Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
Tom Wesenberg

Default What to Look for in this Powerhouse Generator

Does anyone know who "5barnauto" is? They are in Carbondale, IL.

They have this powerhouse generator on ebay and don't say much about it and only 2 pictures. I don't even know if the pulley is there. I do want to show you what to be suspect of when looking for a GOOD generator. This one looks like a good case and brush holder, though the pictures and description don't really show it.

The brushes are all totally shot and the one next to the power out wire is not even close to the commutator. You can see the brush springs are setting in the brush holder stops, which means NO bushes are pressing on the commutator. I see a few bright spots in the closeup picture, which looks like a few spots of thrown solder. Notice the color of the ends of the commutator bars near the power out wire on the right side. See how the copper bars are redish, where the rest of the bars are more of a golden copper color. The redish tells me some of the bars were overheated, possibly caused by a shorted armature.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131119656455...T#ht_499wt_867
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:27 PM   #2
jm29henry

Default Re: What to Look for in this Powerhouse Generator

Tom I read his profile more than 10 people said they did not get there part and no response from seller .I read that he has sold a lot of parts and people wrote good things the most common thing I read was very little description on part if any at all ,those are the customers that seem not to be happy .hope this helps!!! plus he wants $30.00 dollars for shipping .that almost $100.00 dollar for basically a core .?????
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #3
Big John

i see he has another listed in the same ad for 29.95
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:40 PM   #4
Joe K

Quote:
plus he wants $30.00 dollars for shipping .that almost $100.00 dollar for basically a core .?????
I see this a lot. Maybe an attempt to cash in on the impulse buyers?

A recent Buy It Now for a growler I passed on as he had $10 shipping. For some reason the buyer dropped the shipping for the weekend - so I impulse bought.

I won't say I got the best price in the world. I probably could have done better over at Amherst, NH swap meet. But I would have had to drive there (think $30 wear and tear and gasoline) and paid admission (Still a bargain at $5) So I probably came out ahead.

Ebay is TRULY where Caveit Emptor lives. I especially like the disassembled Tillotson carbs arranged to limit view of bowl cracks caused by freezing.

Joe K
Old 02-21-2014, 12:21 AM   #5
redmodelt

I have bought a coupe of things from them in the past. Their descriptions are a bit vague but seem to get back to you if you ask a question.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote