Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 10:56 PM   #1
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Default Closing statement

The Ford Barn is a great site. It's original intent was to help those that may not be very knowledgeable when it come to the "how to" type of questions.

Like many other Forums, it became dominated by a small group of participants that think they are God's gift to Model A knowledge. Because of that egotistical mindset, they think that a simple question by someone that really doesn't know the answer, is a dumb ass. And, will sometimes tell you so.

This egotistical group thrives on the art of "bashing" either be it subtly or just plain outright. And you better talk "their language!" What if you don't know how?

Many times, these "experts" will scan over a post; make premature judgments and then post their opines, many times not really understanding
the Poster's original intent. Many will not ask for clarification. Some will.

Because of this, many newcomers are reluctant to post for fear of being ridiculed. Oh, yes.. happens a lot. New posters are pretty rare.

Recently, for various reasons I have become the Ford Barn "whipping boy."

No more. You won.

Another observation: Go to Ahooga. They are lucky to get one or two posts a week! Why? Same thing happened there as is happening here.

Dominators: Go look in the mirror. You know who you are..

Many thanks to those whom I have made friends with and a special thanks for all the encouraging PMs concerning this subject.

-30-
Old 02-16-2016, 11:22 PM   #2
zzlegend

Default Re: Closing statement

Just my 2 cents, that really don't mean much. I don't post much any more but that's my choice. A few to many wanna be experts and some times their advise can be mis leading. I lurk more now and there is a lot of good information from some people that help others on their projects. You just have to learn who has helpful information and who is questionable. I am pretty much self taught and have been for almost 70 years. At your age there is no need to get the BP up and stroke out. I would recommend you find some other Model A Owners near you and see if they can lend a hand. Hands on advise from others can some times be a good thing. Or lurk here for a while and read what others post and see if it pertains to your problem. Also use the search button if you can. I still have trouble with that one. Just hate to see some one get disgusted and give up on there project. Stay focused. Life is to short. Good luck with your A.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:27 PM   #3
SAJ

HI Larry, I hope you will reconsider. All sorts of people post here. Some are very knowledgeable about Model A's, some are beginners like I was (might still be for all I know!!), some seek knowledge and some wish to impart it without knowing what they are talking about.
Some are really nice helpful people and some are probably wife-beaters, murderers and might even pick their noses when no one is looking.
One cannot tell from a forum like this.
The point is it would be a great shame to resign because someone else has a personality problem when you have valid questions to ask and might choose the wrong words once in a while.
No one else has more right to post than you do; no one else (except the moderators and Ryan) has any rights to castigate others for posts they don't like; no one else should be able to make you give up the pleasure of posts both you and I and I am sure many others enjoy.
I think by some of you replies that you are made of stern stuff, and sincerely ask you to keep posting.
I write posts that get no replies (meaning people did not get any value from them, I guess) and I have been answered brusquely with "it's a model A get used to it" which is not helpful. But I simply note these people down as members with personality problems and carry on enjoying both the social and learning interchanges that this forum gives to our hobby.
Keep posting Larry. I will keep enjoying them and learning from your questions, advice and replies.
SAJ in NZ

Last edited by SAJ; 02-16-2016 at 11:31 PM. Reason: stupid spell chequer!
Old 02-16-2016, 11:37 PM   #4
bbrocksr

Hey Larry , Just use the " Ignore " function on the wanna be experts.
Bill
Old 02-16-2016, 11:42 PM   #5
Gary WA

I will be glad to help in any way to you and others. i respect all advice given here-dosen't matter who replies or asks a questions-I've never met in person many ford barners except at Model A Meets.So I don't care what people say about my answers or questions,so for you ,keep on posting! or email me at [email protected] for help.I try to research my answers prior to answering so you don't get shot down,.But to old to worry about that. Stay On Ford Barn! Waiting for your next question!!??
Old 02-16-2016, 11:46 PM   #6
clocey

There are a lot of adult children who have nothing better to do then bully others due to their ignorance. Just ignore the fools and hopefully you will stick around and take advantage of those of us who care about others and want to help.
Curt
Old 02-16-2016, 11:53 PM   #7
SAJ

Oops I just read the engine installation post that was below this topic on my tablet but seems to relate to your resignation. I was not referring to anyone in particular in that engine installation post, since I had not seen it before I posted the above.
Just shows how easy it can be to be misconstrued.
SAJ in NZ
Old 02-17-2016, 12:22 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

.........." Also use the search button if you can. I still have trouble with that one."............

I also have trouble using the search feature. I can't even find my own posts a lot of times. Usually when I use the SEARCH it's because I'm looking for a picture. Recently I started using the phrase "here's a picture of..........", thinking that might make it easier to find the post with the picture I want. Now I will use search with the words "picture of" included with the name of the item I want to find.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:27 AM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I've said this before; sometimes there are more than one correct answer to a question and sometimes there are no answers to a question.

Sometimes, when an answer conflicts with long held beliefs, someone is insulted.
Another problem inherent in forums is the reading in between the lines. When the reader does not fully understand the question and wants to help he will sometimes read in between the lines trying to find something he can help with and again the original poster may feel "why can't he just answer my original question".

There are several important things here; the quest for an answer and the quest to supply the answer. Sometimes these things seem to be different.

Precise questions with details is very important. The understanding from the author that while the question is clear in your head, it may not be in the readers so take a breath and re-word your question if you have to, if there is an answer it's out there waiting for the right person to read it and answer you.

If anyone actually called you a dumb ass a simple report to the admin will take care of that right away.

Folks, if you are not getting the answers you expected it is possible that your question is being read differently then you expected.

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 02-17-2016 at 12:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-17-2016, 12:31 AM   #10
jax55

Larry, I guess I , been am a lurker for lack of a better term. I am new to Model A's and have learned quite a bit by doing and asking questions on the Barn.
I am not new to wrenching been doing it for many years... just not on A's. There are
things that I just don't want to get into without having a little input from someone who "knows" about it.
I understand that some of the responses are not always helpful, and I ignore them as best I can.
I would hate to see you back away over some peoples idea of being helpful
And by the way, why I think I am a lurker is because I only respond to things I either have experienced or think I understand well enough to give input. I read almost all questions and answers.... to learn more.
I understand how hurtful it can be to ask a question and be labeled or treated like a "dumb ass"
Old 02-17-2016, 12:34 AM   #11
jax55

Good point Mike!! Well said.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:05 AM   #12
1930marie

Larry, please consider getting a good nights sleep and tomorrow re-evaluating all the nice comments about you on this thread. There are many terrific people here on the Barn who are always at your service to answer questions and it looks like one has even volunteered to help with your engine install! Lucky you! My major professor made us write compositions until our hands cramped and I still noticed many of us including myself never mastered "the tone" of writing. I often see that here on the Barn and I guess it puts a smile on my face knowing many others dont have a clue to their tone of writing. Easy enough, when I see their "handle" - I skip it. There are too many terrific people, mechanics, model A'ers, who are "good with the prose" Stick around Larry, you can pick and choose what you want from FordBarn! Youre the Boss!
Old 02-17-2016, 01:14 AM   #13
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Larry,

FWIW: Don't feel too bad.

All of my very best friends are really so stupid.

My lawyer asked me one time how to fix his lawn mower; my personal physician asked me how to repair a leak in his office roof; my dentist asked me to find a leak in his wall; my accountant asked me where to go fishing ....... wall to wall dummies.

In life, I never would have made it this far without all these dummies .... and to think, none can even adjust a simple GAV valve on a Model A Ford.

All of them live in mansions .... even surgeons I met in hospital are so stupid .... they never even heard of a 3X spark plug or a Model A spark control lever.

If one of these guys has a question for this Forum, how do we even begin to answer such stupid people.

Hope this makes you feel a little better .... just tried. LOL
Old 02-17-2016, 01:25 AM   #14
tbirdtbird
BANNED

this is all bizarre given that Mitch is one of the most patient and helpful posters we have

i also think that some posters think the Barn is more of a social media than it actually is
Old 02-17-2016, 02:09 AM   #15
Synchro909

Gotta have a thick hide these days. I've been slammed on this forum before. In all but one occasion, a PM to the slammer straightened things out. Larry, Don't take it to heart - it's not worth raising a sweat over, IMHO.
Who was it said "Don't sweat the petty things (and don't pet the sweaty things)
Old 02-17-2016, 05:38 AM   #16
JohnB15632

I am so in Larry's corner!! I totally understand where he is coming from. I posted a statement sometime back and got crucified!!!! I too and now super careful when and if I post something.

I am now going somewhere else for the information that I need. I do not trust Ford Barn.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:21 AM   #17
jimalabam

Being a lurker most of the time, when I do post; I remember my Mother's good advice, IF YOU CAN'T SAY SOMETHING GOOD, DON'T SAY ANYTHING. Also, there are NO Model A Ford Experts, and the ones who have LEARNED a lot, try to pass on the information. Jim Langley...
Old 02-17-2016, 07:05 AM   #18
Ryan
Administrator

Use he report book fellas. That's what it is there for.

Larry, could you send me a pm with the usernames of the folks bothering you? I'll look into it.
Closed Thread