Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
tinmanlsu

Default Brake brass split bushing

I was able to save the graphite cloth from the old shaft and I am trying to reassemble a new shaft with new brass split bushings. On the new shaft, and I don't have a micrometer, but using a crescent wrench with size markings, the new shaft is less than half a millimeter in diameter larger. There is a gap of at least 1/2" between the two halves of the bushing when I put all pieces back on the shaft. If I put the bushings on the shaft without the cloth, the gap is zero and the play/slop is minimal. Am I supposed to use a clamp or vise to get the bushings to seat on the cloth covered shaft or were some shafts made larger so as to run without the cloth? Any help is appreciated. As always, thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (22.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (23.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (22.4 KB, 59 views)
tinmanlsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Default Re: Brake brass split bushing

Skip the cloth. If I recall, the original bushings were steel and thus needed the cloth. But the brass is self-lubing to a point, and anyway put a dollop of never seize in there for extra lube. It will be fine. Mine like that for 20 yrs

If you try to squeeze the bushings onto the cloth it will bind and you will need to stand on the brake pedal to get anything to happen
Old 02-16-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
afuncar

cloth or graphite ring doesn't go on brake shaft. I think it's for water pump shaft. Just grease brake shaft and assemble.
afuncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:26 AM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

agree keep the cloth as a souvenir and put together with a silicone grease or equivalent. the brakes wont release properly if to tight
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #5
Kevin in NJ

Here is probably way too many details....

The original bushings were made of steel or pot metal.

The design is such that it keeps the shaft located and does not bind as the frame does its substantial flexing on poor road surfaces. That is the reason for the ball outer shape.

The reason for the graphite impregnated material was the fact it would never need grease. This was to prevent it from sticking as grease attracts dirt and gets hard over time. This would cause the shaft to bind. The fabric material also keeps it from rattling.

So Ford puts lots of thought into the design.

When you put the shaft together the split bushings will do fine. You must be sure the shaft is free moving with no binding. You must monitor this through out the life of the car.

I should mention that removing those rivets and putting the repro cloth bushings is not hard to do. On the other hand, the split bushings seem to do the job and no one has reported that they have caused an issue. Keep in mind that just because no one has not reported a problem that no problem exists. I did put the none split brass bushing on the 1930 fordor I used to own and it worked fine for years I drove the car.

Keep in mind that a bit a play in this bushing is ok though it may cause noise. These are the same bushings as used on the emergency brake shaft that goes through the frame rails.

One other note..
Oh and NO Ford did not forget the grease fitting as no grease was to ever be used in the original bushing. My opinion is that s grease fitting should never be put into the bushing preventing it from moving around.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #6
tinmanlsu

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
As usual, outstanding info with every angle covered...THANK YOU ALL!!!
tinmanlsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #7
LopezCarguy

How about the nylon bushings being sold today, you just cut at angle and warm them up to put over shaft...should not rattle and I think as a bearing it should do the job??
LopezCarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
Purdy Swoft

I've got to wonder if the graphite cloth was still intact, why the original bushings were removed in the first place???????
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote