Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-14-2019, 06:54 PM   #21
james hitchcock

Default Re: Walter won't start !

Thanks for all the information. I was told I should change my ground from the transmission tower to the frame. Said transmission should only be used as a secondary ground. It's always worked there before but hey what do I know.
james hitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:02 PM   #22
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
Bart,

Or turn the fuel valve on, I've done that when I assumed it was on. Better yet, step on the starter and not on the foot rest like I did! Finally figured out that the foot rest wasn't moving. After a few minutes of watching me my wife said "You need a check list to start it, like a pilot!"

David Serrano
I DO have a "Pre-Flight" check list, including walking around the car. More than once I have driven away with something sitting on the right running board. I usually lose it on the first left hand corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james hitchcock View Post
Thanks for all the information. I was told I should change my ground from the transmission tower to the frame. Said transmission should only be used as a secondary ground. It's always worked there before but hey what do I know.
Doesn't hurt to have a ground to the transmission AND the frame.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-15-2019, 11:31 AM   #23
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by james hitchcock View Post
The heavy ground cable is required only for starter current. From an electrical standpoint, it is best to connect it as close to the starter housing as possible. Beyond that, only a #12 wire to the frame is required to serve as ground return path for lights. But most guys just add a #2 wire or braid between the standard battery frame connection and the engine.

Not a bad idea to add a #12 between generator/alternator housing and frame as well.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:45 AM   #24
Afordman31

My buddies Model A wouldn't start and it turned out that the ammeter went bad. I changed that and started and ran fine!
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote