Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-11-2016, 08:56 AM   #21
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Default Re: Intermittent Overheating at Highway Speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFRhugh View Post
I installed a 160 deg thermostat and temperature gauge yesterday (from Snyder's). Fired her up and no leaks after idling for about 15 minutes so went for a test ride. It's 94 deg today. The APCO gauge was at 180 when I started down the street. I went about 15 miles round trip with a few stretches to 55 mph(Mitchell OD). Mostly 45 to 50 though. The gauge climbed to 190 and stayed there. I didn't lose any water. Question is, does this seem reasonable? I have searched but not found what normal should be. Does 190 under load sounds reasonable?
Hugh
With a new bergs radiator, a clean engine block, 2 blade fan and a 160 stat my car runs in the 170's on a 90 deg ambient day
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:05 AM   #22
Hook

I purchased the same gauge and just installed it. Mine also reads nearly 190 degrees. I have a Motometer, and checked my new radiator with one of those IR heat sensing guns. The top tank was about 165 with the Motormeter showing about 1/4 inch of red. My new gauge is reading about 190 with the same level on the Motormeter. I suspect the gauge is reading high, but haven't checked it again.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:34 AM   #23
VFRhugh

Ken, I was expecting to see the APCO in the middle of the green. It never smells hot or loses any water. Will check with my Thermapen before starting in on the radiator. I need to make sure things are good before installing a counterbalanced engine I'm working on.
Thanks for the reply,
Hugh
VFRhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:32 AM   #24
VFRhugh

Well it not the APCO. On to the radiator!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (38.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 08-31-2016, 10:47 AM   #25
VFRhugh

Follow up:
Pulled the radiator and took it to the only radiator shop in town. The owner (Randy) told me when I called he doubted it would need rodding out because the tubes are big in a model A. This shop has been in business a long time. Randy has a rig to really put some flow through. After a couple of back flush cycles it was flowing great. It was just rust flakes laying on the top of the tubes. I also took a radiator that was on a chassis I bought. This rad is considerably heavier with larger tubes. Randy said it looks like an original to him. It also flowed great. The whole thing probably took 30 minutes. Randy wouldn't take any money.
This morning I compared the two radiators by running them back to back. The lighter radiator has more smaller tubes & held 165 deg. The heavy radiator ran a little hotter on my APCO gauge maybe 170. My test route included about 5 miles at 55 in overdrive. This is a totally stock engine. My project engine has a 6 to 1 head and IB330 cam. Logic says it will generate more heat so I'm thinking of staying with the lighted radiator. Photo is what I'm calling 170.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (45.3 KB, 22 views)
Old 08-31-2016, 06:15 PM   #26
Synchro909

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I've also had a the temperature in one of my cars fluctuate wildly like the OP describes. I've even cracked a block because one of those "leakless" water pumps wasn't. Once the water level falls, a Motometer is nothing more than an ornament. Pretty much the same for an APCO type gauge. I like these with an audible alarm set at about 190-195F:

http://www.thermomart.com/engine-wat...n-Alarm-Sensor

I know the digital display doesn't look right in a Model A so I intend hiding it, leaving the Apco visible BUT the audible warning will still be activated if the temp reaches 190 deg. These gauges don't rely on the water to give an accurate reading. I'm sure if I had one of these when I cracked the block on that engine, I would have saved myself $$$$$$$$$$$
Old 08-31-2016, 06:40 PM   #27
Rainmaker Ron

I think you will find reply #13 by JacksonIII is on the right track! The head gasket is allowing hot gasses to bypass the gasket and heat the water. It only happens when you ask the engine to work a little harder than normal. Harder like go a little faster. You can buy a kit to test for combustion gases in the coolant or just have a friend watch in the radiator while you put a strain on the engine. Rainmaker Ron
Rainmaker Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:28 PM   #28
1crosscut

Ian... Curious if you have made any progress on finding out what is going on?
Old 09-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #29
Ian Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
Ian... Curious if you have made any progress on finding out what is going on?
No, I haven't had much time for Model As recently. I hope to drive over the mountains to the other side of Washington later in September, so I'll have a chance to check the temp while running then.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:29 PM   #30
Manager

I had a similar thing with my car. The GAV would slowly close itself on a long drive.
Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:42 PM   #31
Chuck Sea/Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFRhugh View Post
Follow up:
Pulled the radiator and took it to the only radiator shop in town. The owner (Randy) told me when I called he doubted it would need rodding out because the tubes are big in a model A. This shop has been in business a long time. Randy has a rig to really put some flow through. After a couple of back flush cycles it was flowing great. It was just rust flakes laying on the top of the tubes. I also took a radiator that was on a chassis I bought. This rad is considerably heavier with larger tubes. Randy said it looks like an original to him. It also flowed great. The whole thing probably took 30 minutes. Randy wouldn't take any money.
This morning I compared the two radiators by running them back to back. The lighter radiator has more smaller tubes & held 165 deg. The heavy radiator ran a little hotter on my APCO gauge maybe 170. My test route included about 5 miles at 55 in overdrive. This is a totally stock engine. My project engine has a 6 to 1 head and IB330 cam. Logic says it will generate more heat so I'm thinking of staying with the lighted radiator. Photo is what I'm calling 170.
I think the higher compression head will be more efficient, so more energy is convered to power, and less to heat. It should run cooler. Assuming no thermostat.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:50 PM   #32
GJRoberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker Ron View Post
I think you will find reply #13 by JacksonIII is on the right track! The head gasket is allowing hot gasses to bypass the gasket and heat the water. It only happens when you ask the engine to work a little harder than normal. Harder like go a little faster. You can buy a kit to test for combustion gases in the coolant or just have a friend watch in the radiator while you put a strain on the engine. Rainmaker Ron

Where are these kits available, and what are they called?
GJRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:38 PM   #33
Synchro909

OK, I'm going to hi jack this thread at least for a moment. I ruined an engine recently when the temp went through the roof within a few hundred metres. The problem with an ordinary gauge is that it doesn't let you know what is going on unless you happen to look at it at just the right time. I figure an audible alarm is what I need.
Because I don't like the look of these in a Model A, I intend hiding it but the buzzer will still be a savoir. Has anybody any experience with these?
http://www.thermomart.com/engine-wat...n-Alarm-Sensor

I can't get a reply to an enquiry through their web site and I can't ring them - maybe something to do with being in another country from them. They are in Canada
In the case of my ruined engine, a so called leakless water pump decided it was not going to stay leakless. As a result, on a medium length trip, the coolant level dropped till the water pump impeller was just dipping the coolant and spraying the sensor in the water neck so the gauge got a reading but there was not enough to circulate through the radiator and the rest is history (like the motor). The devices in the link above don't rely on the coolant for a reading and respond very quickly to a change. The owner can set a temperature at which the buzzer will sound a warning so overheating will not be an issue.
If there is a barner out there who is prepared to help me in this, I would very much appreciate it.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:45 AM   #34
Dollar Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJRoberts View Post
Where are these kits available, and what are they called?
They are called Combustion Leak Detectors.

Most auto parts stores that loan/rent tools have them if you choose not to purchase your own.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:57 AM   #35
Dollar Bill

Synchro, not sure if this would interest you but there is a less expensive version on EBay