Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-19-2016, 10:56 AM   #21
mshmodela

Default Re: Crap Gas

The corn lobby has bushels of green.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:31 AM   #22
BILL WILLIAMSON

I can't even afford CORN TORTILLAS, anymore!
Bill W.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:44 AM   #23
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
The corn lobby has bushels of green.
Are you suggesting that is bad? Why not help the farmers? Wayne.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 02:45 PM   #24
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed thibodeau View Post
Maybe theres different ethanol in different parts of the country. I have used nothing but ethanol since it came out, in my A's, garden tractor, chainsaw, and my 8n tractor. The A's set from Nov. to Apr., the 8n gets used once a year to grade the drive way and the chainsaw very rarely. I never had a problem with any starting or running and some of the gas in the 8n has been in it for at least 5 years.?? don't know! I am in southeast Mi.
same here, used in everything from outboard 2 cycle, riding mowers, push mowers that sit outside under our boat with snow on them all winter, cars that maybe go through 3 tanks a year and sit all winter (30+ year mech fuel pump just fine) I've never had fuel problems or stuck valves or any of this... In tank pump in my s10 is factory from 95 with 226k miles on it...weve had ethonal since the early 80s...

I really do wonder if there are different types out there...
Old 11-19-2016, 02:58 PM   #25
JtownJoe

I bought a 51 Chevy in 1975 that had sat for over 8 years and with a new battery fired right up with the old gas in it. Never happen with our New and Improved gas!
JtownJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:30 AM   #26
40 Deluxe

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian Simpson View Post
Any left over methanol went in the tank of my daily rider bike. It would be all gone within a week. Never had a problem.
"all gone within a week" This is why you didn't have a problem. The problems come after the alcohol has had a chance to absorb moisture from the atmosphere. Why didn't you store your race bike with the methanol still in the tank?!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:00 AM   #27
todd3131

I was slow to agree with the thought about ethanol so I did some testtwith my 08 Honda and 2010 f150 both have onboard computers. What I found was by burning the cheap gas and then switching to high octane non alcohol gas is my milage picked up by ten to fifteen percent and ran better. The point t to alcohol was to make a cleaner burning fuel but we end up burning even more.
I just too a trip from now to the gulf coast and if found that the gas in the south where I was at least didn't have ethanol and it was better quality and I had better performance and economy.

I heard recently that the car companies are asking the refineries to make better gas so they can hit their emissions goals. If someone has an article or any information about that I would like to see it I have only been told and search on the web has turned up anything.
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:12 PM   #28
Tinbasher

Whats the percentage of Ethanol in the US? Up here it's 10% and I think it's a bad idea for the damage it does. I know it will destroy white metal and rubber parts. Glad that Model A's have cast Iron carbs, brass and steel fittings and lines.

John Poole
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:28 PM   #29
holdover

I believe that ethanol blend is not required in all states, but in many. As to destruction to fuel system parts, I had the same thing happen to my 65 Mustang FB, put a new tank and fuel gauge in it in Oct '15 put about 10 gal of gas in in it drove it a bit, put it on top on my storage 4 post with stabil in the tank, went to start it in April no fuel drained the tank, gas looked terrible, pulled the fuel gauge and it looked like the one in the pic, pulled the tank, and it was destroyed as well, near 200.00 to replace the parts. Thankful that I have ethanol free gas avail close.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:21 PM   #30
steve s

This is turning out to be quite an interesting puzzle--kind of reminds me of the vapor lock controversy. Some people have a tremendous problem, while others not at all. Hopefully, the discussion will remain civil.

This time, I'm in the camp that just parks their cars in the fall, with no special treatment, and then starts them up in the spring with no problem. But, Mitch's pictures are pretty compelling.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:55 PM   #31
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
This is turning out to be quite an interesting puzzle--kind of reminds me of the vapor lock controversy. Some people have a tremendous problem, while others not at all. Hopefully, the discussion will remain civil.

This time, I'm in the camp that just parks their cars in the fall, with no special treatment, and then starts them up in the spring with no problem. But, Mitch's pictures are pretty compelling.
I do the same thing for that period of time fall to spring with no additives.. 6 mths to a year or more i would definitely take precautions
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:09 PM   #32
Greg Jones

I speculate relative humidity might be a big determinant as to whether you have a big issue with the crap gas. Here in South Carolina humidity is like a sauna and yes gasahol goes bad after a few months. Maybe in arid parts of the country it is not as big a problem. Ethanol is hygroscopic meaning it attracts water.
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:09 PM   #33
3.6rs

At the moment we have 5% ethanol in Belgium
From january 1, 2017 this will be 10%. The so called E10.
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:14 AM   #34
ian Simpson

We are lucky here as most premium gas is ethanol free. That is what we use in our collector vehicles.

I used to run some drag racing motorcycles on pure methanol back in the bad old days. I saw what happened to the fuel system if it was not drained and purged right after race day. Ethanol is a close cousin, so I am not surprised at the damage Mitch discovered.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote