Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2022, 04:15 PM   #1
Oldgearz

Default Use of Chevy valves/seats in A engine

I have a 30 Coupe which had an engine rebuild by another owner in 2006. The list of things done says Chevy valves/seats were installed. In another post about valves, Brent replied that he had used 1980 Chevy Chevette (Corvette?) seats before in a B motor.. Does anyone know if this has been the common Chevy seats that are used in the model A? I have been unable to track what year/model Chevy valve seats are in my car.
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 02:12 PM   #2
gdmn852

Default Re: Use of Chevy valves/seats in A engine

VALVE SET MODERN
Part # A-6505-M Model Year 28-34
Modern stainless steel valve with a straight stem, and a -pc style guide. Valves have a tuffrided finish for improved oil retention and reduced friction. Kit comes with 8 valves, 8 guides, 8 retainers, and 16 keepers. Kit is a direct replacement that requires no modifications. 1.537" head diameter.
$147.00 SET Hello this is what your engine may have, this is from Snyders .
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 05:29 AM   #3
Patrick L.

The engine should be fed a couple good doses of anti-rejection meds though.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 07:06 AM   #4
Jim M

Henry must be grumbling!! Sacrilege
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 07:30 AM   #5
rotorwrench

The Chevette was the replacement for the Vega so it had two small engines used during its run. Isuzu made a lot of those engines. They were 1.4 and 1.6 litre ohv engines and likely did have a thin seat by comparison to others of the same diameter. The B engine has thinner areas in its top end part of the casting that come closer to water than the model A. I'm sure Brent did the research to find a seat that was safer to use on the B engine. It may not be as critical on the model A but it wouldn't hurt to be conservative when counter boring the block. The seats used on the OPs engine were likely a common replacement seat for model A unless the valves are larger in diameter than original.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 10-18-2022 at 07:37 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 08:35 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgearz View Post
I have a 30 Coupe which had an engine rebuild by another owner in 2006. The list of things done says Chevy valves/seats were installed. In another post about valves, Brent replied that he had used 1980 Chevy Chevette (Corvette?) seats before in a B motor.. Does anyone know if this has been the common Chevy seats that are used in the model A? I have been unable to track what year/model Chevy valve seats are in my car.
I buy my valve seats from a distributor warehouse that is on the east coast that carries a specific brand. The reason I listed the application instead is because this company may not have distributors in other areas where you might live. It appears the seat I use is a piece that is listed as used in nearly 1,500 other applications, so hopefully you can find one that is not as offensive to Henry as others. Here is a link to what I use...
http://www.sbi-e-catalog.com/PartDetail.aspx?PartNumber=SB1625-1&PartType=Valve%20Seats

As far as discerning what seat is used in your engine, I think it would be very difficult to know exactly without removing it where you can measure the counterbore and the diameter of the ID and OD of the seat itself. Also realize that these seats can be ordered in different depths and oversizes to fit needs (-i.e.,: loose seat in counterbore, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The B engine has thinner areas in its top end part of the casting that come closer to water than the model A. I'm sure Brent did the research to find a seat that was safer to use on the B engine. It may not be as critical on the model A but it wouldn't hurt to be conservative when counter boring the block. The seats used on the OPs engine were likely a common replacement seat for model A unless the valves are larger in diameter than original.
This is very true and why I recommend at minimum use a sonic tester to know exactly what the deck thickness is, and how much metal is around the seat area. Without knowing this, it is easy to create a problem when installing O/S 1.750" intake valves in a 'B' engine. (Guess how I know this! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 08:42 AM   #7
Flathead

If you knew the overall length, head diameter, and stem diameter, it would help narrow down what you have. I'm not clear if the engine is apart or not. Small block Chevy exhaust valves are a drop in for the Flathead V8, never compared them to an A valve.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 09:05 AM   #8
johnneilson

as far as seats go, as Brett mentioned, SBI is a great resource.
I have found that if replacing seats with something close, I have had custom seats made by Tucker Valve seats.

But, as I re-read the OP, I don't see any mention of a problem.

J
Old 10-19-2022, 07:00 PM   #9
Oldgearz

Thanks to all for the info. The engine is not apart and I don't have an identified problem other than 6% lower compression in #2. I am just trying to figure out what I might have. Henry may be rollin' but I'm not! The shop that put them in thought something was being improved.
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote