Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-28-2023, 04:24 PM   #1
N8IWS

Default 1946 V8 Oil Filter ?

Yep, new old guy with more questions. On our V8, I don't have a oil filter canister on the engine. At shows I see them with one mounted to the engine. Was this a option installed at the dealership, "Joe's" garage down the street, self installed? Where can I get the kit? It has puzzled me since I purchased the car, previous owner was clueless about this. He only dabbled in antique MG's, he helped out a friend by purchasing this car from them, and had no interest. I jumped at the chance.

Looking forward to spring so I can get out and run our cars.
Old 03-28-2023, 05:01 PM   #2
Seth Swoboda

Default Re: 1946 V8 Oil Filter ?

You will need the oil pan with the fitting installed on the side that accepts the return line. You find the filter housings easily as they are plentiful. These are only a partial flow filter set up. I have them on two 59A engines. I'm not sure if I would mess with them again. For as few miles as my engines get, I don't see them doing much good, if any. I'm probably wrong.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 07:34 PM   #3
1942deluxe

On 1946 cars the oil filter was standard. Before the war it was an option either from the factory or dealer installed. If you find a filter try to get the lines with it and as Seth said make sure your oil pan has the provision for the return line. Where the line goes from in the sending unit area and throttle linkage it is very tight. Third Gen auto in TN has the head nuts you'll need. I installed an oil filter on the 59 AB in my 1942 coupe and found it time consuming for questionable benefit but I think it looks neat. My 46 has one but my 48 business coupe does not. I have a NOS oil filter canister for the 48 but am still pondering if it's worth the effort. PM me if you have any questions.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 07:52 PM   #4
Kurt in NJ

the original bypass filter will remove smaller particles than a “full flow” filter.
The aftermarket systems and add on systems many times used a hollow bolt for a return fitting so it was a easy bolt in installation, perhaps if you oil pan doesn’t have the fitting ( mine was part of the dipstick tube boss , many times the gasket there leaks, it is rivited to the pan, requires removing the pan to change the fitting or replace the gasket, a threaded reinforcement is made and welded to the inside of the pan so future work is easily done from outside.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 09:48 PM   #5
cas3

The add on filters sometimes used a hollow bolt with a banjo fitting into the timing cover bolts if you have no fitting on the oil pan for return. Its all 1/4" line, easy to make,and you need to be sure the filter can you buy has the 060 restrictor on the inlet side. They work, I like em.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 08:32 AM   #6
gwistrup

Is the .060" restrictor readily available from the many vendors that sell antique Ford parts? The setup on my car has flexible hoses with pipe thread fittings on the ends. It doesn't look like there is a restrictor in the inlet hose. The filter on my car is plumbed with the inlet going in the side of the housing and the outlet coming out the bottom. Is this correct? I need to replace the lines and I planned on doing it with steel line.
gwistrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 10:39 AM   #7
cas3

It is a Weatherhead (spelling?) fitting, your parts store can get it if they have a guy willing to look. The number has been here, maybe a member has it
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 12:38 PM   #8
Fritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
You will need the oil pan with the fitting installed on the side that accepts the return line. You find the filter housings easily as they are plentiful. These are only a partial flow filter set up. I have them on two 59A engines. I'm not sure if I would mess with them again. For as few miles as my engines get, I don't see them doing much good, if any. I'm probably wrong.
This may spark a heated debate, but I agree. I don’t think they are worth the hassle. I rebuilt my 59a and deleted the filter it had. Just change the oil in frequent intervals.
Cars and metal rust away and are destroyed, but the Word of God will stand forever (Isaiah 40:8, Matthew 24:35).
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote