Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-26-2021, 11:53 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Speedometer gurus?

Some of you know I am converting my '79 toyota 4wd landcruiser station wagon into an open cab 'ford looking' pickup. I am now making an instrument panel with mostly mechanical gauges and it has a strange offset because the current steering gear isn't centered on the ford instrument panel. Here's my question, since I have acquired the needed gauges in SW, black faced, I had yet to fine a needed round spedometer, smallish prefered. For whatever reason, my toyota speedo cable threaded smoothly and perfectly into a '47 ford pickup speedo. I decided they were universal like some metric thing like spark plugs. Well I just now went back to the ebay posting and see that my new prize has male threads on the back of the meter. Is there a way to make this work? Is the square end at the dash always the same size? The SW speedo has a case that is 3 3/8" dia allowing for my row of gauges below. Adapter? Maybe an adapter cable or cable end. Did I make a bonehead move? Thanks in advance.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:59 AM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: Speedometer gurus?

Although the fittings may be compatible, have you determined if the rotation is correct ( CCW vs. CW )
Old 05-27-2021, 09:06 AM   #3
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Although the fittings may be compatible, have you determined if the rotation is correct ( CCW vs. CW )
Both the toyota and ford speedos are CCW, so once again I 'assumed' they were All like that. There was a speedo on ebay that had a ccw rotating needle on the face. It was from a Zundap motorbike. I suppose I am just guessing at this point. Napa sells a six foot cable with female ends in two thread sizes for 9.95. Could be what I need. Thanks
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 05-27-2021, 10:19 AM   #4
deuce_roadster

Gary, call Tacoma Speedometer (253) 582-3890, they probably know what you need and can make any kind of cable or tell you what would work.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:24 AM   #5
51504bat

Contact Rusty at at Speedometer Service in Colorado. He is on the HAMB (and maybe here on the Barn as well) He fixed me up with a NOS speedo for my '54 Ranch Wagon. I highly recommend him. Worth a phone call IMO
https://www.speedoservice.com/
(719) 632-3165
Old 05-27-2021, 11:38 AM   #6
GB SISSON

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Well my friends, I will take you up on this. I called SW and talked to an engineer who said I need a 5/8-18 thread and confirmed CCW while looking at the back. I'll make some calls at lunch, rushing a huge order of vintage looking, rustic store fixtures for a new outdoor clothing store in Eastsound. Set to open On Saturdary. Yikes! .

Last edited by GB SISSON; 05-27-2021 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:03 PM   #7
slowforty

I used a wireless digital speedometer on ebay for around ten bucks
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 11:27 PM   #8
GB SISSON

I think that kind of technology is amazing, but what do I put in the hole in the center of my collection of vintage stewart warner gauges? My son put the speedometer app on my iphone. 66 mph on the interstate in my stock '47 ford 1/2 ton., well stock before the wood wagon body, and a 221 cu in replacement block. So, yes it is amazing that I can know that it really goes that fast, but really we love our old stuff because of the look and the nostalgia etc. My mom's 92 dodge minivan would do 90, but I hated driving it when I'd fly out to visit her.... Gonna go with the SW speedo when I work out a cable. I get it though.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:46 PM   #9
tomcarman

[QUOTE=GB SISSON;2020915My son put the speedometer app on my iphone. 66 mph on the interstate in my stock '47 ford 1/2 ton.[/QUOTE]

I hope the app isn't tracking your every move and stop so they can send you ads. Being a techno idiot my wife got me this new cell phone in March, all hooked up and good to go with Google. Next thing I know I'm getting emails from Google telling me where I went last month, each and every stop. As if I didn't know where I've been. I'd rather jump in the '32 and go for a jaunt and leave the phone at home.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 12:30 AM   #10
tubman

This is exactly why I still have a "flip-fone".
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 12:31 AM   #11
cas3

Lets see a picture of you're " rustic store fixtures" , love to see you're fine wood work GB
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 01:28 AM   #12
leon bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
This is exactly why I still have a "flip-fone".

Same here. I expect it to be obsolete and non usable one of these days.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:36 AM   #13
cas3

Flip phone here too, but they are tracking everything now
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:20 PM   #14
sidevalve8ba

I still use a flip-phone also. Some of my friends wonder why but I am not a "phone zombie". I don't carry my phone with me all the time. If I need information I have a computer at home. I don't need to carry one with me 24 hours a day!
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 03:18 PM   #15
slowforty

I prefer the Flip-You-Off Model
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:58 PM   #16
GB SISSON

Mine 'phone' sits on my charger in the kitchen. I don't get service in my shop, which is where I am if I'm awake and it doesn't get service on the 20 minute trip to town, where I might go 3 times a week. I take it with me when I go to the mainland, which has been four times in the 1 1/2 years since the virus from overseas started. I still have a business and all the contractors are way younger than me, so I s'pose I need to stay connected. I guess it was fun to see that a stock jailbar half ton will do 66 mph on the interstate, but did I mention I was in the breakdown lane shortly thereafter with green antifreeze on my windshield and no wipers because I don't drive my woodie in the rain? I love my collection of old fords and am a very fortunate man to live the past 42 years in a 75 sq mile environment where there are only a few straightaways where 40 mph is allowed and there is not a single stop light anywhere? Maybe all those years of watching the Waltons is what drove me to buy property here in '78......