Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2023, 04:28 PM   #1
Erbleding

Default CB Antenna issues

Hello all,

Trying to install a CB in my 6 V positive ground Model A. I’m just using it for an upcoming tour, so I’m hooking the CB up to a 12 volt batter from my lawn tractor to avoid all the grounding issues. I issue I’m having is with the antenn. I’ve mounted a 4’ antenna to my rear bumper bracket and even run a grounding strap to the body, but the standing waive is through the roof. My buddy did the same mounting and he has perfect results. I’ve swapped out the antenna and the coax, but have the same results. Anybody had success with this? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 849B6863-7348-4379-8047-90BDE233E21D.jpg (42.1 KB, 66 views)
Erbleding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 06:23 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: CB Antenna issues

I'm guessing here - electronics is not my expertise but wouldn't the car body be shielding the signal from that antenna? Receivers behind your car would probably communicate with you quite well but not so those in front.
Old 05-27-2023, 07:20 PM   #3
Pete

A couple of possibilities.
You may have a faulty antenna. (bad coil or if fiberglass, broken internal wire)
You may have an antenna intended for a different frequency band. Many commercial and marine antennas look identical to CB antennas.
If it is a metal antenna, try wrapping a 4 inch BARE piece of stiff wire to the top and see if the SWR goes up or down. That should tell you if the antenna is at least working and that it is cut for another band.

Late notice. I see you tried another antenna with same results. Check your antenna bridge on a known good antenna before proceeding.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 09:46 PM   #4
ABento

It looks like the grommets are not there, to isolate the antenna from the mount
ABento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 09:47 PM   #5
BradinFAT

From the picture that you posted, it does noy look like you have the nylon isolating washer between the antenna and the bracket. With out that washer your antenna is grounded and will send your SWR to the max.
BradinFAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 11:01 AM   #6
Bill G

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradinFAT View Post
From the picture that you posted, it does noy look like you have the nylon isolating washer between the antenna and the bracket. With out that washer your antenna is grounded and will send your SWR to the max.

I agree with the above. Check it with an ohm meter. Also, an antenna tuner might be in order, but may be overkill for your needs. Since your battery represents an isolated supply and you are grounding the antenna side, you might try strapping the negative side of the CB 12-volt battery to ground.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote