Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-05-2023, 02:35 PM   #1
History

Default Rear Spring available

I’m in need of a rear spring for 1930 sport coupe. I changed the front and now the car is squatted in the back so I’ll assume the spring is worn out. I couldn’t find anyone to heat treat the old front and was lucky enough that someone on here directed me to a fellow in Connecticut, unfortunately I am unable to contact him again. Snyders doesn’t have them, who does? Thanks
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:38 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Rear Spring available

Try Eaton Detroit Spring in MI.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:39 PM   #3
J Franklin

Try Eaton Detroit Spring.
Old 06-05-2023, 03:13 PM   #4
History

Forgot about them, thanks!
Old 06-05-2023, 05:33 PM   #5
Bob from Northport

I have a brand new one in my shop in northern Michigan I will be in N. Carolina in late September-Greensboro and Asheville.. Let me know
Old 06-05-2023, 05:37 PM   #6
ModelA29

Were were different numbers of leafs in the rear on various body styles? Maybe you can find a leaf or two local to rebuild yours.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 05:58 PM   #7
ronn

does the sport coupe take 7?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 08:50 PM   #8
History

I’ll have to count and see what mine has.
Old 06-06-2023, 02:28 AM   #9
Randy in ca

Coupes use an 8 leaf rear spring.

They're about $550 at Eaton Detroit now.
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 03:45 AM   #10
Marshall V. Daut

Before you spend $550 plus expensive shipping for a new spring, remove your old spring, carefully disassemble it and examine each leaf. Look for cracked or broken leaves, concentrating especially around the center bolt holes. That's usually where the spring leaves break. I have never seen a rear spring that wasn't savable by replacing one or two broken or fatigued leaves. The bottom four leaves take the most punishment, so the upper ones generally escape the need to be replaced. That's half the battle won right there! If you had a heavy sedan that had seen tortuous old country road use or had been used to carry heavy loads such as wood or coal or even junk metal, I could see the possible need to replace the fatigued rear spring. Unless your Sport Coupe suffered a similar fate and its rumble seat area carried heavy weight year after year, you may be able to save the bulk of the spring and only replace one or two leaves, easily saving you hundreds of dollars. Anyone with a stash of Model A parts probably has loose rear spring leaves lying around and could sell you what you need. Bert's Model A Center probably has hundreds of such loose leaves in storage. Or Sammy Guthrie at Arizona Model A in the Phoenix area. Readers here may be able to supply needed leaves, too.
Since you must remove the spring anyway to replace it, why not try to save it before ordering a new one? You might only need to replace one or two leaves. This would be a good opportunity to replace the bushings in the spring eyes and the perches (four total). If the shackles are worn, that could also result in a sagging rear end.
Once disassembled, concentrate on the bottom two or three leaves. Measure the distance from tip to tip and write that down. Put each leaf in a sturdy bench vise, centering them at the bolt hole in the middle. With one or two BIG boys helping, pull the end of the spring downwards to bend it. Remove the spring leaf and up end it in the vise so that the other side can be similarly pulled. Remove and measure again. Keep doing this until you have shortened the tip-to-tip distance two inches or so. Once the bottom four leaves have been similarly re-arched COLD, bevel the bottom tips at a 45 degree angle and grind out any indentations on top of the leaves caused by the leaves above digging in. Spray or brush on Slip-Plate, Lubriplate or a similar graphite base paste and re-assemble the spring with a NEW center bolt. Install the clamps. Once assembled, use a big C-clamp to protect against the spring leaves separating as you use a dedicated rear spring spreader to open up the spring for mounting on the rear axle. Or some guys like to install the rear spring in the crossmember and then lift the rear end up with a floor jack to attach it to the spring. Either way will work.
If you do all these things, you may be able to re-use most if not all of your old rear spring leaves, besides lubing them. And best of all, you have saved yourself several hundred dollars, as well as earned the satisfaction of making the repair yourself.
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 06-06-2023 at 08:16 AM. Reason: photos added
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 03:57 AM   #11
Oldbluoval

Disassembling a rear spring can be dangerous! Best have plenty of restraints to ease it apart.
Be careful
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 06:01 AM   #12
ronn

Oldblue is correct. You can wrap it with a chain and wear shop glasses.

I have sold rear springs on CL. They are often obtainable locally for around 75.

and yes, they are often in good shape as well.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 08:13 AM   #13
Marshall V. Daut

Although these "before" and "after" photos show front spring leaves, this is what your rear spring leaves will undoubtedly look like on their tops from years of being gouged by upper leaves. These gouges must be ground away so that the leaves can slide back and forth on top of each other to create a springing action. When the leaves are damaged like this and rusted together from lack of lubrication, the springing action is severely compromised. I have yet to disassemble an unrestored Model A, whose front and rear spring leaves were NOT like this. Almost a 100% guarantee that they'll be damaged as pictured. I have also encountered this condition in so-called "restored" Model A's that had beautiful paint jobs, authentic interiors and every chrome goodie known to guilty man, but drove like Sherman tanks because details like repairing the front and rear springs had been ignored. Beveling the spring leaf tips on their undersides will prevent this gouging from happening again.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 08:50 AM   #14
updraught

If you can flip the spring inside out, you can put an extra bit of a curve in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK_c--IV7MY
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 09:07 AM   #15
DJ S

If I’m not mistaken, Eaton spring has an MOQ and long lead time.

Reach out to Tebobarn, I know he has some sedan springs (New from Eaton) which can be reduced from a 10 leaf spring to an 8 lead spring.

(603) 652-8609
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 10:26 AM   #16
Brokenvette

I just finished my front and rear. Thought I needed new springs. Took them apart . Media blasted them. Cleaned up any gouges with a flap wheel. Painted with graphite impregnated paint. Amazing how they returned to their original arc. Rust had almost stuck them together. Required a lot more force on my compressor to install than removing. Might work for you . Worth the try anyway...
Brokenvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 10:28 AM   #17
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ S View Post
If I’m not mistaken, Eaton spring has an MOQ and long lead time.

Reach out to Tebobarn, I know he has some sedan springs (New from Eaton) which can be reduced from a 10 leaf spring to an 8 lead
If you are not in a rush, it might be best to wait for the correct spring configuration from Eaton.