Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-09-2017, 03:31 PM   #1
JD 1931

Default Summer Heat

I live on west coast Fla. and in Summer the heat inside the Model is unbearable, so I installed a sound/heat foil faced insulated mat under the carpet and up fire wall some. It cut down on heat and is better. I thought about a muffler shield that Mike's sell but I am concerned that the heat would still radiate up to floorboard. Anyone have success with them...Thanks JD (waiting for the BIG storm)...
JD 1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:42 PM   #2
Vic in E-TN

Default Re: Summer Heat

JD:
I have had significantly good performance using the heat shield from Leslie Pam out of California. Cost is about $100. He has advertised in the club magazines before and may be on the "sticky" list at the top of this page.

Vic
Vic in E-TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:52 AM   #3
steve s

I too have Pam's Kool-feet shield, and it seems to help, although our needs in Michigan are nothing like yours.

Don't waste your money on the cheapo model.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 03:58 PM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

Summer Heat & Winter In Cab Heat

FWIW, From Experience:

1. Solid, 100% Aluminum Foil tightly sandwiched between two (2) layers of plywood, carpet, steel, cardboard, dense sound materials, or any other solid, opaque material cannot reflect heat and cannot prevent emitting heat without an adjacent air space.

2. A three-quarter inch (3/4") minimum air space immediately adjacent to this aluminum radiant barrier is required for reflecting 96% of the radiant heat or preventing emitting of 96% of this heat. (Can be researched under "Radiant Barriers" ..... this is vintage 1920's technology ...... but aluminum foil was expensive back then.)

3. Aluminum duct tape, securely fastened and taped to the under side of Model A floor boards can reflect about 96% of the heat from a muffler ....... and this same aluminum duct tape taped to the under side of Model A floor boards can also prevent a minimum of 96% of heat emitting from inside the cab in winter.

4. If the undersides of floor boards are thoroughly cleaned and freshly painted, Home Depot Aluminum Duct Tape, (found in A/C Department), securely adhered to this smooth, sanded, and painted wood surface should last for years ..... my duct tape looks like it was applied yesterday ..... but it has already been on the underside of my Model A floor boards for 10 years.

5. Added thermal protection can be provided with an inexpensive thin layer of commercial carpet padding provided and fitted under the floor mat to further prevent muffler heat ...... and further prevent losing inside heat in winter ........ and ..... this carpet padding also provides noticeable engine and roadway sound attenuation for a quieter enjoyable ride.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote