Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-25-2023, 01:34 PM   #1
mgk

Default Are OEM 1933 and 1934 pass car radiators the same?

Hello,

Can someone with the knowledge tell me if OEM 1933 and 1934 pass car radiators are the same? Looking for an original 1933 pass car radiator, any condition. Thanks.

Chris
mgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 02:06 PM   #2
deuce lover

Default Re: Are OEM 1933 and 1934 pass car radiators the same?

Only the brackets for the hood latches are different.They can be switched.Not sure if the top U shaped bracket at the top that the secures the grille shell is identical 33 & 34.The brackets for either year are reproduced.
deuce lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 02:27 PM   #3
DavidG

They are the same less the grille mounting brackets on the sides, as deuce lover indicates.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 02:15 PM   #4
mgk

Thank you gents. I have a 33/34 pass car radiator mounted to original, unaltered riveted mounting tabs in front of the crossmember. Using 1/16 rubber pads for the radiator. I have the grill mounted, the hood mounted and the inner fenders mounted using factory bolt holes. Grill, hood and hood sides are OEM sheet metal, inner fenders are from Steve's restoration parts. When I install the hood sides, I have approx. 1" gap at the front of the hood side and the inner fender. I will take pics and post. It seems the radiator is to tall? The body line seems to rise from the cowl to the grille. Baffled, you guys have any ideas?
mgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 02:55 PM   #5
Karl Wescott

Generally, the way I recommend aligning a 1933 or 1934 is to fit the hood (top and sides) to the body and the grille. Now align the doors! Next the fenders and running boards and gas tank cover. Now consider this a theoretical perfectly aligned unit that can be moved up/down and rotated on pitch, roll, and yaw axis to fit the radiator and frame. Once everything else is perfect, fit the inner fenders!

There have been at least 2 different suppliers of steel repro inner fenders. Current ones by Tom Bay (R&J Enterprises) are supposed to be OK. Previous ones made by Funks (aka Specialized Sheetmetal, sold through some person in Arizona, others) were junk.

Also, iiic, from previous threads there were 5 or 7 variations known of 1933-34 inner fenders.

Are the fenders true Ford, or could they be older (or current) reproductions? The older (Funk, et al) were notorious for poor fit. The current repros (Steves's, United Pacific) appear to often fit well (with modification for fit to grille), but occasional individual fenders have significant issues).

While not directly related to the inner fender, there is a marked difference in the front fender/grille interface between 1933 and 1934 which will cause fitting issues if mismatched.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 03:06 PM   #6
DavidG

The body line of the cowl and hood should fall ever so slightly from the cowl forward. Not that it should make a difference, but do you have a '33 or '34 front cross member? Also, how about a photo of the brackets on the side of your radiator that the grille attaches to? Also, how well does the bottom portion of your grille fit into the front fenders. Really reaching, are both your front fenders and inner fender panels of the several '33 varieties and not the '34 variety? Last, but not least, is the V-shaped inner panel beneath the front of the front fenders beneath the front fenders or above the front fenders and beneath the grille?
Old 03-27-2023, 11:19 PM   #7
Flathead Fever

A few months ago I sold a 1907 Autocar Truck chassis to a guy that is serious Early Ford restorer in the Early Ford V8 Club. He had some '34 Fords and parts. There were some radiators laying there and he said you know the '33 and '34s are different. What he said (if I'm remembering right) is the '33 has an extra bracket on the top tank that supports the hood. He said the '34 hood without this bracket doesn't fit as well. Don't know if that is true or not but he had radiators with and without that piece. Here is a picture of the piece he was talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0752 - Copy.jpg (50.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0751 - Copy.jpg (67.5 KB, 51 views)
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 11:21 PM   #8
Flathead Fever

I posted the radiator pictures and info twice. So to not look like an idiot I deleted the text and photos. Here's are two '34 photos to look at. That was one nice car. Mostly original unrestored interior.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0763 - Copy.jpg (66.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0762 - Copy.jpg (70.6 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 03-27-2023 at 11:29 PM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 07:58 AM   #9
DavidG

Laugh out loud as yes there is that difference between most, but not all, '33 V8 radiators and '34 V8 radiators. But it has nothing whatsoever to do with the fit of the hood. Those upturned ends on the top of the side panels of a late '33-'34 V8 radiator as shown in the second photo of #7 above are there to provide the hood side panel's lower front corners a place to catch when the hood is open. They prevent the hood side from accidently sliding down because of the slope of the top of the radiator tank. I think many of the ever-present dents in '33 head lamp bodies are the result of just such an accident.