Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-21-2018, 10:34 AM   #301
BillEbob

Smile Re: tell a Model A related story

We were 10 A's (from our club) made @100 mile r/t to a small town SE of Albuquerque for their Pumkin' Chunkin' Fall Festival!

Perfect day, perfect weather, no problems! We were the hit of their parade, throwing candy to kids!

Great time, great folks, GREAT cars!

Bill
BillEbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:03 AM   #302
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

No one likes the Tax Man.

It was simply a need to replace a time expired or a poorly performing engine, ie worn out, each year and deduct the cost as an expense. A Pratt radial cost about 20K exchange at the time - during the eighties and early nineties.
My friend Robbie has purchased a turbine Thrush with an engine nearly time expired and in due course has it rebuilt. The rebuild costs of a turbine exceeds 200K and Robbie makes his tax claim accordingly. This is vastly different from the usual 20K and bells ring at the Tax Department. The question of whether an overhauled engine should be a deduction or depreciation now becomes the topic. Investigation into Robbie’s business is now underway and takes about 3 years to conclude. Robbie tells me to watch out because we all were in for an audit now.
And in due course I get a visit from the Tax Department. I ask the investigator what I have done to deserve him, knowing full well the answer. “we acquired expertise in this industry and now we will utilise it.” The investigation takes nearly a year then I am advised I am to be investigated for tax fraud. I have incorrectly made a legitimate deduction in the wrong financial year. This enquiry lasts another 18 months and I am charged for the offence. The fine, interest on money and costs weren’t great and of course they sort press publicity. Not one single person sided with the juggernaut but were jokingly sympathic to me.
They also investigated 2 other aviation business that I know of which exposes the tax investigators wretched attitude. Nasty little fellows they are.

This is my story for tomorrow and the names will be phoney.
Both the Pratt and Whitney radial and turbine ( PT6) shown here. Pictures from the internet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pratt radial engine.jpg (16.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg pt6.jpg (20.9 KB, 7 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:45 AM   #303
woofa.express

Gotcha says the Nasty Tax Man.

Well the tax storm troopers were going through other aeroplane operators. One whose name is Ken lives about 100 miles from me. Now Ken is a likeable and pleasant fellow and has an operation spreading fertilizer on hill pasture and spraying crops.
The nasty storm trooper abbreviated now NST, asks for a look around. This is because they once sprung a bloke rebuilding a wreckage as repairs and maintenance were hoping to spring another. Well Ken showed the NST his Cessna Agwagon and Ken being hospitable, helpful and informative said a 300hp engine was standard but for better safety and production had re engined it with a 400hp engine.
Well that’s a capital expense and not a deduction was the cry from NST. Gotcha. Now you pay. Poor Ken, he wasn’t a bloke that looked for trouble.
Tomorrow, the dirtiest most deceitful and most fraudulent of all tricks from the NST.

Today’s story is short so to supplement it do check out this link. Quite unrelated to Model A’s and aeroplanes but is relevant to the age of many of us. It is less than 3 minutes long.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjLD7sZ3ZCc
cheers, gary

Old 10-24-2018, 06:04 PM   #304
woofa.express

Just remember the names in these Tax stories are phoney and NST is "nasty storm trooper" which pertains to the tax department’s inspectors.
We have a tax here and others may well have it too. When one has the private use of company property such as a motor car or aeroplane, one is required to pay fringe benefit tax or FBT for short.

A Most Despicable Act.

Des was an aeroplane painter in our local community. He did an excellent job and had painted hundreds including 7 for myself. We used a common accountant whose name was Cecil. Taxation was conducting an audit on Des’s business and one day they appeared unannounced at Cecil’s office . They were wanting to view additional paper work of Des’s.
Cecil called Des and said he, Cecil, was going to bring an auditor to check more of Des’s paper work. Well Des said just send him out and insisted all would be well. Just put him in a room with a table and leave him be was Cecil's instruction. Don’t even make the man a drink of tea.
Well the NST arrives and tells Des he is intrigued with aeroplanes. One strikes his attention and that is a medium size twin Cessna painted about 10 colours ringed around the fuselage which Des take this to air shows to promote his business. Well Des opens his mouth, “would you like to go for a ride in it?”
Yes of course so off they go. I don’t know much about the flight but that does not really matter. But I do know what happened when they returned back on the ground. Fringe benefit tax. Des said he was obligated to pay 100K when it was all sorted.
I have always taken and trusted people on face value and always being correct with the exception of purchasing a tractor on line through ebay. What I thought was ebay. Des has always done the same. There is a old time quote and that is “you knew what I was before you picked me up” and it was of course, a snake. Well that’s exactly what Des picked up wasn’t it. Wasn’t that a despicable act of deceit by the NST.?

Old 10-25-2018, 12:43 PM   #305
woofa.express

The names in this story are phoney.

Bernie’s cheque bounced. How fortunate.

James had a flying training and charter business at a local airport. Retirement was on his mind when a bloke named Bernie arrived to set up in competition. What started as a worry for James turned to a Godsend, or it seemed at the time. Bernie decided he'd buy James’s business. Following negotiation an agreement was formed. James took a 10K deposit, hitched his caravan to his ute and left for the outback.
James got to Oodnadatta and back into mobile phone coverage. He calls his accountant back home to check all was going well with the sale. No it wasn’t. Bernie had no money, not enough to pay James or anyone else for that matter. He was bust, bankrupt. What a blow for James. Or was it? It turned out most fortunate. Liquidators got involved and they are sharks. About the worst kind. Should that cheque have been honoured they, the liquidators, would have taken possession of James’s business including aeroplanes and hangar which would have been Bernie’s property now even though it was not fully payed for. James would have lost the lot. It was even suggested they would have demanded the deposit be returned.
I would have never considered that, would you? I sold my business on terms and sealed the deal with a handshake. I just chose to deal with honourable people. There are two reasons for that and I’ll tell you. Maybe tomorrow.

Last edited by woofa.express; 10-25-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:54 AM   #306
woofa.express

My very favourite response to Farmer offering advise.

When I am discussing details of paddock to spray.. Farmer informs you that pilot “Jack” sprays this way or pilot Jack does things that way. Farmer has confronted you with a challenge. I’ll make the point by an example.
I was to spray cereal for Allan Hawkins at Tocumwal. The paddock had a kidney shaped lagoon on the north and Allan asked if I could start at the lagoon , working south maintaining the curve I’d track on the first run. Continue to fly the curve.
Well I’m not that good, but I can maintain a straight line between the markers, starting with two short runs, and expanding I explain.
Well that didn’t seem to please Allan and he informed me the last bloke I’d sent there could maintain a curve, and in this very same paddock. “who was he I enquired.” Came from Victoria somewhere in Gippsland. Maybe, I said, Bob Landsbury. “Yes, yes, that’s the bloke” Allan responded.
Now here comes my punch line. And I love to quote it.
“but Bob’s a much better pilot than me”.
It just kills the farmers point of view, he is snookered, you have taken his king or what ever. Farmer then concedes, to himself , he is beaten and almost always ends up with a laugh or at least a chuckle.
I always look for a chance to drop that line. Do you like it? I do.

Old 10-26-2018, 08:34 AM   #307
katy

Quote:
“but Bob’s a much better pilot than me”.
Good one.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:24 PM   #308
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Good one.

Our local aerial agricultural association does "safety courses" and quotes me frequently.

Last edited by woofa.express; 10-29-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:23 AM   #309
mfirth

Had a friend in the 60s with an A with a worn motor. Saw it sitting in a small parking lot late on a very cold night. Told my pals that Brent's A finally blew up. Wrong! Went buy the lot where the A was & there was a big burned looking spot on the ground & the car was gone. Too cold for the heavy oil Brent used, so....yup he built a fire under the oil pan to thin the oil some so she could roll over & start. What a hoot!!! mike
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:18 PM   #310
woofa.express

Arriving on Time.

This story involves Graham who I purchased my business from in 1980, plus a pilot by the name of Rob who spoke of the story, thus.
Well Graham was always late. A bloke full of fun but so much it would be frustrating just working with him. I always had a love hate relationship with him for the reason mentioned above.
Well Rob says he arrived on the strip, on time with the loading truck following. The farmers arrive with long faces, something obviously wrong.
What’s the matter Rob enquires?
Well we always order Graham the day before we want him.
Now that’s tolerant customers isn’t it.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:36 PM   #311
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfirth View Post
Had a friend in the 60s with an A with a worn motor. Saw it sitting in a small parking lot late on a very cold night. Told my pals that Brent's A finally blew up. Wrong! Went buy the lot where the A was & there was a big burned looking spot on the ground & the car was gone. Too cold for the heavy oil Brent used, so....yup he built a fire under the oil pan to thin the oil some so she could roll over & start. What a hoot!!! mike

Heating engine oil.

