keys!
Old 06-23-2024, 10:05 AM   #13
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
All good info but I am a little confused. What does the video have to do with the title " People who publish Model A videos on YouTube with information you disagree with"?
Some people on web forums HATE the fact that YouTube is the new most effective way of bringing new people into this hobby. It was a subtle invitation to poop all over this video and point out every fault so they feel better.
Old 06-23-2024, 11:52 AM   #14
stickshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
YouTube is the new most effective way of bringing new people into this hobby.
This is true, at least in my case. When I was interested in getting a Model A and my Model T, I referred to You Tube to research and get more information to help me in making a decision of what direction I wanted to go. This aided me in deciding that I wanted a 30/31 AA because I wasn't a fan of the worm drive rear axel (my preference). Also, I decided I liked the brass era Model T because of the "horseless carriage" looks. I also definitely wanted the Rocky Mountain rear brakes and the Ruckstel rear axel. I did not know what these additions were for until I watched a few You Tube videos . You Tube was the resource that aided me in making informed decisions so I would not regret it later. So far, no regrets and I'm a happy Model "A" and "T" (and Ford Barn) fan.
stickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 12:53 PM   #15
spdway1

Thank you, PS and Model T, for this video. I also shared it on our club page! Thanks again!
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 01:10 PM   #16
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdway1 View Post
Thank you, PS and Model T, for this video. I also shared it on our club page! Thanks again!
You're welcome, brother!! You are the kind of person that inspires us to do this.
Old 06-23-2024, 11:13 PM   #17
rich40701

Someone on YouTube posted to always pull the spark lever all the way down before starting an A. Wrong!
rich40701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 01:45 AM   #18
larrys40

Paul
As always your videos have helped and exposed many to working on and driving their cars not including getting acquainted with this great Model A world we have.
Thanks for all your hard work out there ! I can fix them but am not a good videographer ! Mucho kudos to ya! Much respect!
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 03:48 AM   #19
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich40701 View Post
Someone on YouTube posted to always pull the spark lever all the way down before starting an A. Wrong!
Two more items for new guys to watch out for:

1. ONE VIDEO shows pumping the gas pedal on a Zenith to start engine. There is no accelerator pump.

2. Several over the years show pulling the choke AND releasing it when the engine is NOT turning. CHOKE DOES NOT WORK if engine is not turning.

Just saying...

Thanks Paul for all of your work and attention to details on your videos.

Last edited by Benson; 06-24-2024 at 04:00 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2024, 09:59 AM   #20
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Two more items for new guys to watch out for:

1. ONE VIDEO shows pumping the gas pedal on a Zenith to start engine. There is no accelerator pump.

2. Several over the years show pulling the choke AND releasing it when the engine is NOT turning. CHOKE DOES NOT WORK if engine is not turning.

Just saying...

Thanks Paul for all of your work and attention to details on your videos.
Thank you, Brother! Let's be clear- Those were not my videos! (I hope not anyway).

Years ago, I made a joke in a video when doing a transmission swap during a club seminar. The car was suspended by cables and chains from the rafters (designed for doing just that). I jokingly grabbed a couple cinder blocks and put them under the car saying "There, now I feel safe!". The "negativity squad" on the web forums ripped me to shreds saying how stupid I am, etc. Never once getting it was a joke. I ended up taking the video down because it was ridiculous (and just plain mean) that the old grumps didn't get the joke.

So, maybe, just maybe... When someone pulls and releases the choke, could it have been a joke?? I like to give benefit of the doubt just in case.