Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-28-2023, 05:08 PM   #1
shew01

Default Tire Durability, MPG, and Oil Use

On this forum, I’ve seen many, many posts about how long a set of tires should last, the miles per gallon to be expected for a Model A, and oil use. I was very interested to see the following reprint of a Ford ad that touted 25,000 miles per set of tires, 20 miles per gallon of gas, and 600 miles per gallon of oil on page 28 of the March-April 2023 edition of Model “A” News.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 07:55 PM   #2
ModelA29

Default Re: Tire Durability, MPG, and Oil Use

I wonder how adding 4 quarts of oil in 600 miles works out in the having to change the oil (5 qts) in 500 miles? Every 125 miles you've added a fresh qt. I can see tires lasting a long time. Dirt roads aren't as abrasive as a paved one.
PS be sure when you do buy oil get one that looks good on your driveway........
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 10:52 PM   #3
30forfun

New to the Model A world - I hoping to do a bit better on the oil consumption - I have a good runner that still needs work to get on the road - What are realistic oil use expectation's?
30forfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 12:47 AM   #4
Synchro909

There are a number of variables that affect things like oil consumption. How aggressive you are with the accelerator being just one. With today's components and a freshly (but well run in) motor, I'd expect it to use less than a litre in 1,000 miles. (How's that for mixing units?) Last weekend, I did over 500 miles on an engine that has done about 15,000 miles so it is still young. The oil level dropped about 4 mm on the dip stick. I cruised at 85 - 90 kph (53-56 mph)
25,000 miles on a set of tyres - I'd like to see that!
20 mpg. The American gallon is a mystery to me but after some googling, that is near enough 24 mpg (imperial gallon). That is easily attained on a run - not so easy around town.
Old 05-29-2023, 02:00 AM   #5
Bill G

Was the ad implying oil consumption or oil change interval? I suspect the latter. I have a fairly new rebuilt engine with stock main and rear bearings and front seal, per specs. I have used a negligible amount in the last 550 since my last oil change. I recently got 18.4 mpg (US Gal) and routinely drive in the 45-50 mph range when out on the road. I currently have about 10k on a set of Firestones and I would be happy to get 25k. Don't know if that will happen.

Last edited by Bill G; 05-29-2023 at 02:06 AM.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 06:19 PM   #6
shew01

Default Tire Durability, MPG, and Oil Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelA29 View Post
I wonder how adding 4 quarts of oil in 600 miles works out in the having to change the oil (5 qts) in 500 miles? Every 125 miles you've added a fresh qt. I can see tires lasting a long time. Dirt roads aren't as abrasive as a paved one.
PS be sure when you do buy oil get one that looks good on your driveway........

Lol. Very good point. My wife likes things to match.

Old 05-30-2023, 06:23 PM   #7
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30forfun View Post
New to the Model A world - I hoping to do a bit better on the oil consumption - I have a good runner that still needs work to get on the road - What are realistic oil use expectation's?

My engine was rebuilt about 25,000 miles ago by Schwalms. I change oil every 1000 miles and do not have to add oil in between changes.

Old 05-30-2023, 06:23 PM   #8
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
Was the ad implying oil consumption or oil change interval? I suspect the latter. I have a fairly new rebuilt engine with stock main and rear bearings and front seal, per specs. I have used a negligible amount in the last 550 since my last oil change. I recently got 18.4 mpg (US Gal) and routinely drive in the 45-50 mph range when out on the road. I currently have about 10k on a set of Firestones and I would be happy to get 25k. Don't know if that will happen.

I read the entire article, and I still had the same question.

Old 05-30-2023, 07:09 PM   #9
WHN

Our last Model A we owned for 43 years. I changed the oil once a year or every 500 miles.

In 43 years I never had to add any oil between oil changes. Motor was rebuilt in the late 60’s. Under 15,000 miles since it was rebuilt.

Two sets of tires, but six batteries. One complete brake job done 4,000 miles ago, adjusted once since rebuild.

18 to 20 miles at best to a gallon of gas. All local driving, stop and go, 45 mph or under.

It has been babied.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 07:22 PM   #10
jack backer
BANNED

Cheap 4 ply rag tires are dicey to begin with,couple the poor traction they offer with mechanical brakes tire life is the least of your worries
jack backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 11:53 PM   #11
stickshift

I'm still fairly new to the Model A circle, so I don't understand the recommendation of oil changes at 500 miles. Is this carried over from the old days when oil was not as good as the oil is today? 500 miles just seems too often by todays standards. My Toyota Prius is recommended every 10,000 miles for oil changes. I know engines have evolved and improved since the 20's and 30's but even in the 60's and 70's they recommended every 3,000 to 5,000 miles for oil changes. Is 500 miles really necessary?
stickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 01:03 AM   #12
Bill G

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickshift View Post
I'm still fairly new to the Model A circle, so I don't understand the recommendation of oil changes at 500 miles. Is this carried over from the old days when oil was not as good as the oil is today? 500 miles just seems too often by todays standards. My Toyota Prius is recommended every 10,000 miles for oil changes. I know engines have evolved and improved since the 20's and 30's but even in the 60's and 70's they recommended every 3,000 to 5,000 miles for oil changes. Is 500 miles really necessary?

What you say about older oil versus newer oil is absolutely true. What is also true is that your Toyota, my Honda and everyone else's modern cars have engines that are balanced, have more durable bearings, and are designed with tolerances unheard of in the late 20's and early 30's. Computer systems also insure better combustion which results in less crud making its way to the oil. They also have oil filters.

On the flip side, many of us have Babbitted bearings using a splash oil system. However, we now run modern oil in our A's and many people also equip with some sort of oil filter.

Many Model A'ers still don't want to vary from the original 500 mile oil change interval originally required by Ford. Given the cost to re Babbitt an engine and the fact that engine rebuilders who do Babbitts are dwindling, frequent oil changes are thought to be cheap insurance.

Others will go 1000 miles or more with a clear conscience and cite newer oil and filters. I have a friend who says he doesn't keep track of the miles, but changes the oil when it gets "dirty enough". What it comes down to is that it is purely the choice of the owner. At this point we don't need to worry about voiding the warranty.

Cheers
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:11 AM   #13
ronn

Is 500 miles really necessary?

not unless you live in the outback or live on a logging range.........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 09:08 AM   #14
rackops

Best mileage I've gotten with mine was 25 mpg, and that was cruising between 45-50 mph on a long drive. Around town...it's down to 15 or so.

I've put about 2000 miles on my car since I bought it last year and just changed the oil for the first time. It looked fine and I think I probably could have gotten many more miles out of it, but I needed to drop the oil pan anyway, so it was time to do it all.
rackops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 10:05 AM   #15
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
Is 500 miles really necessary?

not unless you live in the outback or live on a logging range.........

RONN:

What are your feeling on the length of time between grease jobs?

That’s one of reasons that I change the oil at about 500 miles.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 02:18 PM   #16
Ivan in southeast va.

If you don't drive a lot of miles, yearly oil changes are fine.
Ivan in southeast va. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 07:03 PM   #17
Oldgearz

My opinion...anyone who changes their oil at 500 miles with today's oil is just trying to make themselves feel good. I use a semi senthetic 10/40 with high ZDDP, don't run an air filter, and when I change the oil it looks nearly brand new. Oh yes, I change it once a year for something to do as I can't get enough working on that car, but I have never driven more than 500 miles in a year. Just trying to make myself feel good!
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 07:30 PM   #18
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgearz View Post
My opinion...anyone who changes their oil at 500 miles with today's oil is just trying to make themselves feel good. I use a semi senthetic 10/40 with high ZDDP, don't run an air filter, and when I change the oil it looks nearly brand new. Oh yes, I change it once a year for something to do as I can't get enough working on that car, but I have never driven more than 500 miles in a year. Just trying to make myself feel good!
That made me smile. I've driven that far in a day more than once but on those long trips, I use other means to decide when to change the oil.
In that engine, I have insert bearings and a counterweights crank shaft. The middle main bearing is pressure fed (25 psi), 5.5 head, oil filter, a conservative cam and downdraught carburettor.
At 50 mph and fresh oil it sits on 180°F and 25 psi to the bearing. After a while, the pressure starts to drop at the same speed and temperature. By the time it is down to 22 psi, I change the oil and every second change, the filter as well. Oil change is regularly at 3,500 miles using the cheapest 20W50 oil I can find.
If we are going somewhere rather than sightseeing or relaxing, I can change oil every couple of weeks.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:32 AM   #19
jack backer
BANNED

Modern oils have additives that help prevent shear and increase the load carrying capability, both beneficial.

Oil should be changed on low mileage cars due to acids from combustion breaking down the oil, this effect on oil is ongoing.
jack backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 06:25 PM   #20
updraught

It's the Grapes of Wrath thing.
Running with old tyres over the top of new ones to preserve them. Topping up with sump oil. Thin the gas out with anything that will burn.
Should make the records reported by owners look fairly optimistic.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote