Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-02-2016, 06:27 PM   #1
Ian Curtis

Default Chuckanut Drive Trip Log

Last weekend, my wife & I took a trip up to the Oyster bar, a nice restaurant about 60 miles away with great seafood and a gorgeous view to celebrate our anniversary. We had a reservation for noon, and google said it was about an hour and a half by back roads. Just in case, we left at about 9:45 AM leaving a sufficient margin for slow driving, traffic, break downs, what have you.

Heading north from Snohomish on SR 9 was typical. This stretch of road is pretty heavily travelled, reasonably hilly, and full of stop lights where the speed limit is 55 MPH. Modern stop lights are not timed with Model As in mind, but after a full brake job this past winter I am much more comfortable along this stretch than I used to be. Only one light where a car in front of me slammed on the brakes required a full brake application from me, I tend to leave plenty of room just-in-case. North of Arlington, traffic mostly disappears, the terrain flattens out, and we had the road to ourselves. This stretch is popular with motorcycles and bicycles, and it is nice to pass a bicycle once in a while.

Just after Sedro-Woolley, we stopped for gas where they had a nice mural including a Model A. At the gas station we checked our watches & realized we had made great time. This left us with about 45 minutes to kill, so we thought we might stop at the small town of Edison en-route to the restaurant.

Unfortunately, shortly after we turned onto the Chuckanut drive (SR 11) there was a scary sound for about 5 seconds, followed by silence. We pulled off into a farmers driveway, and I opened the hood to discover that the fan belt had disintegrated.

After a quick call to another club member for advice, we looked on our phones and discovered there was an O'Reilly's about 15 minutes south of us in Burlington. Zooming down SR 11 at 50 MPH, the Moto-Meter indicated a comfortably cool radiator. Unfortunately, once we hit downtown Burlington there seemed to be stoplight every intersection, and drivers pulling out in front of us every 5 feet to force us to go as slowly as possible. We made it to the O'Reilly's indicated on Apple Maps only to discover that it had closed permanently! Meanwhile, the Moto-Meter was pegged, and the steam was pretty apparent. So, we sat in the parking lot for 20 minutes or so for a cool down followed by some replacement water. We checked Google Maps, and found an open NAPA another ½ mile down the road.

Picture after cooling down a bit.

At the NAPA, we called the restaurant to let them know that we had car trouble would be late, and purchased a new belt. Unfortunately, in the process of installing the belt I broke a few wires, so we also needed to buy a crimping kit & replace those connections. I took off my dress shirt, but was totally covered in oil from my elbows down.

After the repairs, the electrical system still worked & the new belt stayed on. We zoomed back up SR 11, arriving at the Restaurant around 1. When we walked in, the hostess was looking down at her book & asked how our car troubles had turned out. I said, “car is fine... but I look like I got inked by a squid, where is your restroom?”. The service & meal was excellent, for any curious Washingtonians.

View from the restaurant porch

On the way back, we drove along the coast, stopping at Bay View State Park which had some gorgeous views. The trip back was otherwise uneventful, but it ended up being quite a long day with the drive, lunch, and break down.

Bay View State Park

Special thanks to my wife for taking the “A”dventure in stride!!

Spada Lake Trip Log (2016)
Mountain Loop Highway Trip Log (2015)
Ian Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:31 PM   #2
kwisor

Default Re: Chuckanut Drive Trip Log

sorry you had trouble but ended up a nice day after all
kevin
kwisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:39 PM   #3
Art Newland

I was just up through Chuckanut myself, a beautiful drive on a nice day. My buddy was taking his Hudson convertible out for a spin and wanted to know if I wanted to go for a ride. Heck yea! Sorry you had trouble... remindes me I need to get a spare fan belt and throw it under the seat!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hudson.jpg (82.9 KB, 18 views)
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:41 PM   #4
Dick Steinkamp

Excellent trip report, Ian!

I'm a member of Moon On A's in Bellingham. You did great solving and rectifying your problem.

If anyone gets in a similar situation in this neck of the woods, call or text me... 360.224.1428 I'm happy to help.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:46 PM   #5
Art Newland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
Excellent trip report, Ian!

I'm a member of Moon On A's in Bellingham. You did great solving and rectifying your problem.

If anyone gets in a similar situation in this neck of the woods, call or text me... 360.224.1428 I'm happy to help.
We better keep each others number handy
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:24 PM   #6
rnchal

Hey, that's a great story. Great effort to save the anniversary date. Lots of familiar country. My son has a 29 pickup and also lives in Snohomish just off highway 9. But it's at my house now getting a new interior.
rnchal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:33 PM   #7
Ted Duke

Happy Anniversary! Congrats on a great wife who didn't leave you on the way!

Ted
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:36 PM   #8
Flathead

Good to hear that the restaurant was able to adjust things so you could still have a nice meal.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:26 AM   #9
Doug Linden

Awesome road for a Model A, great scenery. Glad everything turned out well for the trip.
Doug Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #10
Ian Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland View Post
I was just up through Chuckanut myself, a beautiful drive on a nice day. My buddy was taking his Hudson convertible out for a spin and wanted to know if I wanted to go for a ride. Heck yea! Sorry you had trouble... remindes me I need to get a spare fan belt and throw it under the seat!
Nice! We passed a very shiny Dodge Power Wagon of a similar color driving the opposite direction.

Yes, I've decided I need to do a better job of stocking up with spares. Once I had a break-down at a Club breakfast, and it seemed like everyone else had a spare & tools for just above everything except the block. Meanwhile, I only carried a jack, water, two crescent wrenches, a fire extinguisher, and a flathead screwdriver.
Ian Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote