Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
miken7132

Default Engine won't start

My '29 Tudor engine was recently rebuilt - ran fine on the test stand. I rebuilt the carb, distributor (modern points), starter, etc. It turns over in the car but won't fire. After a short time gas drips out of the carb air intake. I removed the carb, checked the jets, and set the bowl fuel level using a fuel level gauge. Reinstalled the carb - same problem. There is current to the plugs. I'm using a slant pole coil that I purchased at a swap meet. I bought a spark tester to test it but the instructions say the engine must be running to use the device. Is there another way to test the coil? Any other ideas why the engine won't start?
miken7132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
RonC

Default Re: Engine won't start

An engine only need gas, air and spark to run. It may not run very good or for very long but it will run if it is getting those three elements. Sounds like your getting gas and I would assume air so check your spark. While turning the starter over does the ammeter needle bounce?? If it does you have spark at the points. That means you ignition from the battery through the coil and system ground works. If not either your ignition is not properly wired through the ammeter (a possiblity see the Model A service bulletins) or more likely you have no spark to the points. If the ammeter is bouncing then your car is probably flooded. If your carb was not dripping I would say you wern't getting any gas. Check and repost the results. Ron
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Remove the coil wire from the dist. cap and while holding it ¼ inch away from a good grounded surface, spin the engine over as if you were trying to start the engine. There should be a crisp blue spark. If there is none, there may be an issue with the points not opening correctly, or something is wired incorrectly. If the spark is weak, it could be from excessive electrical current drain trying to spin the engine, or dirty points or faulty condensor. Are you certain the circuit is wired correctly?

Gas dripping from the carb. is normal as it is being drawn up the intake maniold.

/

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:42 AM   #4
lenmissy

I just had that problem. I had wrong polarty on coil and bad coil len
lenmissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
Purdy Swoft

There is a good possibility that the problem is with the so called modern points. There was a thread last week about problems with modern points and what to do to make them work again when they fail, with no visible reason. That thread is probably on page 2 or 3 by now. Good luck.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #6
billwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by miken7132 View Post
My '29 Tudor engine was recently rebuilt - ran fine on the test stand. I rebuilt the carb, distributor (modern points), starter, etc. It turns over in the car but won't fire. After a short time gas drips out of the carb air intake. I removed the carb, checked the jets, and set the bowl fuel level using a fuel level gauge. Reinstalled the carb - same problem. There is current to the plugs. I'm using a slant pole coil that I purchased at a swap meet. I bought a spark tester to test it but the instructions say the engine must be running to use the device. Is there another way to test the coil? Any other ideas why the engine won't start?
Pull a plug check for compression Put the plug wire on the plug roll it oversee if the plug has fire.two things to try goodluck.
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Did you rebuild the distributor before, or after it ran fine on the test stand?

If after, make sure the timing is correct. Stop the engine with the points open, then turn the key on and short across the points using a screwdriver while holding the coil wire 1/4" from a good ground as Brent mentioned. If you now have a good blue spark, check the points for correct gap .020" or check for dirty contacts on the points.

It's important for us to know exactly what was changed or worked on AFTER the engine ran good on the stand.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote