Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-30-2021, 11:31 AM   #1
HD Rider

Default 40 Pickup Hood Release

I've been searching for a couple of years for a hood release handle for my 40 pickup. I finally emailed Bob Drake and Dennis Carpenter Reproductions. They said they don't know when of even if they will ever reproduce more.

My question now is: Are the pickup and car hoods the same? If all i need to do is use car trim and ornament, I'm will to go that route as I need to be able to open the hood.
Is there another source I haven't found yet? Being in eastern Montana, used parts are hard to find.
HD Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:37 PM   #2
dave collette

Default Re: 40 Pickup Hood Release

The pickup and car hoods and trim handle are different.Sorry to tell you that. I restored my pickup about 8 years ago when you could by reproduction.Advertise on the Barn .You would be surprised what out there. Dave collette
dave collette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:58 PM   #3
Zeke3

If you put a want ad on the Barn, be sure to read some of the posts about the techniques that the scam artists typically use to respond to the ads. Just do a search here for scam should get you some information. I had really good luck with a want ad the time I used it.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:29 PM   #4
Floyd

I agree that you will find it, look for a used one. I actually found a NOS set at Lil Dearborn. Make sure you get the correct part which is 01C-8215 which is about 7 inches long. The car handles are listed 01A-xxxx. The number is cast into the underside of the handle so easy to tell which one is correct. the car handles I believe are shorter. Using them will leave part of the nose trim piece exposed.
Interesting that lots of good project cars and trucks come out of MT as it is dry.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:23 PM   #5
landshark

i am looking for a pickup hood ornament also ordered one years ago from drake had the right box but had a car ornament inside talked to someone at drake last fall and was told they might have some this year but had no details
landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:42 PM   #6
Floyd

The same old story of new versus OEM applies here. The reproduction ornament does not fit the hood curve without metal work. An old one will probably need to be replated but that is better than reshaping the hood nose. Of course if the hood is all beat up in the nose, then you will be reshaping it anyway. The OEM one just fits perfectly.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:47 PM   #7
Ken/Alabama

The pickup handle is a little bit longer than the passenger car handle. I put a NOS pickup handle on my 40 30 years ago and no one has noticed the difference.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote