Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
miken7132

Default exhaust manifold gasket

I'm going to install an exhaust manifold using a copper clad gasket. Should I also use gasket sealer?
miken7132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
AL in NY

Default Re: exhaust manifold gasket

Don't use any sealer. Be sure that both the block and manifold surfaces are clean and dry. I would also check to see that after bolting the intake and exhaust manifolds together, that the two surfaces are nearly planar with each other. Also check the outside mounting "ears". They should be close to the same height on each side of the studs. If everything checks out you should have no manifold leaks. Also, be sure to use the rings in the exhaust ports to prevent the exhaust manifold from sagging. Good luck.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
Tacoma Bob

Default Re: exhaust manifold gasket

MMMM well if you machined the intake and exhaust manifolds and the surface of the block is dead on I'd go without sealer. The war will rage on those that insist using the gland rings and those" that frankly my dear..........don't give a d@am"
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
Marco Tahtaras

Default Re: exhaust manifold gasket - Gland Rings

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I don't know if things have changed but years ago a friend used repro gland rings and the heat just curled them up and some ended up as rattles down in the muffler. I'm fortunate enough to be running original Ford NOS manifolds, gaskets, and gland rings so this arrangement will likely long outlive me.

The "restorer" must be smart enough to check the fit before assembling. 99% (or more) of original exhaust manifolds are warped in such a way that only 2-3 of the ports will still align with the block which makes glands unusable in the other ports. Additionally, When manifolds have been surfaced the counterbores for the gland rings are often too shallow to allow the manifold to seat against the gasket. The result at best is a lack of seal, and at worst is a broken ear or two on the manifold.

Take the time to be thorough and apply a little common sense and all will be fine. And no, don't use a sealant on the manifolds.