Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-27-2023, 07:03 PM   #1
Mac VP

Default VanPelt transmission training school - Update

If you’ve registered for the event but haven’t received the hotel details, please contact me and I will forward the hotel link and cover letter to you…… Mac

This is now scheduled to take place this September 13th and 14th, 2023 and would be held at our shop in the Cincinnati area (Ohio). It’s been kicked around for several years and I’ve decided that if we do it, it’s going to be now. I’m looking for guys (and gals who are interested) who would like to join us for two days of intense schooling in the early Ford 3 speed transmissions…..specifically the 1932-52 toploader and 40-48 sideloader types. We’re going to limit the group to about 20 attendees. This will be very hands on….watching how we do things, but trying things out as well. The school will be free of charge but attendees will be responsible for their own transportation to and from Cincinnati, plus your hotel accommodations. We’ll provide the mid day meals.

What I would like to know is how many would commit to this. I would work with a slightly smaller group but we’re hoping to have 15 to 20 attendees. For now, a verbal commitment is needed and helpful for us to make this move forward. Specific details will be provided in this post, and directly to the attendees.

I will try to answer any questions here on this forum but will also reply to private emails. The email address is [email protected].

This announcement is being repeated over on the HAMB (Jalopy Journal).
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com

Last edited by Mac VP; 04-29-2023 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Update
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:05 PM   #2
Reds34

Default Re: VanPelt transmission training school

Wow! Kudos to you Mac. That is an awesome opportunity and offer!

Red
Reds34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:23 PM   #3
Krylon32

Wish I wasn't so dam old, great opportunity to learn from the master. Gsry
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:23 PM   #4
Tim Ayers

Mac,

This is an incredible offer. So generous of you to offer this. Sent you an email.

Thanks again,

Tim
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:56 PM   #5
cjshaker

I would absolutely commit to it!
I live 2 hours from Cinci, so not a terrible drive for me. And we just talked on the phone a couple weeks ago about all the parts and trannys I have. I'm wanting to learn more about them, and what is best to use in my '37 to make it more shift friendly. Over 40 years of mechanic experience, including several Ford Toploader rebuilds (the '60s Toploaders), so I'm all about hands on, and working on old stuff is nothing new, and actually exciting to me!
Oh, and I bleed Ford blue!
cjshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 08:17 PM   #6
35fordtn

Mac,
The free of charge commitment inpresses the heck out of me. To share knowledge, in this day in age of this hobby is cructial. Hat's off to you to put the business to the side for 2 days to share your knowledge free of charge.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 09:24 PM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

Mac, this sounds like a super offer for anyone who's into working on these old Ford's. My only suggestion would be to also include some instructions on assembling the later type gears, with improved 2nd and 3rd gear synchronization, from '39 and later transmissions into the '36 and earlier top load cases. There are a lot of folks interested in doing this conversion.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 03-28-2023 at 10:24 AM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 10:27 PM   #8
tubman

I would also be interested, as it could easily be on way from Minnesota to Florida next fall.

Would it be possible to "audit" this class? I may be too old to participate, but I'd sure like to watch and maybe met some of the folks.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 07:50 AM   #9
Mac VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Mac, this sounds like a super offer for anyone who's into working on these old Ford's. My only suggestion would be to also include some instructions on assembling the later type gears, with improved 2nd and 3rd gear synchronization, from '39 and later transmissions into the '36 and earlier top load cases. There is a lot of folks interested in doing this conversion.
That sort of information is a highly guarded secret, but we will open up the door to the inner sanctum of knowledge on that subject.....
www.vanpeltsales.com
Old 03-28-2023, 07:52 AM   #10
totto

Mac: I have a '35 transmission, could I bring that to the "training school"? Any idea "when" in September it will be? I am interested as well.
totto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 07:56 AM   #11
Mac VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I would also be interested, as it could easily be on way from Minnesota to Florida next fall.

Would it be possible to "audit" this class? I may be too old to participate, but I'd sure like to watch and maybe met some of the folks.
I wouldn't rule that out, but I would like to get a handle on the number of people who want the training before I okay that request. I would not mind it at all, but our space is a bit limited and I had a tentative 20 person limit for the total. Let's see how the numbers work out in the next couple weeks, and I will let you know. I did put your name on the list here for the event. Thanks for responding!
Mac
www.vanpeltsales.com
Old 03-28-2023, 08:03 AM   #12
Mac VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by totto View Post
Mac: I have a '35 transmission, could I bring that to the "training school"? Any idea "when" in September it will be? I am interested as well.
The dates are a bit flexible right now, although we would not plan for anything during the last week of the month. I hope to be able to firm up the dates within a week or two at the most.
As for bringing a transmission, we might permit one or two "samples" to be brought in, but we don't want anyone to bring a trans that they hoped might be rebuilt during the school as there will not be time for that. Also, we have samples of practically every version of early Ford transmission here already.

If you are interested in being added to the list, please send me an email. It's not a commitment on your part yet.
www.vanpeltsales.com
Old 03-28-2023, 08:05 AM   #13
Mac VP

Just a side note here.........if you want to be added to the list, please send me an email ([email protected]) with your name, phone number, and obviously we need the email address in order to let you know further details. Thanks!
www.vanpeltsales.com
Old 03-28-2023, 08:46 AM   #14
pistonbroke

Hi Mac, I will be in my new home in east MO by then , so the drive would be doable. Count me in if there is room. Tim
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:58 AM   #15
Veeder

This is very cool of you!!! I will sign up in a few days once some wedding plans are known
Veeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:58 AM   #16
rockfla

I would certainly be interested and I have a 33 4cyl trans I need to go through and could bring along IF needed!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:20 AM   #17
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac VP View Post
That sort of information is a highly guarded secret, but we will open up the door to the inner sanctum of knowledge on that subject.....

Mac, thank you for responding to my posted suggestion. Your response sounds reasoable, as I am sure some attendees will be asking you questions on this subject anyway. I can also understand your reasoning behind guarding your secrets on this conversion as a good business decision.
I have also learned a few things (tricks) about doing this conversion myself that I would probably hesitate to divulge.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 01:32 PM   #18
flatford8

delete
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:49 PM   #19
mhsprecher

I am interested. I assume it would be a weekend. I want to attend the Old Car Festival in Dearborn and Model A Day in Gilmore, so that might conflict. I'd love it if it were during the week.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 05:15 AM   #20
Mac VP

The interest in the training is very good. I’d like to ask that those who’ve expressed interest here in this forum to please use the email ([email protected]) to pass their contact info along. In some cases, I only have their Fordbarn handle. I’ll need to formalize the list and I don’t want to miss anyone.

As for the time of week, it’ll most likely to be a Wednesday-Thursday session with Friday being a travel home day. I might keep Friday morning open for any wrap up I have to do. Folks would have to arrive by Tuesday evening latest. There’s a Holiday Inn Express very close by.

Right now we’ve heard from more than a dozen, and I am building the list in the order received.

This has been a few years of consideration and will involve basically shutting down the work at the shop for at least a week. So, even if it’s a wild success and a few people miss the opportunity, I don’t think I would try to plan for another training school after this one. This is the only chance to get to the training and to soak up some of our knowledge and experience.
www.vanpeltsales.com