Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-02-2023, 09:37 AM   #81
The Master Cylinder

Default Re: MMO in the Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke36 View Post
Some use ZDDP zinc additive for flat tappet motors since zinc is banned from fuels due to catalytic convertor issues with zinc. If there is test data for all these additives, it would be good to see them.
I thought ZDDP was added to the oil. Lead was banned from fuels. I don't believe zinc was ever added to gasoline.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 09:32 PM   #82
Model A Ron

I was watching a video that Paul Shinn had about cleaning a gas tank and he said a little MMO in the gas helps prevent rust.....sounds logical to me
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 06:57 AM   #83
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post
I was watching a video that Paul Shinn had about cleaning a gas tank and he said a little MMO in the gas helps prevent rust.....sounds logical to me
I see plenty of gas tanks that come to me for restoration after folks have tried all of these remedies that seem to counter that logic. One being MMO! I've even had one come in where they read/watched/whatever somewhere how some authority recommended using POR15 on the inside of the gas tank to cure the rust problem.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 08:10 AM   #84
mhsprecher

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
Brent:

Maybe it’s like taking CBD. No one can really tell you how or why it helps, but for some people it does.

MMO seems to have worked for me. In one of my cars there was no other reason that the valves would have freed up and quieted down.

Enjoy.
If you changed the oil and are driving it more, that could explain what happened to your car. Without performing controlled tests, there is no way to document whether it works or not. I use it too, so I am not opposed to it. Anecdotal stories like those here are nice, but they are not rigorous tests.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 04:21 AM   #85
Model A Ron

I know some love MMO and some do not but regardless I think keeping the gas tank full helps assuming your tank is in good shape......and i do not see how MMO hurts.
Old 05-17-2023, 06:11 AM   #86
jack backer
BANNED

Quote:
The ability to create entertaining videos doesn’t not imply knowledge, other than what it takes to produce them.
jack backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 12:28 PM   #87
stickshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack backer View Post
The ability to create entertaining videos doesn’t not imply knowledge, other than what it takes to produce them.
With all due respect, I think personal experience can be interpreted as "knowledge". It seems like most of the posts on the several pages of this subject are mostly based on personal experience, whether positive or negative. A product that has been around a hundred years certainly has a strong and loyal customer base to survive, spanning several generations. Not too many products can boast about that. Whether it's a great product, or snake oil...people still buy it because they think it works.
stickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 02:10 PM   #88
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
If you changed the oil and are driving it more, that could explain what happened to your car. Without performing controlled tests, there is no way to document whether it works or not. I use it too, so I am not opposed to it. Anecdotal stories like those here are nice, but they are not rigorous tests.

I owned the car that I am referring to for 43 years. The first 20 years I did not use MMO or HD oil. Switched over, and within 100 miles most of the valve noise went away. Within 500 miles it was gone. Sold the car last year, no valve noise.

A few years ago I purchased a car that had been sitting for a number of years. When we started it up it sounded like the valves were going to explode. Changed the oil to 20W-50 HD and put MMO in gas. After about 200 miles noise was almost gone.

I don’t need rigorous tests. I like first hand results. We’re not going to the Moon here.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 03:09 PM   #89
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
We’re not going to the Moon here.
Bang, Right to the moon Alice... https://youtu.be/98qw86DsdZ0
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 04:00 PM   #90
stickshift

A funny story... I know this MMO subject has been beat to death, but it reminds me of someone I met many years ago. I was in a pizza parlor and when I went to pay the man at the register, I slowly reached out my arm and said my elbow has tendinitis (tennis elbow). The man at the register said "Oh you should rub some WD-40 on it" I said "What"? He said "Yes, I use it all the time for my arthritis". I said "You actually put it on your skin"? He swore it works. I know the makers of WD-40 would be the first to disclaim topical use, and there are no clinical studies to support this, but this guy would go to his grave claiming it worked for him...and who am I to say he's wrong?
Old 05-17-2023, 04:23 PM   #91
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickshift View Post
A funny story... I know this MMO subject has been beat to death, but it reminds me of someone I met many years ago. I was in a pizza parlor and when I went to pay the man at the register, I slowly reached out my arm and said my elbow has tendinitis (tennis elbow). The man at the register said "Oh you should rub some WD-40 on it" I said "What"? He said "Yes, I use it all the time for my arthritis". I said "You actually put it on your skin"? He swore it works. I know the makers of WD-40 would be the first to disclaim topical use, and there are no clinical studies to support this, but this guy would go to his grave claiming it worked for him...and who am I to say he's wrong?
Well, did you try it? Maybe it does work!
Old 05-17-2023, 07:14 PM   #92
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
Well, did you try it? Maybe it does work!
The smell of MMO is great.....maybe he should try it lol
Old 05-17-2023, 08:15 PM   #93
Synchro909

Quote:
The smell of MMO is great.....maybe he should try it lol
Upper cylinder lubricant as we used to call it smelt like almonds. Does MMO smell like that? I've never seen it here but I looked it up. A one US gallon (3.78 litres) pack cost $100. I guess I'm not in a hurry to find out how it smells.
Old 05-17-2023, 09:17 PM   #94
Model A Ron

MMO works so good it freed up a stuck distributer for me. I bet if you dumped some in an empty tank and let it sit in different positions it would remove rust.
Old 05-18-2023, 06:50 AM   #95
jack backer
BANNED

Yup, rub some on your joints, it’s good for arthritis, rheumatism, lumbago and melancholy..
Old 05-18-2023, 07:16 AM   #96
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
I owned the car that I am referring to for 43 years. The first 20 years I did not use MMO or HD oil. Switched over, and within 100 miles most of the valve noise went away. Within 500 miles it was gone. Sold the car last year, no valve noise.

A few years ago I purchased a car that had been sitting for a number of years. When we started it up it sounded like the valves were going to explode. Changed the oil to 20W-50 HD and put MMO in gas. After about 200 miles noise was almost gone.

I don’t need rigorous tests. I like first hand results. We’re not going to the Moon here.

Enjoy.
I am not sure if we are all playing a game of oneupsmanship on 'To Tell a Story' or what, but I'm gonna ask this as if we are being serious in our storytelling.

Therefore, EXACTLY WHAT did the Marvel Mystery Oil do to "exploding valves" (-whatever that sounds like?? ) to make the exploding sound go away? Since the Model-A engine uses a mechanical tappet, it generally is excessive lash clearances that causes a valve noise. From my vantage point, it is more likely that a higher viscosity oil would cushion the impact of the tappet hitting the valve stem, ...yet I would think that MMO being a thinner viscosity, it would not help in abating that valve noise. If that was not it, then what other scenario would cause the valves to explode??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 07:37 AM   #97
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I am not sure if we are all playing a game of oneupsmanship on 'To Tell a Story' or what, but I'm gonna ask this as if we are being serious in our storytelling.

Therefore, EXACTLY WHAT did the Marvel Mystery Oil do to "exploding valves" (-whatever that sounds like?? ) to make the exploding sound go away? Since the Model-A engine uses a mechanical tappet, it generally is excessive lash clearances that causes a valve noise. From my vantage point, it is more likely that a higher viscosity oil would cushion the impact of the tappet hitting the valve stem, ...yet I would think that MMO being a thinner viscosity, it would not help in abating that valve noise. If that was not it, then what other scenario would cause the valves to explode??

I was just using the word exploding to over emphasize the clatter that the valve train was making.

There were no explosions going on with the exception of normal cylinder firing.

My point is that there very well could be a correlation in using MMO along with HD oil to help free up your valve train. Slow, sticking, worn.

Say whatever you like! I really think that it has worked for me. The proof is in the pudding. Valve noise was reduced significantly. That’s all I cared about.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 03:58 PM   #98
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
MMO works so good it freed up a stuck distributer for me. I bet if you dumped some in an empty tank and let it sit in different positions it would remove rust.
Im not going to go back through 5 pages of posts to find his name, but I’m with the guy in a previous post who said that after he puts it in his gas tank, he splashes some on like cologne.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 04:44 PM   #99
stickshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
Im not going to go back through 5 pages of posts to find his name, but I’m with the guy in a previous post who said that after he puts it in his gas tank, he splashes some on like cologne.

David Serrano
I remember that one! He said it attracts women. (LOL) I'm thinking mosquitos too! Seriously...how long is this post going to last? I know I'm not helping to end it.
Old 05-18-2023, 05:28 PM   #100
jack backer
BANNED

When I was a kid “Guy Lumbago and his Orchestra” played at Jones Beach… he was a spokesman for Marvel, why his last name alone sold gallons..