Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2015, 08:38 AM   #1
Road Journey

Default Brake Lights on Constantly

1929 Model A brake lights are on constantly. Would appreciate any info regarding location of brake light switch, things to check, etc. Thanks.
Road Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:01 AM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: Brake Lights on Constantly

The switch for 28-29 is on the transmission, on the cross member for 30-31.
Just grab your test light and check for power at both posts.
Your switch is either just stuck or misadjusted with power going straight thru it. I think you'll find power at both posts rather than just one. Its pretty simple and easy to fix.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:13 AM   #3
Marshall V. Daut

As Patrick states, your brake light switch should be mounted on top of the shift tower. Loosen the two rear bolts that secure the switch to the housing and slide the switch towards the rear of the car. The holes are slotted to allow fore and aft adjustment. By moving the switch to the back, you are increasing the tension on the spring that returns the switch's plunger. Moving the rod forward inside the switch breaks the internal connection that sends electricity to the brake light. To test, move the switch as far back as the slotted holes allow. Then tighten the two bolts. Check the brake light. If the light is off, then it's just a matter of moving the switch fore or aft so that when the pedal is depressed, the brake light turns on, when released the light turns off. The sweet spot will be somewhere between the extremes of the two slotted holes.
However, if the brake light still stays on after moving the switch to the rear, there is most likely an internal short between the two terminals that allows electricity to reach the brake light bulb. Disassembly of the switch will then be required to correct. A brake light switch is a pretty simple animal to disassemble and re-assemble. Just be careful not break the tabs.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:20 AM   #4
Marshall V. Daut

Another thing to check - Make sure the upper floorboard is not restricting the brake pedal from returning to its topmost position. That in effect is like lightly depressing the brake pedal and may be why the brake light is constantly on. To check, simply remove the upper floorboard and see if the pedal continues moving to its top position (towards the rear of the car). If so, the problem can be corrected by adjusting the short brake rod from the equalizer to the brake pedal, or by creating a tunnel cutout in the floorboard itself for the brake pedal arm to settle. The pedal itself may be bent and hitting the floorboard too soon. But first find out if the floorboard is stopping the brake pedal from returning to its topmost position, and then go from there. Also check the position of the stoplight switch afterwards, as described in my previous posting.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:24 AM   #5
jmeckel

Another physical issue can be if you have carpet on the floor it also can keep the peddle from returning all the way as it should and causing the light to stay on.

"If you choose to not decide, you still have made a choice!" RUSH

Don't tell me what you know..... Tell me what you have done.
jmeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:41 AM   #6
ModelAMike1930

I had the same problem with my 1930 pickup. I ordered a brake petal return spring for Mac's. Part number 28-22297-1. This should do the trick for you.
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:20 AM   #7
BlueSunoco

If the switch is bad A&L makes the best replacement,,,,,, for a '30-'31 anyway I don't know if they build the '28-'29's
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:56 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

See my pictures in #9 reply of the link below. Notice the bottom picture shows my spring broke and my switch wouldn't turn off. You have to look closely to see the broken part coiled inside the rest of the spring. As Marshall noted, be sure to heat the 4 tabs so they don't break.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...+switch+repair
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote