Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-23-2016, 10:35 PM   #1
Ian Curtis

Default Sauk Mountain

We got up early this morning to take a hike up Sauk Mountain, about 2 hrs outside of Seattle. This hike is known for its views, unfortunately the weather wasn't real cooperative. However, getting to the trailhead requires going up a 7 mile dirt road full of switchbacks, potholes, and ruts with about a 10% average grade. We were the first people at the trailhead this morning, but by the time we came down a few hours later the place had seriously filled up. I was almost surprised some of them made it, the excessive ground clearance of the A came in handy a few times on the way up.

On the way down we stopped and talk to a guy on his way up in a modern truck. He said he thought it was amazing the A could get up the hill -- I told him the down part is really much more entertaining. I basically just put it in first and tapped the brakes as required on the way down. You could see in the skid marks on the gravel that some of the other drivers did not understand how braking on dirt is not the same as braking on pavement.

Plus 80 miles out and 80 miles back for a total of 160 or so on the day from Snohomish to Rockport. I didn't take any pictures of that though. Fun but tiring day!

One of these things is not like the other...

What it looked like in the morning when we headed up the trail.

Shot in the afternoon next to the trail head sign as proof!

This shows the grade. Purple is 8% or steeper, and the deeper the purple the steeper the segment.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:04 AM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Sauk Mountain

Where is your front license plate? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:31 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Nice looking pickup. Now, how could anyone not like the factory colors for a pickup?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:25 PM   #4
Great Lakes Greg

That is impressive as hell! People seriously underestimate the stump pulling torque of that fabulous flat four. We took our coupe up a similar grade in Upper Michigan. I had concerns about the gravity feed fuel not getting to where it needed to be a couple of times, but we made it. Traction on the gravel was more of an issue than power on our climb.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:14 AM   #5
Ian Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Lakes Greg View Post
People seriously underestimate the stump pulling torque of that fabulous flat four. We took our coupe up a similar grade in Upper Michigan. I had concerns about the gravity feed fuel not getting to where it needed to be a couple of times, but we made it. Traction on the gravel was more of an issue than power on our climb.
Yeah, in 1st gear I don't think there is a hill you can't climb. We never broke free on the way up. The traction going down is much more of an issue going down, thank goodness for engine braking in 1st gear. Without that we would've been waiting hours for the brakes to cool.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:16 PM   #6
gweilbaker

Ian,
And with 1965 Ward's Riversides?
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:59 PM   #7
Brentwood Bob

Truck probably ran better after the round trip.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:36 PM   #8
ronn

I had concerns about the gravity feed fuel not getting to where it needed to be a couple of times, but we made it.

there always is reverse...................!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:45 PM   #9
glenn in camino

I climbed a hill like that in the mountains around Orange County, Ca. It was late in the day, and I was alone, hopping it wouldn't get dark. Finally I found civilization in Corona and headed toward home. It was a thrill, but I don't think I'd do it again.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote