Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-14-2019, 11:22 AM   #1
fried okra

Location: Daniel Island,SouthCarolina/Knoxville, Tennessee/Sanibel Island,Florida
Default Coupe versus Tudor survival rates

I haven't actually cranked the numbers, but Ford produced about twice as many Tudors as Coupes.

But I see about twice as many Coupes for sale as Tudors.

I'm trying to figure out why the Coupes seem to have survived at a higher rate, or at least being sold more often.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?
fried okra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
GerryAllen

Default Re: Coupe versus Tudor survival rates

I have wondered the same, I own a coupe and enjoy it greatly. I see the advantages of one type of A over the other whether a PU or what have you.
Through happen stance I came upon my 1930 coupe and would not consider any other type if I were to buy another.

Gerry Birch Bay WA
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 12:07 PM   #3
ronn

one thought might be the person who originally bought a coupe, was a party of one or two.

the tudors sold to families of many and were probably run into the ground as they were passed along.

Im sure a good number of pickups were also sold, but again, would have been run to their last mile out of practicality/necessity.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 12:10 PM   #4
fried okra

Location: Daniel Island,SouthCarolina/Knoxville, Tennessee/Sanibel Island,Florida

I'm thinking maybe the Tudor's were commonly sold for utilitarian family use and the coupes were for more sporty purposes. Therefore the Tudors just plain wore out and didn't survive as much as other body styles.

Just a wild guess on my part though.
fried okra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:42 PM   #5
CHuDWah

Coupes were used for "commercial" purposes such as traveling salesmen, police patrols, etc, so many probably got used as much as tudors. But they're popular with restorers and hot rodders which is one reason for their survival. And they're sporty and therefore likely were also popular with singles, couples, or families with small children.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 05:35 PM   #6
Kurt in NJ

tudors were considered "donor" cars too ----cut up to get subframes, or compete drivetrains to fix a open car or coupe
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 05:36 PM   #7
redmodelt

Could be also that as families grow the coupes get sold more often to get larger car. Once they get a tudor, it stay in the families longer so less of them come on the market. The people I know that have the tudors seem to hold onto them longer.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:27 PM   #8
31Cabriolet68-C

Wonder if it might be fundamentally related to the overall sizes of the two very different roof designs!?!?
Once the family Tudor starts springing leaks across the back roofline, then the rear seat gets wet, and, soon enough, nobody's going to want to sit back there...
Also, over time: Less leaks, less rust...
In a coupe even with a rumble seat, roof leaks drain differently.
Also, long-term, there's a lot less roof wood to dry-rot away in the Coupe...
Good question.......
Thanks
31Cabriolet68-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:40 PM   #9
Tudortomnz

Would not someone just fix a leaky roof with some bitumen solution? My Tudor had this over the leaky original roof when I got it. Any Model A body will leak after many years but I would think Tudors might not come up for sale as regular as Coupe models. When I became keen on A's in late '60's, many Sedans still in good driveable condition but all the Coupes [ std 5W & Spt fabric] were rough as guts & mostly off the road. Could be they had hard lives with single male owners [ sporty] & Tudors & Fordors were looked after ex family cars. Nowdays, reasonably common to see a local 5W Coupe for sale here. I would love a Sport Coupe but would never sell my Tudor.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:54 PM   #10
Pmsqrd

Just a guess but coupes were the perfect commuter car. If you look at old factory parking lot pictures from the 30/40/50’s you can spot a lot of coupes. They are also dominant in old high school parking lot.l
Pmsqrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:37 AM   #11
ericr

do you guys think most coupes came with rumble seats?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 01:41 PM   #12
ursus

Years ago I recall seeing a lot of coupes that had been converted to pickups, either by using kits sold for that purpose or by cobbling up something to suit the owner's needs. Most of these had seen very hard use, would be a challenge to restore back to coupe status, and were sold cheap, if a buyer could be found. I seldom see these pickup or ute conversions these days and wonder what happened to them - were they scrapped for parts or hot rods?
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:01 PM   #13
37 Coupe

A neighborhood friend the same age as me,now near 74,inherited his grandpa's '31 coupe when he was 15 or 16.On one outing we had parked it on a busy city street in broad daylight and when we came out the rumble seat lid was open and both cushions gone,the original ones,car was never restored. This would have been in 1962 and we always wondered who would be so low or how good would you have actually felt to steal these for your own restoration. We pretty much knew everyone back then who had a coupe or a roadster and knew old car club members none of which we believed would do such a thing. Years later I knew of a local guy who always seemed to be able to "find" some of the missing items like this but never the cushions that he probably sold. Yes he is still wheeling and dealing in the old car hobby at near 80 years old.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:16 PM   #14
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudortomnz View Post
Would not someone just fix a leaky roof with some bitumen solution? My Tudor had this over the leaky original roof when I got it. Any Model A body will leak after many years but I would think Tudors might not come up for sale as regular as Coupe models. When I became keen on A's in late '60's, many Sedans still in good driveable condition but all the Coupes [ std 5W & Spt fabric] were rough as guts & mostly off the road. Could be they had hard lives with single male owners [ sporty] & Tudors & Fordors were looked after ex family cars. Nowdays, reasonably common to see a local 5W Coupe for sale here. I would love a Sport Coupe but would never sell my Tudor.

If you think a Tudor leaks, just wait 'til you get a Sport Coupe!
Old 12-15-2019, 02:28 PM   #15
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
do you guys think most coupes came with rumble seats?

No. Only Sport Coupe, DeLuxe Roadster and Cabriolet came with rumble seat - it was optional on others. There's a tendency of restorers to convert trunks to rumble seat because they're "cute", "sporty", whatever. Trunks are way more practical. There probably are more rumble seat coupes now than Ford ever produced.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:33 PM   #16
Tudortomnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
If you think a Tudor leaks, just wait 'til you get a Sport Coupe!
Hi. Yeah, I agree! Reason I am happy to own a Tudor & dream of a Sport Coupe because of the expense & complexity of the top!
BTW, I had my Tudor top renewed over 45 years ago & it still looks great. The original top was only 40 years old when I got the car but was leaking & covered in bitumen in places. I think the materials we have in recent years are far superior than what was around in the Model A era.
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:50 PM   #17
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
Years ago I recall seeing a lot of coupes that had been converted to pickups, either by using kits sold for that purpose or by cobbling up something to suit the owner's needs. Most of these had seen very hard use, would be a challenge to restore back to coupe status, and were sold cheap, if a buyer could be found. I seldom see these pickup or ute conversions these days and wonder what happened to them - were they scrapped for parts or hot rods?

Dunno whether it's true but I've read many of those conversions were done during WW2 when gas was rationed and "trucks" qualified for a higher allotment. Anyway, I'd guess most were restored, rodded or scrapped.

When coupe trunks grew larger later in the 30s, some makes had models with factory truck beds - some even slid in and out like drawers.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:24 PM   #18
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudortomnz View Post
Hi. Yeah, I agree! Reason I am happy to own a Tudor & dream of a Sport Coupe because of the expense & complexity of the top!
BTW, I had my Tudor top renewed over 45 years ago & it still looks great. The original top was only 40 years old when I got the car but was leaking & covered in bitumen in places. I think the materials we have in recent years are far superior than what was around in the Model A era.

We restored a 30 Sporty in the 70s. It was a "yard car" that had set for years with NO top. The wood bows were shot but usable for patterns. Fortunately the metal hardware was there in decent shape. The only thing missing was the landau irons and we lucked out finding an original pair without much searching.

Correct material was unobtainium so we used a L-B kit in canvas. Aside from the instructions being not very helpful, installing it wasn't too difficult - mostly just figuring out where the pieces went and making sure everything fit before tacking it down. It turned out really nice...that is, until I got caught in a downpour at a show. The top didn't leak much but it sure wicked water around the edges - course it ended up with stains from the wood and metal.