Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2016, 09:06 AM   #1
Steve_Mack_CT

Default Aries muffler question

Installing a new muffler, regular steel not stainless today. Decent exhaust manifold from what I can tell so far. Aries recommended their clamp and some sealer which I have. But I also have the little copper gasket. They don't recommend but what experience anyone else has had here would be helpful. I generally follow the manufacturer directions but I also wouldn't mind any experience based feedback. Got the sleeve also but not planning to use that as of now.

Thanks, steve
Old 06-25-2016, 09:34 AM   #2
P.S.

Default Re: Aries muffler question

Do what Aries says. Their flange works very well all on its own.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:43 AM   #3
Steve_Mack_CT

Thanks, P.S., will do, this manifold looks to be straight not warped, a plus...
Old 06-25-2016, 09:53 AM   #4
Marshall V. Daut

Someday I would like to receive an Aires muffler without at least one dent in it = 7 in a row in the last three years. The box is always undamaged, so I have to believe the mufflers were packed from the manufacturer with the dents already in place. Only the stainless steel muffler I ordered earlier this year was undamaged. I installed a regular Aires muffler yesterday that was ordered on Monday. One dent. SURPRISE!!!
Not to sound complaining, but we also had to place a drive shaft inside the pipe portion that mates to the exhaust manifold and bend this portion forward. The angle was wrong and wouldn't seat properly against the exhaust manifold flange, no matter what angle we titled the muffler. Bending that portion of the pipe forward brought the alignment into place. The car's frame is not sagging, the rear motor mounts are original style with good rubber, and the hand crank fits into the pulley ratchet nut. The exhaust manifold is brand new. So, everything in in alignment - except the Aires pipe.
Don't get me wrong: The Aires muffler is a good product and I'm glad they are being made to replace those worthless cheap-^ssed Midas garbage mufflers that we have been obliged to buy until the late 1990's. But I would like to see a little better quality control from the manufacturer. Perhaps occasional spot checks after packing to find out who is putting dents in the muffler portion? This many dents over the years is not co-incidental. Someone at Aires doesn't like his job so he takes it out on the mufflers. Or at least, the ones I have bought. Anyone else receiving dented Aires mufflers? Or am I being targeted?
O.K. Enough grousing. I like the muffler. I just question the quality control in the last couple years.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:09 AM   #5
bunnyc

I bought and installed an Aries black muffler about a month ago. Received with no dents. The angle was wrong and it didn't seat well on my new exhaust manifold; had to modify the bend. The black paint burned off in 10 minutes - from the clamp back to the muffler.
I installed per their instructions; new clamp with sealer, without copper gasket.
bunnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:09 AM   #6
Marshall V. Daut

"Yes, obviously "
I knew it! I just KNOW "they" are out to get me!!! Paranoid??? Me??? I'm not paranoid! Why is everyone against me? Ha, ha, ha!
Marshall
Old 06-25-2016, 10:20 AM   #7
DougVieyra

A dent is of no great concern - but "the angle is wrong" is of great concern. And it sounds like this is not a 'one off' experience. So, ignoring 'dents', how many Aries users have experienced difficulty in properly mounting the muffler flange to the exhaust manifold ? Has anyone approached Aries with this issue?
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:22 AM   #8
Rancho Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
A dent is of no great concern - but "the angle is wrong" is of great concern. And it sounds like this is not a 'one off' experience. So, ignoring 'dents', how many Aries users have experienced difficulty in properly mounting the muffler flange to the exhaust manifold ? Has anyone approached Aries with this issue?
Notice the two above posts said a "NEW" Manifold, I have used Originals that were not out of shape with no problem in fitting..
Rancho Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:49 AM   #9
Rocketdog1

Interesting... Nice to know that I'm not alone in my issues with the fit-up to the manifold.

New (black) Aries didn't fit up well to the original manifold, which was replaced about two weeks later. Didn't fit up well to the new one either, requiring an "adjustment" of the bend in the pipe. Not a big deal, really - but a little odd that this appears to be a common issue.

Whatever the case, no dents in the Aries, no sleeve/copper ring in the joint, new copper manifold gasket, and everything is nice and quiet.

All and all, I'm happy with it. Though I probably would've gone SS if the budget would've allowed.
Rocketdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:02 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

It's been over 10 years, but I bought a stainless "scratch and dent" Aries from ebay for about half price. Before shipping it Aries called me and said two would fit in the same box, so I could save a lot of shipping, so I bought 2 scratch and dent stainless for a good price. Since then I haven't seen this offer on ebay, so I assume they dropped it. The "offer" that is, not the "muffler".
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:15 PM   #11
Utopia Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
Someday I would like to receive an Aires muffler without at least one dent in it = 7 in a row in the last three years. The box is always undamaged, so I have to believe the mufflers were packed from the manufacturer with the dents already in place. Only the stainless steel muffler I ordered earlier this year was undamaged. I installed a regular Aires muffler yesterday that was ordered on Monday. One dent. SURPRISE!!!
Not to sound complaining, but we also had to place a drive shaft inside the pipe portion that mates to the exhaust manifold and bend this portion forward. The angle was wrong and wouldn't seat properly against the exhaust manifold flange, no matter what angle we titled the muffler. Bending that portion of the pipe forward brought the alignment into place. The car's frame is not sagging, the rear motor mounts are original style with good rubber, and the hand crank fits into the pulley ratchet nut. The exhaust manifold is brand new. So, everything in in alignment - except the Aires pipe.
Don't get me wrong: The Aires muffler is a good product and I'm glad they are being made to replace those worthless cheap-^ssed Midas garbage mufflers that we have been obliged to buy until the late 1990's. But I would like to see a little better quality control from the manufacturer. Perhaps occasional spot checks after packing to find out who is putting dents in the muffler portion? This many dents over the years is not co-incidental. Someone at Aires doesn't like his job so he takes it out on the mufflers. Or at least, the ones I have bought. Anyone else receiving dented Aires mufflers? Or am I being targeted?
O.K. Enough grousing. I like the muffler. I just question the quality control in the last couple years.
Marshall
Years ago Marshall bought a 1924 Model T Coupe from me. If He had written this post earlier I would have crawled under the Coupe with a hammer and left a bonus dent in the muffler just to make him feel better. BYW Marshall, Was it a regular Coupe or a Dr's Coupe? I don't remember!!!
Utopia Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:31 PM   #12
BILL WILLIAMSON

Has anyone used the new type clamp, that uses NO NUTS? Buster T. just gave me a "funny" look!
Bill W.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:47 PM   #13
Marshall V. Daut

Michael -
Do you mean that '24 Coupe has an Aires muffler???
She still looks good, Michael. 'Haven't driven it much back here in Iowa, but that will change later this summer.
Marshall "Dent-Free" Daut
P.S. For the benefit of you non-Model T-owning Model A guys, there ain't no such animal as a Model T "Doctor's Coupe"! There have been raging discussions over the years on Model T websites, but I think reason has finally won out. Most people now call Model T coupes owned by a plumber a "Plumber's Coupe" or a teacher a "Teacher's Coupe", etc. So, unless a doctor owned a Model T coupe, "Doctor's Coupe" was not official Ford nomenclature. Funny how one sees "Doctor's Coupe" almost exclusively when someone is trying to sell his coupe. I guess the owner thinks that adds some prestige and value to his car? Lots of good-natured (?) give-and-take ribbing in the "Doctor's Coupe" discussions. This subject for some reason doesn't pop up on Model A websites as much as it does on Model T websites.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:47 PM   #14
Charlie Stephens

I am sure most of you know this but it is important to remember there is a top and bottom side to the muffler clamp (different angle). I usually hold my muffler in place with a slight pressure from a floor jack while I tighten the clamp.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:50 PM   #15
Marshall V. Daut

What Charlie said...
M.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:36 PM   #16
P.S.

Purchased and installed 2 Aries black steel Model A mufflers, one for each of my Model As. The muffler aligned perfectly on the car with the original (slightly sagging) exhaust manifold. Had to modify the bend (just insert a pipe and pull a little) for the car with the repro exhaust manifold. This procedure is detailed in the instructions.

Yes, the black paint will burn off quickly. However, that isn't the worst of your worries... Getting those dang stickers off is the biggest headache! They leave paper/sticky residue behind, no matter how carefully you remove them. So, you end up having to strip the mufflers down and repaint with your favorite heat-resistant paint anyway.

Both of mine were purchased from Sacramento Vintage Ford in Sacramento and picked up in person. No dents.

The Aries mufflers are very quiet! Never any exhaust leaks.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:01 PM   #17
Utopia Texas

Quote:
Michael -
Do you mean that '24 Coupe has an Aires muffler???
She still looks good, Michael. 'Haven't driven it much back here in Iowa, but that will change later this summer.
Marshall "Dent-Free" Daut
P.S. For the benefit of you non-Model T-owning Model A guys, there ain't no such animal as a Model T "Doctor's Coupe"! There have been raging discussions over the years on Model T websites, but I think reason has finally won out. Most people now call Model T coupes owned by a plumber a "Plumber's Coupe" or a teacher a "Teacher's Coupe", etc. So, unless a doctor owned a Model T coupe, "Doctor's Coupe" was not official Ford nomenclature. Funny how one sees "Doctor's Coupe" almost exclusively when someone is trying to sell his coupe. I guess the owner thinks that adds some prestige and value to his car? Lots of good-natured (?) give-and-take ribbing in the "Doctor's Coupe" discussions. This subject for some reason doesn't pop up on Model A websites as much as it does on Model T websites.
Yes, I remember writing Aires on the muffler with a Marks-a-lot and you did pay me a extra $10 surcharge for the '24 being a Dr's Coupe.
Sorry.....no refunds at this time.
PS-Replacd the Coupe with another two seater but in a different color and 400hp.
https://fordbarn.com/forum/attachment...1&d=1466881515
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (106.6 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Utopia Texas; 06-25-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Utopia Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:40 PM   #18
BILL WILLIAMSON

Vermin was a Surgeons' Coupe, he's been sectioned, with a weld obstructing the assembley plant letters!
I don't know if the cowl or the ass end uf the car wuz replaced???
MYSTERIES ABOUND.
bILL cONFUSED
Old 06-25-2016, 06:51 PM   #19
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Funny how one sees "Doctor's Coupe" almost exclusively when someone is trying to sell his coupe. I guess the owner thinks that adds some prestige and value to his car?
Since we're off topic for a minute, It's kinda the same with Ford's first OHV V-8, the Y-Block. Seems every Y-Block is a 312ci Thunderbird Engine even tho most are 272/292ci and came in a truck.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:17 PM   #20
Steve_Mack_CT

Thanks all. Didn't have time to test drive today due to yardwork and dinner plans, but it seemed to go back together nicely. Used sealer only. Didn't like the Aries tail pipe hanger, almost seems too small based on what they say on heat expansion. Most likely going to use the old one there, as I cleaned it up and painted it this afternoon. ..