I purchased an Airtractor 301 in 1982 powered by a Pratt and Whitney 1340 cubic inch radial. It would be parked at night in a drive through shed. Winter gets cold, cold for us that is and an extreme temp would be minus 4 and not frequently. I had a heater programmed to turn on the oil reservoir 2 hours before I was ready to crank. If I was working away from home I would not add oil until the morning. About 4 gallons. I would light a small fire and put a 4 gallon drum on the fire or embers. It did not take much heat to turn thick heavy oil to very runny oil. Thus easier to pour and the engine would heat much quicker. Plus the supercharger was lubricated much earlier It was surprising just how little heat it took to change the viscosity of that oil to a thin flowable product. .

Last edited by woofa.express; 10-27-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:21 PM   #312
woofa.express

Finding Final by chance.

I can take you back to almost any job that I have done. Almost. One job I can’t was only 50 miles from home base. I simply don't know where it was. Spreading fertilizer on a cereal crop. We didn’t complete this job on the first day and returned in the morning to do so. Except nearly the whole area was covered with fog. I flew around looking for a break and eventually found one. Thought I’d descend through the break and see if I could recognise some country. That really was optimistic because I was unfamiliar with anything around here. Well you wouldn’t believe it but I was on final approach to the strip from which we were working. About 500 yards to run.
I landed, everyone just carried on as if they were expecting me to arrive through the break. One could fly a life time and never get to do that again.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:33 PM   #313
woofa.express

A Military crash, a Cropduster Crash.

Every military crash makes big headlines and this goes on for days. Lawyers gather for a picnic and would be authorities come from out of the wood work to provide their opinion. The media musters up some arm chair admirals or equivalent who speak with great authority, their ego’s flowing over. Well I guess these pilots have cost more than a million to train, some of them considerably more.The aeroplane generally costs many millions too.
Now a cropduster has taken flying lessons whilst he (mostly) has a job to finance his future career. It costs him too, but to a lesser amount of course to the military. He gains several pilot licences starting with a student and progresses up to commercial and agricultural pilot licence. He then gets adifficult to find job because he or she is lacking experience, then, in time, contributes to food and fibre production and maybe to health. He protects farmer’s crops and contributes to the national income. A good personal and professional effort, having gone without to reach his goal.
Should he be killed doing his job he may get a small once of column somewhere off the front page and sometimes several pages in.
Next time you see a cropduster do realise he is self financed and trained at no cost to the tax payer plus is making a substantial contribution to farming and to the national income. Please don’t forget the farmer and cropduster plus others in the food production chain. They put the food on your table.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cat2.jpg (28.0 KB, 1 views)

Old 10-29-2018, 02:34 PM   #314
40 Deluxe

Next time you see a cropduster do realise he is self financed and trained at no cost to the tax payer plus is making a substantial contribution to farming and to the national income. Please don’t forget the farmer and cropduster plus others in the food production chain. They put the food on your table.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Aw, c'mon, Gary! Everyone knows that food comes from the grocery store! We don't need no stinkin' farms! They use up the water that we need for our golf courses and lawn sprinklers!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:13 PM   #315
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Next time you see a cropduster do realise he is self financed and trained at no cost to the tax payer plus is making a substantial contribution to farming and to the national income. Please don’t forget the farmer and cropduster plus others in the food production chain. They put the food on your table.[/SIZE]
Aw, c'mon, Gary! Everyone knows that food comes from the grocery store! We don't need no stinkin' farms! They use up the water that we need for our golf courses and lawn sprinklers![/QUOTE]

I'm having a good chuckle at the audacity of your humour.
yes, I guess people's priority would have it that way when a supermarket is able to provide so adequately. cheers, gary

Old 10-30-2018, 06:23 PM   #316
woofa.express

This is part of a letter I wrote several years back to my cropduster buddy explaining a flight Melbourne to Honkers with my son Michael who we call Moo. All cropdusters I know would like a shot at these big aeroplanes and all airline pilots I know would love to go cropdusting. I guess everyone is curious.

Here is part of my letter to my buddy crop pilot.

Yes I got a ride up front. Was invited to sit there for the entire trip but Menindee did me. What I observed was most interesting. Start all automated. Moo said computer would shut engine down if malfunction occurred.
The next thing, I observed and liked was the slow speed they taxied and turned. They however crossed the east west runway with a clearance but didn’t look outside the window to check.

The takeoff was also very interesting. Taxi height is about power wire height and it has an almost alarming nose high attitude before wheels leave runway. It seemed about ferry height. A pilot applies takeoff power and the computer automatically throttles back to climb power at 1000 feet. This movement is rapid and I find it alarming. I have had so many engine failures any change in engine noise makes me jump. However I notice Moo does this reduction by hand. I asked him why and he said that he too, when flying passenger, gets a fright with this automatic rapid power reduction.

We were business class. The seats converted to beds, electrically controlled just like the seats in an up market motorcar. One was totally isolated from other pax. I never saw Patsy unless we both extended our necks around a big plastic consol between us. Great if you feel you need solitude and great if you don’t want your wife to know when the stewardess serves you another Champaign. Otherwise just isolated. I’d prefer premium economy.
I told the cabin crew, the service was excellent, but asked if the pilots were any good. Always the answer was yes, your son is very good. No negatives, they say just what one likes to hear.
I returned to the front about a half hour before landing. The approach into honkers was long and drawn out. Reduce speed to 220 to comply with control for separation purposes. A large number of turns. Moo and first officer cursing about this. We broke about 700 feet. The automated voice advising when decision height was reached. As we approached the piano keys I was concerned we were too fast and wouldn’t touch until at least half way down the strip. Then the computer insulted the pilots by calling to them “retard retard”. It was at that moment the tyres squeaked. Where I figured we would touchdown is where we stopped. One sits very high and the speed is higher of course than the cropdusters I fly.

An enjoyable flight, great view. Moo said it was a good flight as it was daytime and sunny until Honkers which was overcast and smoggy. I would have enjoyed that flying if I was younger but not today with such long periods of inactivity. The advantage with ag flying is one’s mind is mostly always occupied and one doesn’t have to pay as much tax!

As a footnote. Moo is still flying Airbus but now the A350, the Boeing Dreamliner competitor. His brother Dennis (Mushy) is flying the Airbus 330. Dennis much prefers the Boeings. He says the inputs (Airbus) to the pole and other controls are adjusted by the computer and not what is affected (correct word ?) .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cathay A330.jpg (19.5 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 10-30-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:30 PM   #317
woofa.express

I’m going to do a few stories on pilots, loader drivers and those I hold in high esteem – farmers.
The name Mary is phoney.

Frank Spencer.

His picture is above. the one on the left. The actor that is, not my driver.
Did you see the British TV show “some mothers do have them”.The star of the show was Michael Crawford playing Frank Spencer, a bumbling fool who messed up everything he handled and infuriated everyone he came incontact with. A good show. Well I employed a bloke by the name of Dick. Just the same as Frank Spencer thus I called him “Frank”. A likeable fellow but exasperating with continual unpunctuality, forgetfulness and bumbling.
Well Dick had recently left his wife and now had an attractive young girl friend. Her name was Mary. And Mary had worked on their family poultry farm and part of her farm duties was collecting the eggs.
I had hired a pilot by the name of Terry Walsh to help during rice sowing season. Dick’s job was loading Terry. Dick was always late. Well with a new sweet young thing named Mary, there was, I guess less incentive to get out of bed in the mornings. Well one morning Terry was waiting impatiently and walking around the aeroplane looking most anxious.I goes to Terry “what be the matter Terry?”. “She used to collect his eggs”says Terry “and she’s collecting his eggs again this morning”.
Well Dick was always messing things up. Go to work and forget to take a fuel hose, or tool box or chemical, or measuring bucket etc etc.
This was happening continually so I fired him. It’s not easy doing that especially with Dick for he was a likeable fellow and honest. Everytime I needed a hand who should appear but Dick. He would help and I’d hire him again. What do you know, it was on again, off again. Happened 3 times. The last time I fired him I wrote a pretty reference for him.
He applied to a large poultry farming company for a job.They called and I gave him a good wrap up. Said I’d be sorry to see him go.They asked why was he going. I thought quickly and said I have too many loader drivers and he was the last on. A lie of course. They accepted and I told Dick he would make an excellent poultry farmer. He asked why I thought that and I told him that everyone had to be good at something. I didn’t even feel badly for what I said.
I see Dick occasionally and yes he is still in the same job and has done very well. I still find him likeable and he must find wives likeable too. He is on his third now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mr bean.jpg (16.1 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 11-01-2018 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:57 PM   #318
woofa.express

Some Mothers do have Them and Others. Mentioned in the story earlier.

I came from a line of thieves. My g.g.g. grandfather was transported for theft to Van Deeman’s Land, now known as Tasmania. Likewise so was my g.g.grandmother. After each gave 6 years labour to His Majesty they were free citizens. They and their children did well in free society.
I have been to England 3 times. A place I find depressive and with terrible weather. I’d look at the natives and praise my forebears and the magistrates that sentenced them. There but for the grace of thieves go I.
There is one thing for which I hold the English in high regard. Their humour. Only the Irish can match them. Their TV satires are priceless. Perhaps my favourite is “The Last of the Summer Wine” which ran for37 years. I purchased the DVD’s so didn’t have to endure it as long.
There really are too many humorous serials to mention here. You can get some of them on Youtube.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frank spencer.jpg (18.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg last of summer wine.jpg (13.0 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 11-01-2018 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:08 AM   #319
woofa.express

Summer 1990.Big fires.

Fires are always devastating, heart breaking and costly in losses of life, and live stock and property. This is no matter where on earth fires occur.
I always enjoyed working on fires for the pleasure it gave me in helping people. Farmers had water trailers, pumps and hoses and purpose and common sense. I knew all these fellows in my local area because I worked for most of them. I would not take payment and neither did they for their effort. They would always be grateful. Many called to say thankyou and some wrote to me. I regret not keeping those letters. I once got a statement of gratitude on the front page of the weekly times.
One summer day the atmosphere was crisp, temp high and wind high. It was clear we were in for trouble. Yes the phone rang. Help please. Jerilderie area was out of control. I sent Dennis in the tanker to load me. The wind was so strong it was difficult to control the aeroplane. It took maybe 3 minutes to take on a load. Because of the heat the fuel in the carburettor boiled and when I opened the throttle the only thing that happened was yellow flame and black smoke would flow from the exhaust. It took about 8 seconds before cool fuel would fill the carby and the engine would power up. I worked nearly all avo and made the fire manageable and the farmers were able to take control. I was pleased when it was over and I headed home. Didn’t get home. The town of Tocumwal has called and they need help. Another big fire, started by campers on the river bank opposite the town and ran down the railway next to where I now live. High winds had taken embers across the river and started many little fires and of course a little fire quickly becomes a big fire. These were too extensive for me to quell so I advised and directed the crews. There were about 25 fire engines with crews. Some had come great distances. The wind abated about dark and fires were travelling slower now. It was after 11 at night when it was under control and I departed. It actually looked spectacular in the dark.
Many thousands of sheep were lost in the Jerilderie fire which was moving about 30mph across the grass lands. Losses less at Tocumwal but some houses were burned. Irrigation channels and green crops confined the fire somewhat.
Since that time I have flown for the state fire authorities in 3 states but did not enjoy that. Bureaucracy and stupidity and egos ran those with the exception of South Australia. Priority was not always extinguishing the fire. I formed a policy on who I work for. Farmers yes, they are easy and I always feel rewarded. Government no. Just no.
An internet sourced picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fire.jpg (19.4 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 11-01-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:43 PM   #320
woofa.express

I'm going to do stories on some of the pilots, farmers, drivers and perhaps others I have known or worked with. The name White is phoney everything else is dinkum.

Rick.

Nothing stood in Rick’s way when it came to sow, protect, harvest and deliver his crop. No nothing. The Billabong Creek ran through the southern end of Rick’s property. Heavy rain had fallen in the Urana – Lockhart area and the creek was flooded and Rick new it would reach his property in a little over a fortnight and flood his cereal crop. A dozer was hired and Rick had a good size levee built. The manager of a neighbouring government research farm Mr White, endeavoured to stop Rick who disregarded the painful Mr White. Fortunately no damage to either property.

Rick was an adventurous farmer who was also share farming west of Hillston NSW. Cotton had not being grown this far south before. Rick planted. Magnificent crop, every farmer watching carefully. It became a very major crop following Ricks success and two cotton gins have been built to cater for the production.

But Rick had to deliver so he hires a grader and rejuvenates the farm tracks but doesn’tstop there. He graded them all the way to town. The shire was hostile but it fell on dear ears. Rick appeared contemptuous. That wasn’t his intention but his manner. He mumbles and is not really a good communicator.
A couple of years back I invited the four best growers I knew to a private luncheon simply to acknowledge their work and skill and gave them each a letter to say just that. Well no one had ever acknowledged or honoured Rick before and he took his letter to town and had it framed.

Isn’t it great to recognise a person for their strength and determination. It can give their self esteem aconsiderable lift. I was so pleased with what I had done.