Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Drip less Water Pumps

I'm looking for feedback on the drip less water pumps that the vendors are selling, Are they as good as the packing pumps ? do they put out as much or more GPM ? and do they seem to hold up ? Thanks for your help I'm kinda new to this Model T stuff LOL

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: Drip less Water Pumps

No SUCH THING!!! they all will leak eventually. What do you want a water pump for anyway the T was not designed for one . You just need a good radiator.

<ul>[*]Golding's T Parts[/list]

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

WoW what a statement Mark, &quot;All you need is a good radiator&quot; I may not be an expert On the Model T , but I can tell you in order for a radiator to do its job it needs to have air and coolant to flow thru it. If you have some special type of radiator that does not need coolant to be pumped thru it to get the hot coolant out of the engine then you could be making alot of money off your ideas.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

You need a radiator AND coolant..and under normal conditions if both are in good shape a pump is not needed. However, every car is different and most radiators are not in new shape, so sometimes a pump may help. I have one on my car..don't know if I need it or not..it has always been there..and I have never had an overheat. Some feel the pumps are totally worthless. It is one of those things which each driver must decide on his own. Also, while I would love a new radiator, they are a $600.00 item so one does not lightly replace them.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

He is correct, if your block/head is clean and the radiator is up to snuff the pump is not needed on a black era car. This also assumes the fan is in good shape and the belt is not slipping so as to pull sufficient air through the radiator when forward speed isn't up to the task. The coolant will circulate without the pump. Farmall tractors (the smaller ones) didn't use a pump either and they worked many an hour in the feild without one.

The problem is that most original radiators today have been subjected to a few too many thermal cycles and the fin to tube contact is not good enough to transfer heat at a pace fast enough to prevent the thing from boiling. A new flat tube radiator (or a recore) and a clean block and you would be hard pressed to get the temp to the middle of the moto meter.

I may catch flack on this but my feelings are in line with Marks, a waterpump is like cough syrup. It may reduce the symptoms but you still have a cold.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #6

i see people are mentioning &quot;coolant&quot; on these follw-up answers. you can not use coolant I.E. antifreeze. this will raise your boiling point, giving you a hotter running engine, before the coolant circulates. be sure to use water only so the fluid will circulate at the proper temperatures, that is why it is called a thermosphin cooling system. using just water can cause corrision in the engine thus clogging the radiator. i use water with about 6oz water soluable oil to prevent corrision. i have never run a water pump.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #7

Jay, I guess I had better run right out there and drain the 50% anti freeze 50% water out of all my Model T's that has been in them. One has had antifreeze in it for the 29 yrs that I have had it. Another one 7yrs and so on. I wonder where you got that story. Wolf !!

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #8

wolf i got that story from experience, driving around in the desert in 120 weather. iused to run antifreez until i cracked my engine block do to overheating the engine.if you read the back of the bottle of antifreez you will see that it raises the boiling point depending on the ratio of water to antifreez. i live in the desert at below sea level. and never have overheated again.