Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-27-2020, 09:24 AM   #1
Conaway2

Default Firewall Insulation

Looking online, I see a number of insulating and sound barrier materials are available.

Can anyone recommend a product that would work well on the firewall under the gas tank ?

Thanks - Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:26 AM   #2
duke36

Default Re: Firewall Insulation

My car has the plastic black insulated cover mounted inside by prior owner. It appears to have more temp. insulating qualities than sound. It limits easy access to the indented firewall fuel port and a few other areas screws, etc., and fits and looks OK unpainted.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:29 AM   #3
Jim/GA

Get the hard molded insulator panel. It looks really good when you are done. There are also "holes" (passages) in the body that let hot air up into the cowl kickpanel areas that you will want to seal. Use a bright light under the hood to find them. And seal around the column and pedals as best you can to keep hot air out.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:32 PM   #4
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/GA View Post
Get the hard molded insulator panel. It looks really good when you are done. There are also "holes" (passages) in the body that let hot air up into the cowl kickpanel areas that you will want to seal. Use a bright light under the hood to find them.
Jim, what would you recommend using to insulate in the kick panel areas? I have the firewall insulator and jute fiber under the carpet.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:39 PM   #5
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
Jim, what would you recommend using to insulate in the kick panel areas? I have the firewall insulator and jute fiber under the carpet.
It depends a bit on the body style, but remove the kick panels and look for all places where hot air comes up into the kick panel area from under the hood. The gaps are quite large on my phaeton and you can really see them with the kick panels off. You have to seal these off. I forced large blocks of foam into the gaps to seal them. You can't see them from under the car.

Use a light under the hood, under the car body, in a dark building to look for light leaks inside the car. These are hot air leaks.

Then, between the metal body and the inside kick panel, use whatever thermal insulation you like. I put a layer of Dynamat on the metal for a bit of sound deadening, followed by a piece of fiberglass batting cut to fit.

Old 07-03-2020, 09:36 AM   #6
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/GA View Post
It depends a bit on the body style, but remove the kick panels and look for all places where hot air comes up into the kick panel area from under the hood. The gaps are quite large on my phaeton and you can really see them with the kick panels off. You have to seal these off. I forced large blocks of foam into the gaps to seal them. You can't see them from under the car.

Use a light under the hood, under the car body, in a dark building to look for light leaks inside the car. These are hot air leaks.

Then, between the metal body and the inside kick panel, use whatever thermal insulation you like. I put a layer of Dynamat on the metal for a bit of sound deadening, followed by a piece of fiberglass batting cut to fit.

Any down side to sealing the leaks/holes with judicious (minimal) use of spray foam before adding foam blocks and insulation/sound deadening?? Do rodents like the spray foam, and other reasons?
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:05 PM   #7
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Any down side to sealing the leaks/holes with judicious (minimal) use of spray foam before adding foam blocks and insulation/sound deadening?? Do rodents like the spray foam, and other reasons?
IDK about rodents. I know that spray foam is hard to remove in the future if you need to.

I have had things shipped to me where they sprayed the foam inside a plastic bag pressed in between the item and the box. That contains the foam in the bag, so it does not stick to the item, but provides the desired cushion. Something like that might work. Then the foam would conform to the space but not stick to everything.

I have not tried that.

Old 06-27-2020, 11:42 AM   #8
Conaway2

How does the molded panel attach to the firewall ?
Old 06-27-2020, 11:52 AM   #9
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conaway2 View Post
How does the molded panel attach to the firewall ?
They give you longer versions of all of the screws that go into the firewall from the inside. You replace existing with longer ones through panel. I also put longer screws in mine going from the engine side, then put nut/washer on them inside. They also have small brackets in the upper left/right corners that hold those corners in.

It's pretty stiff molded plastic, so it does not take a lot to keep it up there.

Old 06-27-2020, 11:55 AM   #10
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

I have the Quiet Ride firewall insulator on my Coupe. It is an exact mold of the inside of the firewall. It uses a few screws to attach. It also comes with an adhesive if you want to use it. I did not and the insulator stays in place. It is black in color, however, they also sell a brown paint for the insulator should you want to change the color. It certainly reduces the amount of heat transmitted through the firewall and it also deadens the engine noise. I live in an area where it is commonly 100 degrees in the summer. The insulator really makes driving my A much more enjoyable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QUITE RIDE FIREWALL INS.jpg (57.8 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by Dick M; 06-27-2020 at 12:01 PM.
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:41 PM   #11
Conaway2

Jim/GA, Dick M - thanks for the information. I’ve ordered an insulator panel...the SC Lowcountry summer is uncomfortably warm in my Model A.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:38 PM   #12
Conaway2

Wow ! I should have installed the firewall insulation panel long ago. What a difference ! I think 75% of the heat is gone, and it’s noticeably quieter inside the car as well. I still have some heat coming from the lower cowl panel area, but have an insulation kit from quietride.com ordered.

Thanks for all the advice !
Jim