Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-27-2023, 01:16 PM   #1
cjshaker

Default '37 high low horn identification

I have the single horn and bracket for my '37 Coupe, but wanted to change to the dual horn set-up used on Deluxes. What tone (high or low) did the Standard use, and how can you identify the other? I have "The 1937 Ford Book", but it doesn't say if there's a way to identify them. The one I have is original, as far as I can tell, but there is no part number to identify it as high or low. So how do I know if I find another if it is the high or the low?

Also, if anyone has a Deluxe dual horn bracket that they want to part with, please let me know. They remake the brackets for the truck, but nobody makes them for the car, and I have not been able to locate one.
cjshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 01:24 PM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: '37 high low horn identification

Long one is low, short is high, I believe. Listen to it.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 01:30 PM   #3
cjshaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
Long one is low, short is high, I believe. Listen to it.

Listening to it isn't really an option when at a swap meet or looking online, and I have nothing to compare to with the one I have anyway. So is the Standard horn a Low or High? My horn is 11 1/2" total, 7 1/2" for the megaphone. Anyone have dimensions for the other?

Also, the bracket mounts both horns at the same point. So, if in fact they are different lengths, does that mean the horns are different distances from the splash pan with the holes for the horns?
Old 03-27-2023, 04:12 PM   #4
Zeke3

I am pretty sure the horns are the same length. I will check and report back later.

The June, 1937 Chassis Parts List show the diaphragm (78-13811-B) used in the 37 standard horn assembly 78-13802, is different than the diaphragms used in the high and low horns used on the deluxe horn assembly, 78-13800-A. The horn assembly part numbers include the horn and bracket. So, I conclude the tone of the standard horn would be different than either of the deluxe horns.

Last edited by Zeke3; 03-27-2023 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Added information.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 04:48 PM   #5
DavidG

Both '37 deluxe horns are definitely the same length and the standard horn shares the same trumpet, center section base, and cover and I have yet to see a '33-'37 horn with any markings indicating which is the high or low. But if you look down the throat of the trumpet of an assembled '36-'37 horn, one will have a cup washer along with the hex head of the bolt retaining the diaphragm and the other won't have the cup washer. Now you ask which is low and which is high given the different diaphragm retention hardware, but I am away from my car stuff and I won't even try a wild-ass guess.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 04:54 PM   #6
petehoovie

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 03-27-2023 at 10:15 PM.
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 05:45 PM   #7
cjshaker

I thought it would be odd to have them different lengths, especially given the mount in relation to the holes in the splash pan.

Mine has the cup, so that at least gives me a way to identify the remaining one. Thank you for that bit of info. I wouldn't think the Standard horn tone would be different than both of the Deluxe ones, but that is just a guess, and I can't find any info relating to the subject. If I were to continue guessing, based on experience, the Standard would have a lower tone, while the added horn on the Deluxe would be an octave higher (or vice versa). Tones must work together in octaves to have any semblance of order. A half octave change would sound weird to the human ear.

Pete, are those yours? Are they for sale?
Old 03-27-2023, 06:42 PM   #8
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjshaker View Post

Pete, are those yours? Are they for sale?
No, just a picture for you...

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 03-27-2023, 06:47 PM   #9
Zeke3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Both '37 deluxe horns are definitely the same length and the standard horn shares the same trumpet, center section base, and cover and I have yet to see a '33-'37 horn with any markings indicating which is the high or low. But if you look down the throat of the trumpet of an assembled '36-'37 horn, one will have a cup washer along with the hex head of the bolt retaining the diaphragm and the other won't have the cup washer. Now you ask which is low and which is high given the different diaphragm retention hardware, but I am away from my car stuff and I won't even try a wild-ass guess.
The horns are 10" in length overall and, as DavidG stated, there are no external markings on them. I did notice that one of my horns has the cup washer and one doesn't. In the chassis parts book different part numbers are called out for the diaphragms for the Deluxe horns, 78-13811-A for the high pitch and 78-13812 for the low pitch.
Old 03-27-2023, 07:10 PM   #10
cjshaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke3 View Post
The horns are 10" in length overall and, as DavidG stated, there are no external markings on them. I did notice that one of my horns has the cup washer and one doesn't. In the chassis parts book different part numbers are called out for the diaphragms for the Deluxe horns, 78-13811-A for the high pitch and 78-13812 for the low pitch.

Are those lengths given in the book? I ask because as I mentioned, mine is 11 1/2" overall length. In every other aspect, it appears to be correct for the car. The fact it was sitting inside of the trunk, along with all the other disassembled parts for the car, makes me think it is the correct horn for a '37 Standard. It has the correct bracket, and as you can tell, the patina matches the rest of the car.

Old 03-28-2023, 09:44 AM   #11
Zeke3

I measured the 10” dimension with a tape measure on a horn without the bracket. I purchased my pair a couple of years ago and have not installed them on the car yet.
Old 03-28-2023, 10:53 AM   #12
Blindhuckster

I have my horns off my 37 deluxe coupe to clean the contacts and make some adjustments before I repaint them. They are identical in size. After testing them this morning, the one with the cup washer and hex nut is the low note. The other one without the cup washer is the high note. I hope this helps. Nate Anello
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8684.jpg (50.3 KB, 55 views)
Blindhuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:27 AM   #13
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindhuckster View Post
I have my horns off my 37 deluxe coupe to clean the contacts and make some adjustments before I repaint them. They are identical in size. After testing them this morning, the one with the cup washer and hex nut is the low note. The other one without the cup washer is the high note. I hope this helps. Nate Anello

Old 03-28-2023, 02:15 PM   #14
cjshaker

Quote:

Could you please measure the length of your horns? I'm now wondering if the one horn I have is even correct for '37.

That does seem to support my thought that the Standard uses the low tone, which would sound better than the high as a single tone. Then the added high tone on the Deluxe produces an even better sound, when added with the low.
Old 03-28-2023, 05:10 PM   #15
DavidG

Your horn's trumpet does look to be be longer than those in Pete Hoovie's photos in #6 above (which appear to be correct). Part of the reason may be the shape of your horn's trumpet is different than the typical '36-'37 Sparton horn trumpet.

Last edited by DavidG; 03-28-2023 at 09:46 PM. Reason: spelling error
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 06:44 PM   #16
cjshaker

Yes, they do appear shorter than mine, but the bracket is different, so I wonder if those are actually '37? If I had the front together, I could measure to see how long they would need to be before interfering with the pan. But as of now, I guess I'm looking for 2 horns
Thank you for that picture, Pete....I think
Old 03-28-2023, 07:00 PM   #17
Blindhuckster

I'm going to have to agree with David G that what you have is a longer horn. My horns measure 9 3/4" total length. My horns look identical to Pete's as you can see. Let me know if you need something else. Nate Anello
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8689.jpg (127.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 03-28-2023, 07:13 PM   #18
petehoovie

Quote:
I'm going to have to agree with David G that what you have is a longer horn. My horns measure 9 3/4" total length. My horns look identical to Pete's as you can see. Let me know if you need something else. Nate Anello

Old 03-28-2023, 07:21 PM   #19
Blindhuckster

Here are a couple pictures of the two horn bracket for the deluxe. There are rubber insulator washers that mount between the two horn mounts brackets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8692.jpg (65.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8691.jpg (34.6 KB, 27 views)
Old 03-28-2023, 07:34 PM   #20
petehoovie

Quote:
Here are a couple pictures of the two horn bracket for the deluxe. There are rubber insulator washers that mount between the two horn mounts brackets.

Old 03-28-2023, 07:52 PM   #21
cjshaker

Quote:

Thank you very much for that, Nate. I guess I'm adding 2 more objects to my 'need' list.