Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-18-2023, 08:00 PM   #101
Model A Ron

Cool Re: MMO in the Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I am not sure if we are all playing a game of oneupsmanship on 'To Tell a Story' or what, but I'm gonna ask this as if we are being serious in our storytelling.

Therefore, EXACTLY WHAT did the Marvel Mystery Oil do to "exploding valves" (-whatever that sounds like?? ) to make the exploding sound go away? Since the Model-A engine uses a mechanical tappet, it generally is excessive lash clearances that causes a valve noise. From my vantage point, it is more likely that a higher viscosity oil would cushion the impact of the tappet hitting the valve stem, ...yet I would think that MMO being a thinner viscosity, it would not help in abating that valve noise. If that was not it, then what other scenario would cause the valves to explode??
Brent I am not sure about exploding valves but MMO works so good that it could replace the need for an engine rebuild in some cases lol
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 09:27 AM   #102
David in San Antonio

Default Re: MMO in the Gas

Guy Lumbago? Ha! Guy Lombardo was an avid hydroplane racer in addition to his main gig leading the Royal Canadians dance band and playing Auld Lang Syne on radio, then television, on New Year’s Eve. He also ran over my paternal grandfather and maternal grandmother with his Jaguar in the wee hours of the morning on a rainy December 9, 1951 in Glendale, NY. My grandfather did not survive. I’m not making this up.
Whew. Now I’ve done my part in extending this forum post.
David in San Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 06:16 PM   #103
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in San Antonio View Post
Guy Lumbago? Ha! Guy Lombardo was an avid hydroplane racer in addition to his main gig leading the Royal Canadians dance band and playing Auld Lang Syne on radio, then television, on New Year’s Eve. He also ran over my paternal grandfather and maternal grandmother with his Jaguar in the wee hours of the morning on a rainy December 9, 1951 in Glendale, NY. My grandfather did not survive. I’m not making this up.
Whew. Now I’ve done my part in extending this forum post.
That is one very interesting story.
Old 05-19-2023, 07:12 PM   #104
Sunny the Model A

I use MMO between 4-6 oz per tank in my daily driver A pickup and I do it for four reasons. 1 it helps prevent vapor lock, 2 it keeps the carburetor clean while its running, 3 it coats the tank and prevents rust in the first place. 4 it slows down the combustion slightly allowing you to get a bit more economy out of it. I did a 165 mile trip running with 4 oz of marvel mystery oil. 45-50 mph on full spark advance, gav fully shut and "cruise control" on. I used 7.9 gallons for the whole trip. that's 20.7 mpg. I probably could have done far better if I had stayed at 40-45 and not idled at stops. but all in all, I am a believer in MMO, my question to critics of the stuff, what's the harm? if you don't like it you don't have to use it. Why not at least try a controlled experiment with and without it and see if it works like it says it does?
Old 05-20-2023, 05:50 PM   #105
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny the Model A View Post
I use MMO between 4-6 oz per tank in my daily driver A pickup and I do it for four reasons. 1 it helps prevent vapor lock, 2 it keeps the carburetor clean while its running, 3 it coats the tank and prevents rust in the first place. 4 it slows down the combustion slightly allowing you to get a bit more economy out of it. I did a 165 mile trip running with 4 oz of marvel mystery oil. 45-50 mph on full spark advance, gav fully shut and "cruise control" on. I used 7.9 gallons for the whole trip. that's 20.7 mpg. I probably could have done far better if I had stayed at 40-45 and not idled at stops. but all in all, I am a believer in MMO, my question to critics of the stuff, what's the harm? if you don't like it you don't have to use it. Why not at least try a controlled experiment with and without it and see if it works like it says it does?
Very well said and thank you for sharing.
Old 05-20-2023, 06:30 PM   #106
JimG1127

Has anyone tried MMO in their modern car? Any benefit?
It does smell great. I want to keep an open bottle in my house.
JimG1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 09:44 PM   #107
Herb Concord Ca

X2 on Sunny's views on MMO especially point #1. Point 2 is good for cast iron Zenith carbs, will prevent rust from forming.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 05:57 AM   #108
jack backer
BANNED

How does it prevent vapor lock? How does it slow down combustion?
jack backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 06:02 AM   #109
TomInCologne

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack backer View Post
How does it prevent vapor lock? How does it slow down combustion?

That's something that can be explained by physics: by putting higher hydrocarbons into the mix which have a higher boiling point and lower flame speed. Is the lower flame speed wanted? I wouldn't think so...

A lot of the other claims like 'cleaning' and 'rust prevention'? well...
TomInCologne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 06:50 AM   #110
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Has anyone tried MMO in their modern car? Any benefit?
It does smell great. I want to keep an open bottle in my house.

We tried it in my wife’s Land Rover. The check engine light came on after a few miles. Dealer said there was a fuel problem code. They didn’t recommend using MMO and reset computer. After a few miles the Light came on again. After a couple of gas fill up’s, check engine light stopped coming on.

I guess the computer in our Model A’s isn’t as sensitive as the cars today.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 04:18 PM   #111
Werner

The addition of MMO has many implications.

The highly distilled white oil used as the basis ensures passivation of the surfaces and also a certain amount of lubrication in the entire area from the tank to the intake valve.

The detergents contained in it also ensure that old deposits are gradually removed and platelet-shaped soot particles cannot form crystals because they flake off beforehand.

The combustion process itself is a little bit delayed, since the stoichiometric ratio due to the oil admixture leads to a somewhat delayed flame speed of the ignition mixture, to the detriment of the oxygen atoms. (This is rather leisurely anyway at 25 m per second.)

That's why we old masters knew the trick of pouring some two-stroke oil into the tank in the event of knocking or knocking combustion.

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 04:38 PM   #112
ronn

I usee MMO in all of my cars and riding tractor etc.

My cars are basic and not fancy Land Rovers!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 05:28 PM   #113
Sunny the Model A

X2 with Werner. I have done the same thing with highly filtered used motor oil. I add it in at 4 oz per tank if mmo isn't available. it works the same way, and it is a good use of your old oil. All you need is a 5-micron filter sock and a bit of Patience. I dilute the oil with some gas that i use to clean parts and so on. it gets mixed up and the contaminants removed with the filter. once I do that it comes out clean and I run it like marvel. no fear of smoke and it works well.
Old 05-22-2023, 12:38 AM   #114
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny the Model A View Post
X2 with Werner. I have done the same thing with highly filtered used motor oil. I add it in at 4 oz per tank if mmo isn't available. it works the same way, and it is a good use of your old oil. All you need is a 5-micron filter sock and a bit of Patience. I dilute the oil with some gas that i use to clean parts and so on. it gets mixed up and the contaminants removed with the filter. once I do that it comes out clean and I run it like marvel. no fear of smoke and it works well.
As described, gasoline does the same. They’re both petroleum products. No one here has offered any real testing to say this works or doesn’t. No one here really has the pockets that are deep enough to actually prove or disprove any benefits.

Cars, including A’s have run fine without this stuff, just like they do without lead in the gas, zinc additives in the oil and fancy velocity stacks in the carbs.

Adding 4oz to 10 gallons doesn’t do anything either way, it’s so diluted at that point.

The diehard users should go a full season without it and report the difference.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 07:53 PM   #115
Model A Ron

If you do not want to use MMM that is your choice. It works for me and many others so I have faith in the product.
Old 05-23-2023, 05:32 PM   #116
Herb Concord Ca

Post 115 X2.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 08:34 PM   #117
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner View Post
The addition of MMO has many implications.

The highly distilled white oil used as the basis ensures passivation of the surfaces and also a certain amount of lubrication in the entire area from the tank to the intake valve.

The detergents contained in it also ensure that old deposits are gradually removed and platelet-shaped soot particles cannot form crystals because they flake off beforehand.

The combustion process itself is a little bit delayed, since the stoichiometric ratio due to the oil admixture leads to a somewhat delayed flame speed of the ignition mixture, to the detriment of the oxygen atoms. (This is rather leisurely anyway at 25 m per second.)

That's why we old masters knew the trick of pouring some two-stroke oil into the tank in the event of knocking or knocking combustion.
Some really good points….thanks for sharing
Old 05-25-2023, 10:13 PM   #118
Model A Ron

Thumbs up Re: MMO in the Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
As described, gasoline does the same. They’re both petroleum products. No one here has offered any real testing to say this works or doesn’t. No one here really has the pockets that are deep enough to actually prove or disprove any benefits.

Cars, including A’s have run fine without this stuff, just like they do without lead in the gas, zinc additives in the oil and fancy velocity stacks in the carbs.

Adding 4oz to 10 gallons doesn’t do anything either way, it’s so diluted at that point.

Well I went a few tanks without MMO as I was out and the car just seems to not run as good. I dumped in 5 ounces and filled her to the top and when to a cruse in. On the way home I noticed how the car just seemed to run better. Not sure if MMO increases octane but it sure does something to the gas and with the benefit of preventing rust I see no reason not to usee it but thats just my opinion.
Old 05-25-2023, 11:21 PM   #119
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post

Maybe the diehard naysayers should also try MMO for a season and also report. It could be formatted as a survey this winter for laughs and insight.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 11:44 PM   #120
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Maybe the diehard naysayers should also try MMO for a season and also report. It could be formatted as a survey this winter for laughs and insight.

I disagree that That adding MMO does not help.....Would love to see a survey