Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-06-2021, 12:08 PM   #1
rust revival

Default Sub rail to frame??

Another amateur question, I'm looking at buying brookville 28 roadster complete subframe assembly, instead of me doing the 5x8 plywood on saw horses, to start assembly, I thing its better and more accurate if I find a nice 28 frame and build off it,
Would all 28-29 frame be drilled for all models? Ie sedan roadster coupe, truck, or would I be blindly purchasing a frame that will not ease my build? Any thoughts would be welcomed,
Second question the brookville 28-29 roadster quarters have on triangle notches every inch or so the bottom
Now I no this is to attach to the sub rails, but what I cannot find (photos or info) on how is every notch drilled and plug weld to subrail? Or is it riveted? The bottoms of my factor quarter are completely gone, so I have nothing to reference,
rust revival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 12:29 PM   #2
40-A Twins

Default Re: Sub rail to frame??

Passenger car frames have holes for every model of body.
When I installed patch panels on my roadsters, I bent those tabs until they touched the subrail and tack welded at the tip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg model A frame dimensions.jpg (51.4 KB, 29 views)
40-A Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 01:15 PM   #3
rust revival

Hum,ok good to know
I was under the impression 28-29 frames are drilled different then 30-31 so that's good to know, I really don't want to be messing around marking out holes, that should already be there, defeats the purpose of me buying a frame to build off of
rust revival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 02:09 PM   #4
Cape Codder

Having checked the Model A Motor Numbers listed in "The Ford Model A As henry Built It". It shows that the last number in December of '29 is 2742695 so any number [I]less[I] than that shouldbe a '29 OR '28! Hopefully you can find a frame with numbers on it that are readable.
Good Luck and Hope this helps!
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 03:42 PM   #5
Chuck Sea/Tac

28/29 frames are different than 30/31. The confusion seems to be the wording “fitting all bodies”. All bodies of the two years, except I believe there are some differences in 30/31 frames for certain bodies.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 06:06 PM   #6
rotorwrench

Pluck's site has all the info on frame changes. One of the big changes was the change to the taller radiator which required the mount pads to be lowered about 1/8" so the cross member is different.

Some state DOTs actually check the numbers for year model so that could end as a 31 model registration with a 28 body. It depends on the state when going about the task of getting a title. Another thing you will find is that Ford of Canada used a different numbering system. Here is a good link for that. I have no idea what the provinces do for registration of lost titles.
http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/ABenginenumbers.htm#C5
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote