Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2023, 03:04 PM   #1
The Geezer

Default New Radiator Opinions

Hi all,
My 31 Sport Coupe radiator is "CA-CA"... ("going down the tubes"... pun intended)! Hopefully I'm not opening a can of worms again. I am leaning toward a new radiator since a recore on my existing one is almost as expensive and possibly "iffy". My specific question is what good experience have you had regarding brands/vendors? How many fins and tubes, etc.
There are so many options out there that make this decision hard, so I am looking for sound advice via experience. Thanks to all who take the time to help us "tenderfoots!"
Old 05-30-2023, 03:27 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: New Radiator Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geezer View Post
Hi all,
My 31 Sport Coupe radiator is "CA-CA"... ("going down the tubes"... pun intended)! Hopefully I'm not opening a can of worms again. I am leaning toward a new radiator since a recore on my existing one is almost as expensive and possibly "iffy". My specific question is what good experience have you had regarding brands/vendors? How many fins and tubes, etc.
There are so many options out there that make this decision hard, so I am looking for sound advice via experience. Thanks to all who take the time to help us "tenderfoots!"
Just curious, what are thinking are your options?

From my experiences, the best cooling radiator for the 30/31 is the dimpled-fin radiator that is a copy of the original radiator. To my knowledge, this is a Brassworks proprietarily-manufactured piece. All vendors that are selling that style of radiator are selling one of Lee's radiators. Lee also offers a Heavy-Duty radiator however I do not think they cool as efficiently. Both radiators will however, more than adequately cool a properly restored Model-A engine. Back to this options thing though, if you have two different radiators in mind and you have questions on how the two compare to one another, feel free to list each one specifically and I/we will tell you our opinions based on experiences. Does that help??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 03:49 PM   #3
The Geezer

Hi Brent,
My only option as I see it is having the one in my A recored, rodded, etc IF I can find a radiator service near here in central Florida and IF it would solve my radiators tendency to nudge overheating. I really lean toward a new drop-in radiator. I wanted to hear from experience and expertice before I make a decision as to "who and what".
Thanks for the reply! The Geezer
Old 05-30-2023, 04:43 PM   #4
JayJay

Geezer - I have a Snyders Heavy Duty A-8005-BHD, 8 fins/in, 95 tubes in my '30 Town Sedan (currently being restored). I use it in California, including the Central Valley where it gets over 100F in the summer, and it works fine (don't have a temp gage on that car, so I can't tell you exactly how fine) - engine 0.040" overbored but otherwise stock. At the time I bought it 2+ years ago Brassworks had a very long lead time (they're specifying 3 weeks for Model A radiators right now, it was way longer then), and the price differential between Brassworks and Snyders is not nearly as pronounced as it was when I got mine. I knew at one time who made the radiators for Snyders but I've lost that reference.

In my '31 Town Sedan I have a long-ago local recore of unknown spec, but it also works fine, haven't seen the temp get over ~190F even when climbing in the heat.

Word to the wise - in my experience it's getting harder to find people who know how to work on old-school brass radiators. So if you elect to go the recore route be sure your shop has someone who knows how to work on them. And be sure they put in the three little brass strips along the bottom of the radiator to hold your wiring harness as it passes from the left side to the right side (for the headlight).

If you want an excellent radiator you can't go wrong with Brassworks (shameless plug for a California vendor - in a lovely part of the state, the Central Coast), as Brent suggests. Since you're currently in operation and apparently not leaking you could likely tolerate a bit of lead time, too. They're great folks, they recently donated a radiator as an auction prize to a local MAFCA event.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 04:56 PM   #5
ursus

I agree with JayJay in Post #4 - it seems like the shops that rod out and recore our old radiators are quickly disappearing, much like the guys that know how to pour babbitt. I wonder if anybody has done a YouTube video on the process? It is a messy business but shouldn't require much in the way of precision or expensive equipment.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 05:21 PM   #6
dansluck

Send a message via AIM to dansluck Send a message via Yahoo to dansluck

Geezer
I drove from Nevada across the Sierras and across the Central Valley t the Bay Area in 94 degree weather and did not overheat. Brassworks Radiatior.

Dan
dansluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 05:30 PM   #7
Marshall V. Daut

Well, I can recommend what NOT to buy. From personal experience helping a local guy get his Model A on the road, AVOID repo aluminum radiators! The silver core and fin pattern look odd in a Model A and the fit is terrible. The owner couldn't make his original shell fit the aluminum radiator he had bought on-line because it was considerably cheaper than a quality Brassworks radiator. He also couldn't get the radiator cap to seat. The filler neck was misplaced on the upper tank and wasn't tall enough to clear the shell. The radiator stayrod brackets broke off when he tightened the nuts. The angle of the upper radiator neck was incorrect and made it difficult to install the upper hose. The hose had a noticeable kink in it and could not be made to seal.
Other than these problems, everything about the aluminum radiator was fine. In this life, you get what you pay for. The owner finally had enough and dumped the aluminum radiator. He bit the bullet and ordered a quality radiator from Snyder's. It fits pretty well, although the brackets for the radiator shell mounting had to be tweaked and the holes drilled a little larger in order to insert the bolts. Save up your money, buy a Brassworks radiator and your cooling problems will go away, assuming everything else in the cooling and brake systems is up to snuff and the engine block cooling passageways are not clogged.
Marshall
ADDED: 'Just to be clear, my comment about the brakes being "up to snuff" references their adjustment. If they are adjusted too tightly, the engine will have to work harder to propel the car down the road. That usually translates to an overheated engine, as well as prematurely worn brake shoe linings.

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 05-30-2023 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Updated information
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 05:59 PM   #8
The Geezer

Thanks to all of you who gave me your opinions. I totally agree that to recore is at best a gamble, so you all have reinforced my hesitation to go that route. So, sounds like Brassworks has straightened out it's QC problems, so due to everyone's experience, I will no doubt go with them. Thanks again to all..."The Barners Rock Again"
The Geezer
Old 05-30-2023, 06:05 PM   #9
ModelA29

My car came from CA Central Valley. It has a Brassworks pressure radiator and a (yuck) 7 blade plastic fan. Here in SoCal it runs 160 all the time putting in a parade, around town or on the freeway at 65-70 mph (yes good motor, OD and radials)
Check with Brassworks on fixing/restoring what you have.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 07:02 PM   #10
Synchro909

A few years ago, I fitted a Brassworks radiator. It has failed twice since. First time was a split in he bottom tanks, second was soooo much rust in the steel "cradle" that goes under it that the bottom tank was again compromised. The steel hadn't been tinned, allowing the rust to get going under there. I had it repaired each time at the same radiator shop and now, I'm hoping (again) that I might get a decent life out of it. The repairs have cost me at least as much as the radiator itself did originally.
During discussions with Brassworks, they said that they don't make radiators - they only recore originals.
If I ever need another radiator, I'll have my own recored locally.
Old 05-31-2023, 09:57 AM   #11
katy

Here's a video showing how to do it yourself:
https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/...ator-gif-96776
Old 06-01-2023, 10:48 PM   #12
CWPASADENA

Smile Re: New Radiator Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Geezer

If you want an excellent radiator you can't go wrong with Brassworks (shameless plug for a California vendor - in a lovely part of the state, the Central Coast), as Brent suggests. Since you're currently in operation and apparently not leaking you could likely tolerate a bit of lead time, too. They're great folks, they recently donated a radiator as an auction prize to a local MAFCA event.

JayJay
I agree that Brassworks makes a good radiator and is a good outfit to deal with.

I also appreciate their generosity for donating a new radiator as an auction prize to a local MAFCA event. I was the lucky person who won it!

Thanks Brassworks!!!

Chris W.

Last edited by CWPASADENA; 06-01-2023 at 10:49 PM. Reason: TYPO
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:58 PM   #13
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPASADENA View Post
I agree that Brassworks makes a good radiator and is a good outfit to deal with.

I also appreciate their generosity for donating a new radiator as an auction prize to a local MAFCA event. I was the lucky person who won it!

Thanks Brassworks!!!

Chris W.
They gave one away a the recent CCRG Jamboree in Santa maria also.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 12:48 AM   #14
lrf

I had a radiator recored using original tanks. Used a 12 fin, three row and the motor runs about 175 degrees so I added a 160 thermostat to warm it up faster. It was recored at Gardena Radiator here in So Cal. I'm very happy with their work.
lrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 05:03 AM   #15
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geezer View Post
Hi Brent,
My only option as I see it is having the one in my A recored, rodded, etc IF I can find a radiator service near here in central Florida and IF it would solve my radiators tendency to nudge overheating. I really lean toward a new drop-in radiator. I wanted to hear from experience and expertice before I make a decision as to "who and what".
Thanks for the reply! The Geezer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
I agree with JayJay in Post #4 - it seems like the shops that rod out and recore our old radiators are quickly disappearing, much like the guys that know how to pour babbitt. I wonder if anybody has done a YouTube video on the process? It is a messy business but shouldn't require much in the way of precision or expensive equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
If I ever need another radiator, I'll have my own recored locally.

You all seem to speak of purchasing a core and then doing the work yourself. I think that is all fine, well, & good ...with the minor issue of where do you purchase this new core? If we care to discuss this further, maybe first check into the reason why Gery closed Berg's Radiators who was the other supplier of radiators?? I seem to recall that Gery's supplier went out of business. Lee manufacturers his own cores for his own radiators. Is Independent Radiator still in business, -and if so will they sell just a core?

As for the YouTube instructional video, from my perspective I believe you failed to mention the most important need in radiator restoration which is 'talent'. We have done some radiator leak repairs here at the shop with what I would call decent results however the key to success from my vantage point is practice and experience. The company where we purchase some of our babbitt supplies also sells radiator repair tools if you want to give it a try. Again, the overview of the process does seems simple however the execution of getting the surfaces clean and being able to control the heat is what makes it difficult from my/our experiences. Your mileage may vary!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 05:39 AM   #16
jack backer
BANNED

Finding a shop with an industrial hot water pressure washer with degreaser chemical works well if you don’t want to rod the radiator.. flow the hot water through the radiator in both directions till the core gets good and warm and it will loosen the dirt/grease/rust quite well..that’s if your core structure and fins are good. When the fins separate from the tubes heat exchange efficiency is lost.A fin comb can get them looking pretty good. A radiator with a tubu or two pinched and repaired from a water pump failure is ugly but can still be efficient.
jack backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 08:23 AM   #17
31Cabriolet68-C

Brasswoorks' website indicates they repair radiators....
They're closed now, or I'd call and see what they offer.
Anyone have any experience with them for this service?
Shipping from/to Florida would be a burden but there's often good value in restoring original Ford parts.
Have you tried the "Parts Wanted" section here on the Barn?
Three years ago I placed an ad looking for splash aprons on the Barn, and a guy found me who had 'em, and he also an excellent original radiator... I bought it at a very fair price, so keep hunting while yours is still serviceable.
TallyHo JB
31Cabriolet68-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 10:11 AM   #18
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
They gave one away a the recent CCRG Jamboree in Santa maria also.
That was the one I was talking about. I was bummed I didn't win it. Of course, I was bummed I didn't win the Mitchell OD either. Or anything else.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
Old 06-02-2023, 10:43 AM   #19
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
That was the one I was talking about. I was bummed I didn't win it. Of course, I was bummed I didn't win the Mitchell OD either. Or anything else.

JayJay
Ahhh... I was right there with you. I wanted that Mitchell Synchro trans and radiator. I didn't see a Mitchell O/D.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 11:36 AM   #20
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Ahhh... I was right there with you. I wanted that Mitchell Synchro trans and radiator. I didn't see a Mitchell O/D.
In hindsight, maybe it was a transmission, not an OD. I could have used either one. In any event, it was nice of Steve to donate such a great prize, especially considering how impacted his production is. Great support from our vendors for the cause (if I remember correctly, Mike's As, Snyders and Brattons also donated prizes, as well as Brassworks, and a number of individuals).

Food wasn't bad, either!

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan