Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #1
gnormoyle

Default Brassworks Radiator

We drove over to the Brassworks factory in Paso Robles on Monday to pick up a new radiator for my 29 open cab PU. Got it installed and just came back from a test run. It is a typical Fresno summer day, 85F. The highest water temp for the Ford was 150F (according to the temp gauge). Before, with the old radiator, the temp would run 190-200F and I could not sustain a 10 minute run at 45mph without the temp going over 212F.

We took the old grill shell over to be sure of a fit, but I got the whole thing installed without any significant fit issues. They also do the overflow tube according to the Ford Service Bulletin, so no more roofing nail in the tube. In addition, they also have the hood rest on the side of the radiator like the originals.

I bought the higher efficiency radiator as opposed to the exact replica, it was less expensive($595) and I couldn't be happier with the cooling capability. This radiator runs at least 40 degrees cooler than with the old one.
gnormoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #2
inex01

Default Re: Brassworks Radiator

I also installed a Brassworks in my 31 Sedan a couple of years ago and around here here 80s to mid 90s are the norm during the summer, the car has a 160 thermostat and has never overheated, before I installed the radiator she was constantly running hot.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #3
Roadster62

Did you just get lucky or did they have your original to determine were the lower hose outlet goes. They told us there are SEVEN different factory options, after the first didn't line up. Bob
Old 08-06-2014, 05:37 PM   #4
neds29

I bought a Brassworks pressurized radiator last year for my '29 CCPU. The top hose didn't align with the motor. After some analysis I realized that the motor fitting was for a '30-'31, so I swapped it out for the proper one and the fit was perfect! I'm very pleased with the radiator, it's well made and fits and works great. Ned
'29 roadster- Owned for 21 years but now sold.
'28 CC pickup- My first car in Andover, MA back in '62- '63.
neds29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:50 PM   #5
crock

I purchased a brass works radiator for my 28 coupe. After a run it shows 185
with a heat gun about 1/3 down the rad.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #6
19ED30

I have one on order, @ first I was going to get a Berg's Radiator,but he doe's not do a 30-31 AV8 radiator . So after search's between BrassWorks & Walker Radiator (both have good & bad Feed back ,walker seem to have a little more bad feed back .I desited to go with BrassWorks (3,000 miles away ) walker 600 ) because I wanted to use my Original 30 shell
& I asked for all the Original clip & other detail . I also went with the extra core.
A 6 week wait ,I hope it's well worth the wait & $$$
19ED30 is offline   Reply With Quote