Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-03-2015, 06:51 PM   #1
popsmodela

Default Model A Crankshaft pulley replacement.

I have a two piece crankshaft pulley that needs replacing. The new two piece pulley and the old crankshaft sleeve do not match (different manufacturers I guess). Any suggestions on how to get the old sleeve off the crankshaft so I can use the new sleeve? I hope the question makes sense.
popsmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:03 PM   #2
aermotor

Default Re: Model A Crankshaft pulley replacement.

Probably cutting partially through with a dremel type cutter. If your engine is out I would replace with single piece pulley - it will last your life time unless man handled and broken.
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:23 PM   #3
popsmodela

What a great idea. I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks
popsmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:28 PM   #4
BILL WILLIAMSON

They sell a 2 piece pulley that screws together with a L/H thread & when installed, looks like a stock pulley. I "think" Sacramento Vintage has them, you gotta' look close to find it in the catalog, or call them.
Bill W.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:22 AM   #5
RandyinUtah

I agree with Bill the 2 piece pulley that screws together is the way to go. Also make sure the crank nut is bottoming out on the pulley and not the end of the crankshaft or you will have trouble keeping the nut on.
RandyinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:14 AM   #6
JohnLaVoy

When we reviewed the available pulley, one piece two piece option we found that the one piece was the only one that was the correct length. Snyder's has sense made a two piece that is correct but we still lean towards the one piece because the only failures we see are on the two piece where the connect.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:44 AM   #7
ericr

what I am reading gives me the idea that a two-piece pulley is not the way to go since there is no guarantee that any given replacement will fit the stub on the crank, which defeats the purpose of going two-piece.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:04 AM   #8
CarlG

I went with Bill Stipe's one piece machined pulley. It's a PITA to install if the engine is in the car, but it's a once in a lifetime event, and well worth the effort. If the engine is out of the car, it's a no brainer.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:07 PM   #9
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
I went with Bill Stipe's one piece machined pulley. It's a PITA to install if the engine is in the car, but it's a once in a lifetime event, and well worth the effort. If the engine is out of the car, it's a no brainer.
Hey Carl,
X2 on that useage !
Can't go wrong, IMO, using Stipe made equipment and it only ever has to be done once/right. Mine was out of car ...so easy !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:09 PM   #10
Dollar Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
what I am reading gives me the idea that a two-piece pulley is not the way to go since there is no guarantee that any given replacement will fit the stub on the crank, which defeats the purpose of going two-piece.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I understand it the reason for the two piece crank pulley is to allow you to change the 1 piece crankshaft seal without pulling the radiator as is necessary with the one piece pulley?

I'm not aware of anyone who sells either half of the 2-piece pulley so you will always get a matched stub and pulley.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Actually the reason for the two piece pulley is so you can change a broken pulley without lifting the engine. Most of us are using the two piece rope seal, but changing a one piece seal would have a slight advantage when using the 2 piece pulley. The pan and front cover would still need to be removed for the one piece seal change.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:50 PM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
Probably cutting partially through with a dremel type cutter. If your engine is out I would replace with single piece pulley - it will last your life time unless man handled and broken.

I did one that way. Cut almost all the way through 4 times around the pulley and used a big screwdriver in the slot to twist and crack it into sections.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:44 AM   #13
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
I did one that way. Cut almost all the way through 4 times around the pulley and used a big screwdriver in the slot to twist and crack it into sections.
Dollar Bill, and Mike, the foregoing helps explain my prior post. I am simply slightly disappointed that what I thought would be a neat labor-saving retrofit, the two-piece pulley, is not quite the panacea I thought it would be...the guys are saying that replacements won't necessarily fit the sub, that it has to be pried off, cut off, whatever, all in am awkward, tightly-enclosed space.

I know that removing the radiator-hood-hose connections-headlamp conduits is a hassle, I simply thought the two-piece pulley would be simple. Seems like not much in our cars as we know them today is.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote