Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-26-2023, 06:53 AM   #121
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: MMO in the Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post
I disagree that That adding MMO does not help.....Would love to see a survey
Ron, surveys mean nothing when substantiated fact-checking is not involved.

You are an engineer that uses factual data to overcome theories and beliefs. Likewise my father (-who held a masters degree in Chemical Engineering) spent 30 years in the laboratory of Atlantic Richfield and later BP. Dad held several patents for both companies, and would often analyze "snake oils" to determine trace ingredients and compare to their own products. He was not alone as other oil companies had engineers doing the same thing analyzing/comparing ARCO's Graphite Motor Oil and other products to their own, so this practice is nothing new. My dad and I had this conversations more than a couple of times during his lifetime about MMO, STP, Lucas Oil Products, et/al, ...and based on their lab research there was no benefit to be gained with their usage in modern oils.

To further this, Marvel Mystery Oil was invented prior to our Model-As ever even been designed, -or for that matter, before they were even thought of! Think about that and how much Ford has advanced and improved their product over the years. Why doesn't this same mindset apply to MMO? In all fairness, the MMO product likely had some sort of small benefit when used with sour crude paraffin oils of the Model-A era. Refining techniques have become much more advanced in the last 90-100 years, additives manufactured and used in modern oils has become much more advanced, and even the selections available today vs. some 50 years ago are vastly improved. So contrary to what some might still believe, any special benefit that MMO might have been to Motor Oils -or even Gasolines manufactured some 50+ years ago has most-assuredly been overtaken by modern refiners and blenders who have tailored their product(s) to meet, -or exceed any needs for using MMO in today's gasolines or motor oils. Taking an unscientific and/or opinionated survey to potentially validate something is crazy IMHO as it only spreads more confusion and misinformation.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 07:41 AM   #122
Aretino

I add the 4oz per 10 gallons of gas. My car always seems to run better with MMO.
Aretino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 08:01 AM   #123
Dino's A

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Ron, surveys mean nothing when substantiated fact-checking is not involved.

You are an engineer that uses factual data to overcome theories and beliefs. Likewise my father (-who held a masters degree in Chemical Engineering) spent 30 years in the laboratory of Atlantic Richfield and later BP. Dad held several patents for both companies, and would often analyze "snake oils" to determine trace ingredients and compare to their own products. He was not alone as other oil companies had engineers doing the same thing analyzing/comparing ARCO's Graphite Motor Oil and other products to their own, so this practice is nothing new. My dad and I had this conversations more than a couple of times during his lifetime about MMO, STP, Lucas Oil Products, et/al, ...and based on their lab research there was no benefit to be gained with their usage in modern oils.

To further this, Marvel Mystery Oil was invented prior to our Model-As ever even been designed, -or for that matter, before they were even thought of! Think about that and how much Ford has advanced and improved their product over the years. Why doesn't this same mindset apply to MMO? In all fairness, the MMO product likely had some sort of small benefit when used with sour crude paraffin oils of the Model-A era. Refining techniques have become much more advanced in the last 90-100 years, additives manufactured and used in modern oils has become much more advanced, and even the selections available today vs. some 50 years ago are vastly improved. So contrary to what some might still believe, any special benefit that MMO might have been to Motor Oils -or even Gasolines manufactured some 50+ years ago has most-assuredly been overtaken by modern refiners and blenders who have tailored their product(s) to meet, -or exceed any needs for using MMO in today's gasolines or motor oils. Taking an unscientific and/or opinionated survey to potentially validate something is crazy IMHO as it only spreads more confusion and misinformation.
Maybe refineries are more advanced in how gas is refined but some states
cannot buy gasoline without ethanol added. Ethanol is the almost as bad
as pouring in water to your tank. My tank is 93 years old and I will use MMO to attempt to protect it against rust.

Modern oils are refined for modern cars. They lack zinc, (zddp) which is not
the greatest for older engines. So, I will add MMO for the tank, and zinc for the motor.
1968 Taco Minibike

Member, Santa Anita Model A's
Arcadia Ca.
Dino's A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 09:38 AM   #124
Phil Brown

I would bet that if I gave one of the users of MMO 10 five-gallon fuel jugs of gas where I put MMO in only one or two of the jugs to use one at a time nobody can tell me which jug or jugs had it in the gas 😏
Phil Brown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 06:19 PM   #125
GPierce

My truck always run much better after I wash and clean the interior. Go figure.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 06:44 PM   #126
stickshift

This same debate has gone on for ages on other forums that I frequent such as H.A.M.B., Yesterday's tractor, Smokestak, etc. The consensus is always the same... some people love it and use it religiously, others doubt it does anything at all to help engines run better. Nothing will change the way people feel, even irrefutable evidence proving one way or the other. The fact that MMO has survived the great depression, and multiple deep recessions means that it is here to stay whether is works, or not. People will always buy it.

Last edited by stickshift; 05-26-2023 at 11:19 PM.
stickshift is offline   Reply With Quote