Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2017, 10:30 AM   #1
DelSolid

Default 1930 Roadster Seat frame

I am rebuilding a basket case 1930 roadster and am now getting to the seat. I have the proper interior wood kit, package tray and seat base already.

I am having a hell of a time finding pictures of a roadster seat. specifically of the bottom of the cushion. Does it have a wooden frame or does the upholstery just hog ring top the spring and that sits on the riser? It seems like all the model A's except the roadster have wooden seat frames. is this right???

Can someone be so good as to snap some pictures of their original style roadster seat cushion top and bottom? same with the rear backrest.

I have googled everything I can think of and cant find any good pics showing the actual seat cushion detail and also stating exactly what the seat is in the photo.

help!
DelSolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:53 AM   #2
Randy in ca

Default Re: 1930 Roadster Seat frame

Surprised this didn't get any replies - I'll bump it up again and if there aren't any other replies I think that I either have or can find some pictures to post. The seat bottom does not have any wood attached to the spring assembly - there is only one support board that runs across the middle of the metal riser. The board mounts on angle brackets attached to either side of the metal riser. The seat bottom is held in place only by the lip of the metal riser. A wood framework does get attached to the seatback springs - a picture is the best way to describe it. I'll look for some pictures if nothing gets posted sooner. Good luck.
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:20 AM   #3
lindy williams

Randy has it right. In addition, the cording at the lower edge if the seat covering was not hog ringed around the bottom of the spring. The seat cover was crimped into a channel made on to the bottom of the spring. This is a little hard to do since you need to compress the seat spring to get enough slack in order to get the seat cover cording into the channel and crimp the channel closed. Many people just hog ring it.
lindy williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:38 PM   #4
pcpat

Same as DeSolid, I am also looking to restore a basket case, mine is a 29 Roadster Pickup. I am also having a hard time seeing how the seat springs/seat looks when together. My bottom springs are a complete loss; however, the back rest looks somewhat rusted out, but salvageable with a little work. I've been looking online but find nothing I can compare to. Any pictures would be great. Thank you,
pcpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:22 AM   #5
Randy in ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpat View Post
Same as DeSolid, I am also looking to restore a basket case, mine is a 29 Roadster Pickup. I am also having a hard time seeing how the seat springs/seat looks when together. My bottom springs are a complete loss; however, the back rest looks somewhat rusted out, but salvageable with a little work. I've been looking online but find nothing I can compare to. Any pictures would be great. Thank you,

Best to start a new thread, with a title reflecting what you're after and hopefully some Roadster Pickup people will step forward with some info.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:36 AM   #6
Randy in ca

DelSolid - here's some pictures of wood and seat cushions - mostly courtesy of Marco Tahtarus. Good luck.

-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1930-31 Ford Roadster INTERIOR WOOD.JPG (19.7 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg 40-B SEAT BACK #1.jpg (61.7 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg 40-B SEAT BACK #2.jpg (81.8 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg 40-b Seatback wood #1.jpg (96.3 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg 40-b Seatback wood #2.jpg (76.0 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg 40-B Behind seat finishing.jpg (51.6 KB, 193 views)
Old 02-28-2017, 02:07 AM   #7
DelSolid

Thanks everyone for the info. "Rebuilding" something from thin air is harder that I thought it was going to be!
DelSolid is offline   Reply With Quote