Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-20-2021, 02:49 PM   #21
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed
Default Re: Perch pin removal help

Theres some good ones, I like the turning one to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie View Post
One thing I dod is turn an old rear axle down to fit in the shackle pin hole, then you have a turning lever about 2/1/2 foot long, with the axle in a good vice and a small amount of heat all the ones so far have turned and come loose.
Lawrie

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 11-20-2021 at 02:56 PM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 08:33 PM   #22
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
I have a nice big old blackhawk 50 ton press. Thats not the problem. The problem is that an axle with spindles and a wishbone is a heavy awkward thing thats not flat to just set on the bed and press. I have made many different jigs to hold it flat on the table, and C clamped a beam on the top of the press to hold it up, done it myself, but prefer some help now days. Fact is they can be a son ofa gun. Thats why I am interested in the pull method, may have to make one of those to try it out. At least you would be working on the floor to get the wish bone off, then the axle in the press for king pins would not be so bad

It's probably a two guy effort. You are right it's awkward and almost impossible by yourself.

Not about you cas. If you have a 10 ton press or a 1,000 ton press the results will be the same. The pin can only take so much before damage/distortion. Put some pressure on it and watch what is happening.

Last edited by Tinker; 11-21-2021 at 08:57 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:30 PM   #23
drfromnc

UPDATE: truck and diesel shop was able to remove the perch bolts. Guy who did the work wasn’t there when I picked it up to find out how it got if freed but axle does have some “battle scars”; one end of axle is has slightly out of round perch boss and bent a little up and in. Good thing a have someone lined up to lower it and will bring it back to life. Thanks all. D
drfromnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:43 PM   #24
rotorwrench

They bend easier than a person might think but it takes experience or trial and error to find out how much past the neutral line you have to bend to get it to stay at the neutral line when the pressure is released. A worn or stretched king pin bore can be milled out and bushed back to specs with a steel bushing that is welded or pinned. A person needs the alignment rods to check them at all four bores for alignment and proper angles. I believe it is 7 degree angles apex toward top for all of them with all rods aligned with the beam center line.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:49 PM   #25
supereal

Be cautious about heating the axle, such as red hot. It can affect the temper of the axle. I know from experience how difficult it is to get the perch holders out. Beating on them will likely swedge them, making them tighter. We get them occasionally at our machine shop, and prefer to having them before others have tried the job.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 12:41 AM   #26
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfromnc View Post
UPDATE: truck and diesel shop was able to remove the perch bolts. Guy who did the work wasn’t there when I picked it up to find out how it got if freed but axle does have some “battle scars”; one end of axle is has slightly out of round perch boss and bent a little up and in. Good thing a have someone lined up to lower it and will bring it back to life. Thanks all. D

So the 200$ question. Did they save the pins? Getting them out is one thing. Saving the pins is another.

Dropping the axle link. Of course plenty of options. Always different ways to do things.
https://droppedaxles.com/
Old 11-24-2021, 08:55 AM   #27
drfromnc

Yes, they gave me back the pins but I don’t think one is reusable. Not a big deal because I am going with newer, longer ones so I can bolt on lower shock mounts.
drfromnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:12 AM   #28
rich b

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfromnc View Post
I sometimes cringe when people advise others to take it to the "professionals"
and while the "professionals" maybe good at their normal job; many times old car stuff is out of their wheelhouse and "battle scars" are the result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
So the 200$ question. Did they save the pins? Getting them out is one thing. Saving the pins is another.
I kinda feel '32-'34 perch bolts are the only ones worth taking extra effort to "save" and on the others just getting them out is the important part.

On the other hand I did get a few more later model perch bolts out the other day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg perch bolts (Medium).jpg (36.2 KB, 36 views)
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 11:01 PM   #29
Tinker

Couple of those look suspiciously like also 38-39 trucks. Trucks always got all the left over car run stuff. Nice for model a hotrods, vehicles, and they are better quality then after market.

Nice work.