Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2022, 11:18 AM   #1
Newc

Default Sales Slowing Down????

I scan back a week or so for Sold notices and it seems that Sales are slowing. Mine are dead. The economy has caught up with the internet and all else now?
We have a big- last of the yr Swap soon here at Albany, Or, and I figure on taking cheap junk-cause it always sells. One yr I took cheap furniture and sold it all. Thoughts?? Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 11:25 AM   #2
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Sales Slowing Down????

I don't think sales are slowing down, but I know for sure the mode of selling things has changed significantly.

I've posted items for sale on Fordbarn, HAMB and Instagram and had stuff for sale @ Hershey.

Almost all of my items on Instagram sold with 24 hours at my asking price. Items on the HAMB took 1-4 weeks to sell.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 06:29 PM   #3
Karl

Certainly in New Zealand I think sales of vintage cars are slowing. Rising interest rates and a general lack of interest in older vehicles is probably behind this . Muscle cars from the sixties and good (ie rare) vintages are still selling but at lesser prices. I'm not sure what its like in the States but here rising Gas prices, cost of Living and Mortgage rates are really hurting people -Old cars are a luxury that many can no longer afford .
Old 10-31-2022, 09:47 PM   #4
Tinker

I think things are slowing down. But I believe things are still good in the states and places. We will see how it plays out, but we have not slowed down here too much other then the conflict amongst ourselves. Or not....

Things cost more as companies make record profit. Phones sell, homes sell, cars. purses... Americans have two speeds, full throttle and turbo. Too bad we can't find a united direction right now. We are too worried about furriers in schools and little things that don't effect us or true.

Tomorrow is another day. Maybe a day to look at healthcare cost and people as people. Not a burden. Social Security has been classified as a "entitlement". Ain't that some shit after it's been totally funded by your input. haha whatever though...

I guess I always think about Henry in the 20's. He had his issues. But the 5$ day allowed workers to buy his product. You can build a hammer that is amazing, but if no one can afford to buy it, who cares.

Last edited by Tinker; 10-31-2022 at 10:03 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 02:15 AM   #5
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
I think things are slowing down. But I believe things are still good in the states and places. We will see how it plays out, but we have not slowed down here too much other then the conflict amongst ourselves. Or not....

Things cost more as companies make record profit. Phones sell, homes sell, cars. purses... Americans have two speeds, full throttle and turbo. Too bad we can't find a united direction right now. We are too worried about furriers in schools and little things that don't effect us or true.

Tomorrow is another day. Maybe a day to look at healthcare cost and people as people. Not a burden. Social Security has been classified as a "entitlement". Ain't that some shit after it's been totally funded by your input. haha whatever though...

I guess I always think about Henry in the 20's. He had his issues. But the 5$ day allowed workers to buy his product. You can build a hammer that is amazing, but if no one can afford to buy it, who cares..

Tinker, The $5 day had its benefits and its problems. It was a huge public relations win for Ford while proving to be a failed social engineering experiment. That 5 dollar bill had so many strings attached to it that it alienated his own employees. Can you imagine your employer sending men to your home unannounced to investigate your home life?
Old 11-01-2022, 06:05 AM   #6
ronn

Newc, there is a lot that affects pricing. economy is just one. I notice certain times of yr are better then others.

in the end, if you price cars and parts fairly, they will sell. I do notice some fellas on the swap with high prices and their parts most often never sell.

you can push volume at low prices or demand top dollar and sell 1 in 10 customers.
everyone has a diff idea to value......
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 06:14 AM   #7
Tim Ayers

To add to this, I've also noticed unrealistic or pricing decisions being made unaware of the current market.

For example: I am not sure why since I really like this body style, but phaetons have taken a huge hit in price. Many will sit even at a decent price. You almost have to have a give away price now days.

Asking $200-300 for oil pans. Very common stock intakes for $100; especially cast iron. A cast iron intake deal will go south once someone gets the shipping quote. Untested motor cores for $750-1,000. These are just a few examples of a seller being unrealistic in their pricing expectations in today's market.

Shipping kills a lot of deals too. I shipped a F-1 oil pan recently from NJ to AZ. The pan sold for $50 and the shipping was $64. I even shopped around and that was the best price.

