Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2016, 09:19 PM   #21
Steve_Mack_CT

Default Re: Aries muffler question

Utopia, nice SL. We have an 89 560, the "shiny car" in the stable. :-)
Old 06-25-2016, 10:20 PM   #22
Utopia Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Mack_CT View Post
Utopia, nice SL. We have an 89 560, the "shiny car" in the stable. :-)
Mine is a '2008 SL550 slightly chipped for a bit more hp.
Last of the naturally aspirated engines in the series.
My Granddaughter's first comment the first time she rode in it was,
"Where's the rear view camera?"
I keep forgetting that teenagers today have no concept of just how old and historic Model T's and A's are. To them a old car is something from the 1990's!
Utopia Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:28 PM   #23
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Muffler comparisons,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mufflers.jpg (67.1 KB, 108 views)
Old 06-26-2016, 09:53 AM   #24
Steve_Mack_CT

Road test complete, all good. Couple of closing comments. Our A has an aftermarket otwell accessory heater thst I believe is a one piece casting with the exhaust manifold. Not warped, construction of that may have helped over the years. Also, the junky repro tail pipe hanger not an Aries, wanted to set record straight on that.

Ha, utopia, I get your drift, nice ride
Old 06-26-2016, 10:21 AM   #25
Ulysses6

use WD-40 on the stickers. it will soften the paper and release the adhesive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
Purchased and installed 2 Aries black steel Model A mufflers, one for each of my Model As. The muffler aligned perfectly on the car with the original (slightly sagging) exhaust manifold. Had to modify the bend (just insert a pipe and pull a little) for the car with the repro exhaust manifold. This procedure is detailed in the instructions.

Yes, the black paint will burn off quickly. However, that isn't the worst of your worries... Getting those dang stickers off is the biggest headache! They leave paper/sticky residue behind, no matter how carefully you remove them. So, you end up having to strip the mufflers down and repaint with your favorite heat-resistant paint anyway.

Both of mine were purchased from Sacramento Vintage Ford in Sacramento and picked up in person. No dents.

The Aries mufflers are very quiet! Never any exhaust leaks.
Ulysses6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:35 AM   #26
Marshall V. Daut

"Goof Off" also works well. Spray, allow to soak in, and then peel off.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:46 AM   #27
Utopia Texas

Hey Marshall, When my wife says, "the goof off is in the garage" most folks just assume she is referring to me!
Utopia Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:56 AM   #28
Marshall V. Daut

Michael -
Your wife and my wife must be sisters! They obviously think alike.
But at least around here I'm "MISTER Goof Off".
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:49 PM   #29
glenn in camino

I use the sleeve. No gasket, but some muffler sealant on the flange. Works fine.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:14 PM   #30
Mike V. Florida

For a proper fit, the flange and the manifold must be at the proper angle, clean and straight.

Here is a tool you can make to clean the pitted manifold from a few parts,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exhuast flange.jpg (37.7 KB, 120 views)
Old 06-27-2016, 03:26 AM   #31
jfreddie

Back to the question about the copper gasket...I've not had any luck using them. They seem to accelerate loosening of the joint. When that happens, you can't effectively retighten. In all cases I've had to loosen the joint, take out the gasket and reseal. Big pain.
jfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:40 AM   #32
Ray in La Mesa

The original muffler clamp was not designed to allow the use of the thickness of the copper gasket.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:27 AM   #33
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Angry Re: Aries muffler question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
Someday I would like to receive an Aires muffler without at least one dent in it = 7 in a row in the last three years. The box is always undamaged, so I have to believe the mufflers were packed from the manufacturer with the dents already in place. Only the stainless steel muffler I ordered earlier this year was undamaged. I installed a regular Aires muffler yesterday that was ordered on Monday. One dent. SURPRISE!!!
Not to sound complaining, but we also had to place a drive shaft inside the pipe portion that mates to the exhaust manifold and bend this portion forward. The angle was wrong and wouldn't seat properly against the exhaust manifold flange, no matter what angle we titled the muffler. Bending that portion of the pipe forward brought the alignment into place. The car's frame is not sagging, the rear motor mounts are original style with good rubber, and the hand crank fits into the pulley ratchet nut. The exhaust manifold is brand new. So, everything in in alignment - except the Aires pipe.
Don't get me wrong: The Aires muffler is a good product and I'm glad they are being made to replace those worthless cheap-^ssed Midas garbage mufflers that we have been obliged to buy until the late 1990's. But I would like to see a little better quality control from the manufacturer. Perhaps occasional spot checks after packing to find out who is putting dents in the muffler portion? This many dents over the years is not co-incidental. Someone at Aires doesn't like his job so he takes it out on the mufflers. Or at least, the ones I have bought. Anyone else receiving dented Aires mufflers? Or am I being targeted?
O.K. Enough grousing. I like the muffler. I just question the quality control in the last couple years.
Marshall
To suggest someone at the factory does not like his job and intentionally puts dents in mufflers is utter nonsense and borders on defamation ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:30 AM   #34
Steve_Mack_CT

Neat tool, Mike V. I used a wirebrush and sandpaper as the manifold was on the car.

Never had luck with the copper gasket either, from attempts to stop the leak in our prior Model A. I have a sleeve on hand but did not use it, assuming it is unnecessary and even a minor hindrance to air flow if I did not need it. I have had luck with those on existing exhaust systems.

Quite a difference between the Aries muffler and the import that was on it in terms of size. Idle sounds nice now. My only concern, if there is one is how close it comes to the brake linkage. Some space there, but not a lot. Anyone else notice this?
Old 06-27-2016, 10:50 PM   #35
Barber31

I received my stainless Aries a few weeks ago and didn't have any issues with fitment or dents. There were a couple of spot welds that stand out on the polished muffler that I assume is for the baffles but no biggie. I also used goof off to remove the stickers and the rear tail pipe clamp was definitely small. I made it work but the bolt was now too short to fit a cotter pin in.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:28 PM   #36
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber31 View Post
I received my stainless Aries a few weeks ago and didn't have any issues with fitment or dents. There were a couple of spot welds that stand out on the polished muffler that I assume is for the baffles but no biggie. I also used goof off to remove the stickers and the rear tail pipe clamp was definitely small. I made it work but the bolt was now too short to fit a cotter pin in.
Careful, the clamp HAS to be a loose fit especially when using the stainless muffler!!
Old 06-28-2016, 08:02 AM   #37
JBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
I use the sleeve. No gasket, but some muffler sealant on the flange. Works fine.
I also use the sleeve. It makes it much easier to line things up correctly.

I had a Beaver stainless muffler several years ago that came with a dent. Maybe when Beaver stopped making mufflers this workman went to work for Aries!!
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:53 AM   #38
Art Newland

I knew I should've asked about this... I installed an Aries exhaust a while ago and it didn't line up well with my old exhaust manifold very well. Manifold was warped and I knew it, was waiting for a new one from Brattons so I blamed it on the manifold. It didn't line up with the new manifold either. And I wasn't impressed with the "quiet" everyone was talking about from these mufflers. So I guess I need to take it off and bend the pipe so it goes straight into the manifold? Seems ridiculous to me that so many are let out from the manufacturer in this condition.
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:11 PM   #39
Willie Krash

I had no problems, just lucky I guess. Joe is a couple of miles from my shop. Nice guy.
If you really feel its a problem on his side I would contact him.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:26 PM   #40
Bruce

I'm thankful for Aries, too. But I am not a fan of their oversized tailpipe clamp with the fuzzy lining. I bought two of those rattling "aftermarket" bad ideas. Both shed their insulation in short order. (I know, fool me twice, shame on me).
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote