Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #41
34Pietenpol

Default Re: 1931 Mail Truck Adventure

Thanks for chiming in, you're now part of this journey. One asked what my back-up crew had to do on the trip. Curious myself, I asked Steve. His answer: "I sync'd my iPhone with the radio's Bluetooth, opened the Pandora App and grooved to the songs its AI algorithms determined were my favorites." Stunned, I could only reply, "It's a good thing Mother has gone or you'd get the strap for talking like that!" Steve assured me that he was on the safe side.

He asked what I was tuned to as we ran headlong down the mountains. I was A Capella when music entered my thoughts, most memorably Alison Kraus calling on her band of angels. Sliding thru a couple of tuck and run curves I did recall the words from "Nearer my God to Thee", possibly "Ave Maria", the version with Scottish bagpipes wailing. Other than that, we both were simply holding on, the Mail Truck and I. Never missed the radio.

A good story is entertaining. A great story teaches us a lesson. The lesson here is that we can and should grab every opportunity to blast around the neighborhoods and the back roads in our old cars. It is good for both our souls - human and machine. If you are inspired to follow a dream such as this - I welcome you to a wonderful life! Cheers! Bob C
34Pietenpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:58 PM   #42
rfitzpatrick

The reason I asked about your Back-Up -- I have my 60th year high-school reunion about 1,100 miles from my Home in Florida -- June 2020. To round-trip trailer is 3K. At my age (77) - this will be my last reunion -- we have them every 5 years. Just wondering what I would like to do about that. There was 13 in my grad. class of 1960
Thanks for being invited along your experience
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-11-2019, 08:52 AM   #43
Mike Peters

Thank you Mr. Pietenpol for inviting us along on your maiden voyage! We all enjoyed your company and wonderful mail truck. And so glad you made it back home without serious mishaps. mike
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:26 AM   #44
34Pietenpol

Regarding the steering issue, that’s probably top priority for this winter. Our local Model A engine man is coming up with his stethoscope to pinpoint the rattle. Another winter fix.

About the high school reunion. I wish I knew you well enough to accurately advise you. I can only speak from my somewhat off-kilter point of view. Heck yes, start early, drive the 2- lane blacktop, stop often, take pictures, make memories. Divert off track to neat sights you’ve missed seeing. Your 2000 mile round trip is not hard on a Model A that is in good condition and driven by a caring owner. Physically it is tiring but not a problem if you pay attention and stop before you outrun yourself.

All that said, here’s my opinion. It may be your last reunion or not. That gathering doesn’t matter much really. The journey in your Model A is what will leave lasting memories, a lot more than eating and drinking in a room of really old people who often still remember what a crazy knucklehead you were way back when. Go for the journey. If you make it to the reunion, take your old girlfriends for rides. Prove to them how wrong they were to dump you right before the big dance. If you break down along the way there are a few options. My plan on my adventure was to go for broke, rent a U-haul truck and car hauler if our luck ran out. I was coming back home driving or dragging either way. Fortune smiled and Mail Truck and I came home under power and flags waving. Or tow to a gas station, go online and schedule pick up and delivery with one of the dozens of independent car haulers. Booming cottage industry, that. Probably run you $600 for a thousand miles. My guesstimate.

If you have a crazy friend, take him/her along. Talking is difficult with all the noise but the trip is more fun. And you can always leave them at the Greyhound station if they start whining. Try to avoid a thoughtful, analytical, deep-thinking companion. That’s asking for trouble. Take the happy soul who volunteers at the first hint of adventure. You know they’re nuts and you’ll get along fine rattling down the road at 40 mph. More the better if they can double clutch.

77 isn’t old if you’re not. I know 57’s who are dying in front of their TV while my Dad is 94 and golfs twice a week. Roll out your A and start down the road. Whether you make 2000 miles or 200, you know you’ve done something unique, challenging and awesome. Doing it with gray hair just adds to it.

Disclaimer: personal opinions expressed and not endorsed by certain professionals in white frocks.

Last edited by 34Pietenpol; 04-15-2019 at 06:40 AM.
34Pietenpol is offline   Reply With Quote