If you really want to sell something, it pays to do a little homework.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 11-01-2022 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-01-2022, 07:28 AM   #8
art ebeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I don't think sales are slowing down, but I know for sure the mode of selling things has changed significantly.

I've posted items for sale on Fordbarn, HAMB and Instagram and had stuff for sale @ Hershey.

Almost all of my items on Instagram sold with 24 hours at my asking price. Items on the HAMB took 1-4 weeks to sell.
Tim, How do you find items for sale in Instagram? Art
art ebeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 12:16 PM   #9
A bones

This is the fourth quarter of the year.
Monies are now directed toward Home ( Winter ) and Holidays...
Old 11-01-2022, 12:46 PM   #10
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by art ebeling View Post
Hi Art:

That's a great question. I am really no expert, but I get things "sent" to me from my feed by others that I'm following. I don't do Facebook, but I'd assume it's works similar to that platform.

There is a gentleman on there called East Coast Mike. Mike is a great guy and runs a service called Partswapper. He will repost your add on his page. He has 40,800 followers as of today.

So, when I post an ad, those people following me will see my ad and then the 40,800 following Mike will also be fed the ad if I ask him to repost it.

You can search for items since many people hashtag their ads.

It's pretty remarkable really.
Old 11-01-2022, 03:32 PM   #11
kirkf

I follow partswapper on instagram. Although not officially an early ford site, it seems to mostly be early for parts.

https://www.instagram.com/partswapper/

With facebook the scammers are out in full force, and although I have bought items off there in the past, given the number of scam warnings on there now, I would be afraid to risk my money.

Kirk
kirkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 06:08 PM   #12
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
I scan back a week or so for Sold notices and it seems that Sales are slowing. Mine are dead. The economy has caught up with the internet and all else now?
We have a big- last of the yr Swap soon here at Albany, Or, and I figure on taking cheap junk-cause it always sells. One yr I took cheap furniture and sold it all. Thoughts?? Newc
In sales, a week does not constitute a trend. No need to sound the alarm, "The economy" and antique cars are often in different places.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 07:37 PM   #13
35fordtn

Mike the Partswapper guy is a good dude. He’s gonna be at my place the next couple days and we may do a live swap meet on Instagram. I need to thin down a lot.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 08:14 PM   #14
Zeke3

I put Instagram on my phone and follow Third Gen and some other Early Ford sources, but I really haven't used it to buy anything. I guess I will have to figure that out. When I saw a part posted by Little Dearborn that I wanted, I called them about it and completed the purchase.

Michael will there be any announcement it you decide to do the live swap meet? I really don't look at Instagram very often.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 03:56 AM   #15
flatford8

I started looking at Facebook old Ford related posts more. Some of the answers to questions are ridiculous.......it seems that people are just screwing around and being clowns....this time of year the political ads are too much.....that will be over next week. I think I’m going to have a go at Instagram and check out Third Gen and this Parts swapper guy. ....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 06:05 AM   #16
ronn

very good thread........

enjoy hearing what others are doing, aside from my "dead" cl. ads.
Old 11-02-2022, 06:07 AM   #17
ronn

ps I agree Tim,

phaetons have taken a huge hit. the red headed step child......

in the end, good for us if we want one.
Old 11-02-2022, 07:17 AM   #18
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
Mike the Partswapper guy is a good dude. He’s gonna be at my place the next couple days and we may do a live swap meet on Instagram. I need to thin down a lot.
Ah neat. I'll certainly be watching that. I'm sure there are some goodies in your stash.
Old 11-02-2022, 07:37 AM   #19
35fordtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke3 View Post
I put Instagram on my phone and follow Third Gen and some other Early Ford sources, but I really haven't used it to buy anything. I guess I will have to figure that out. When I saw a part posted by Little Dearborn that I wanted, I called them about it and completed the purchase.

Michael will there be any announcement it you decide to do the live swap meet? I really don't look at Instagram very often.
Zeke "If" we do it, it will be tonight or tommorow night..

Follow Partswapper on Instagram. He is a great source for selling things as well since eBay has went down the tube a bit. Also irontrapfinds is a good one to follow.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 10:15 AM   #20
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by art ebeling View Post
Instagram groups like "parts swapper".
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote