Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-13-2015, 03:22 PM   #21
2935ford

Default Re: Problems: Importing Model A to USA

I'd say sell your car there......buy one here then re sell it here.

Could be a lot of red tape you do not want to get into..........
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:34 PM   #22
flatheadman

The Lincoln Highway is US 50 and does not hit I80 until Reno. US40(Victory Hiway) follows I80 across Nevada at least.
flatheadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:31 PM   #23
diomed

Maybe find a classic car shop at your final destination and see if they'll buy it or if they'll help.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2015, 05:18 PM   #24
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2935ford View Post
I'd say sell your car there......buy one here then re sell it here.

Could be a lot of red tape you do not want to get into..........
I could not agree more ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:48 PM   #25
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
It really depends on where your car was built. If it was made in the USA there are no import duties on it. If made elsewhere if you bring it here and sell it you must pay duty.
Sorry guys but the US has a reputation for not being a very fair country to deal with on the international scene. That's why the Pacific Free Trade Deal fell over. Some of you might find that confronting but........ Charging duties on imports like this one is seen as a form of protectionism and is not received well in other countries. What do they think they are protecting by charging a tax on a car this old???? I'm sure the response here on FB would be very different if this were about an American wanting but not allowed to do the same thing in a different country. It might be worth remembering that with about 5% of the world's population, Americans are "Foreigners" to 95% of people.
I realise that most of the posts here are by people trying to be helpful, and good on then for that. The problem seems to be with the people they elect. That, unfortunately, is the same everywhere.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:58 PM   #26
Synchro909

I have imported 2 cars from the US without any problems or duties from our authorities. What is wrong with things in the US that it can't be done there?? Maybe the fact that the owner is not a US citizen might explain it. Could the owner be "sponsored" by a US citizen by having the car transferred to his name before importing it for the OP?
I realise that all of the people who have posted here are trying to be helpful and good on them for that. Maybe the problem is with the people they have elected.
At a recent international Model A rally in New Zealand, there were about 15 cars attended from the US, then shipped back afterwards. Would shipping the car back to Europe where it could be sold at a higher price be viable?
Old 08-13-2015, 06:06 PM   #27
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
Coming all the way to America, to drive a Model A coast to coast, and you're NOT going to drive the "Mother road" (Route 66)
Why bother?
Not that it really matters, but I believe the Lincoln Highway was in existence before Rte. 66 (could be wrong, though!).
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:37 PM   #28
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

In 2013 you said you wanted to drive an old, Rusty, banged up Model A across America ! Is this the car you are looking at bringing with you and if so why not just buy a car of that description in the United States! What will it cost to ship it and when will this trip or adventure happen ? Wayne
Old 08-13-2015, 07:14 PM   #29
SeaSlugs

Heh read a bit about the Lincoln Highway:

Within a month, Fisher's auto industry friends had pledged $1 million. Henry Ford, the biggest automaker of his day, was a notable exception. He refused to contribute in spite of a personal plea by Fisher over a pigpen at the State Fair in Detroit. Ford believed the government, not private individuals or companies, should build the Nation's roads.

Lincoln Highway came first, heres an interesting website comparing the 2:

http://lincolnhighway.jameslin.name/...s/compare.html
Old 08-14-2015, 07:00 AM   #30
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Sorry guys but the US has a reputation for not being a very fair country to deal with on the international scene. That's why the Pacific Free Trade Deal fell over. Some of you might find that confronting but........ Charging duties on imports like this one is seen as a form of protectionism and is not received well in other countries. What do they think they are protecting by charging a tax on a car this old???? I'm sure the response here on FB would be very different if this were about an American wanting but not allowed to do the same thing in a different country. It might be worth remembering that with about 5% of the world's population, Americans are "Foreigners" to 95% of people.
I realise that most of the posts here are by people trying to be helpful, and good on then for that. The problem seems to be with the people they elect. That, unfortunately, is the same everywhere.
Alas, I suspect there is far more truth than poetry to what you write.

conversely, I have tried to give, absolutely free, minor used Model A parts to a friend in Germany and German customs fought us every inch of the way, apparently not believing that an American would give an old greasy part to a German. My friend ended up declaring a value and paying a tariff though it was not a sales transaction.

I've since asked other Germans about it and the story I get is that EU customs practices are not warm and welcoming either.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:30 AM   #31
leakers

Use a carnet, easy to get if you are filming. i.e making a documentary.
http://www.atacarnet.com/what-carnet
Once you arrive get it registered in one of those " no history required for old cars " states.
or advertise it for sale to anywhere except the USA.... Sell it to someone in Canada...you only have to pay your duty at the border and it becomes a Canadian car....or sell it to an Aussie or Kiwi, for export from the USA...you can still use your Euro papers to export it and the buyer can use them to register in their home country..
THINK outside the box.
leakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:59 AM   #32
C26Pinelake
BANNED

[QUOTE=leakers;1138786]Use a carnet, easy to get if you are filming. i.e making a documentary.
http://www.atacarnet.com/what-carnet
Once you arrive get it registered in one of those " no history required for old cars " states.
or advertise it for sale to anywhere except the USA.... Sell it to someone in Canada...you only have to pay your duty at the border and it becomes a Canadian car....or sell it to an Aussie or Kiwi, for export from the USA...you can still use your Euro papers to export it and the buyer can use them to register in their home country..
THINK outside the box

Please note ! Under the Carnet rules you can only import cars if they are Prototypes or Race cars. Thinking outside the box is fine but if you play games with USCBP they will refuse entry to the vehicle when if arrives and then where will you be! Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 08-14-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:14 AM   #33
Terry, NJ

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but The Old Lincoln Highway (OLH) Becomes Rt 27 in NJ, that parallels Rt 1 and eventually becomes Calhoun St in Trenton. It crosses the Delaware on the Calhoun St Bridge and becomes Bridge st. in Morrisville, Pennsylvania where it eventually hooks up with Rt1. The problems come in due to the fact that it is only marked infrequently with historical markers, not street signs. You have to know the modern name on the road and where it starts and stops being that road. I recall seeing photographs of it where in places it was running behind buildings and no longer passable.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
Heh read a bit about the Lincoln Highway:

Within a month, Fisher's auto industry friends had pledged $1 million. Henry Ford, the biggest automaker of his day, was a notable exception. He refused to contribute in spite of a personal plea by Fisher over a pigpen at the State Fair in Detroit. Ford believed the government, not private individuals or companies, should build the Nation's roads.

Lincoln Highway came first, heres an interesting website comparing the 2:

http://lincolnhighway.jameslin.name/...s/compare.html
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote