Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-21-2023, 08:05 PM   #41
J Franklin

Default Re: MMO in the Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Metaphorically, not literally!
If you see it that way. But now we are off topic so add some MMO and free up things.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 10:47 PM   #42
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
If you see it that way. But now we are off topic so add some MMO and free up things.
Remember when gas had a red tint? I bet they were adding MMO at the pump years back.
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 10:50 PM   #43
Terry, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Who said anything about not liking it. I am only trying to understand how the claims being made are possible. For example, someone thought it may have detergents in it however I read where most modern fuels have additives and detergents in them straight from the pump.
Brent, I would agree, it don't seem to be enough to make a difference! However, My aircraft engine in my Cessna 172 was a troublesome cat , an O320 H2AD, (Opposed 320 CU.in. H2AD) and the FAA had issued a A.D. (Aviation ? Directive) to add 5 or 6 ounces of some elixir to the six quarts of oil at each oil change. So stuff in small quantities can make a difference! I complied and never had a problem. By the way, If I recall properly paradicholorobenzine in crystalline form is what mothballs are made of. A hard smell to overcome! Put me down as a believer in MMO.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 06:46 AM   #44
GPierce

The elixir was was TCP, Tricresyl phosphate, of which there is a small amount in MMO.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 06:58 AM   #45
David in San Antonio

I stopped using placebos when extra-strength placebos became available. Much, much better.
David in San Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 07:32 AM   #46
Big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Brent, I would agree, it don't seem to be enough to make a difference! However, My aircraft engine in my Cessna 172 was a troublesome cat , an O320 H2AD, (Opposed 320 CU.in. H2AD) and the FAA had issued a A.D. (Aviation ? Directive) to add 5 or 6 ounces of some elixir to the six quarts of oil at each oil change. So stuff in small quantities can make a difference! I complied and never had a problem. By the way, If I recall properly paradicholorobenzine in crystalline form is what mothballs are made of. A hard smell to overcome! Put me down as a believer in MMO.
Terry
A.D. =. Airworthiness Directive ! Required maintenance per FAA
Old 04-22-2023, 08:54 AM   #47
Terry, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
A.D. =. Airworthiness Directive ! Required maintenance per FAA
Thanks for updating my memory. In the last few years, it's been slipping a little!
Terry
Old 04-23-2023, 05:58 PM   #48
Bob-A

In reference to [email protected]. I also use MMO in my gas due to vapor locking. I had a '29 Chevy that also use to vapor lock even with a mechanical fuel pump. Once I added MMO no more vapor lock. It can get very hot here in Florida.

Bob-A

Skirts are for women and not car fenders!
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 07:44 PM   #49
Gufshoz

I have always put 4 oz of MMO per 10 gal of gas when I fill up. I really don't know if I'm getting a benefit, but I don't really care and I'm not going to stop. It is part of my ritual of fueling my car and adds to the mystique of owning/driving an antique car. I love how people at the neighboring pumps watch me as I carefully measure the bright red liquid, pour into the cowl tank opening and then clean every drop from my measuring cup and the neck of the gallon jug of MMO. I stow the cup, jug and towels in a special secured spot in my trunk (my '30 coupe has had the rumble seat replaced with a trunk). When people ask me what I'm doing and why, I tell them that it is a "mystery"; possibly connected with Voodoo, and if I reveal the secret I may lose my juju.
PS: Marine fuel without ethanol is readily available in my area, so that's what I use. If I'm cruising, I just use any regular gas. I also throw salt over my left shoulder if I should spill some. Some things just won't hurt, but you never know. Keep smiling.
Gufshoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 10:17 AM   #50
Stew Masche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Thanks for updating my memory. In the last few years, it's been slipping a little!
Terry
Maybe some MMO taken in small quantities will help with the slipping ?
Old 04-25-2023, 11:02 AM   #51
Werner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gufshoz View Post
I have always put 4 oz of MMO per 10 gal of gas when I fill up. I really don't know if I'm getting a benefit, but I don't really care and I'm not going to stop. It is part of my ritual of fueling my car and adds to the mystique of owning/driving an antique car. I love how people at the neighboring pumps watch me as I carefully measure the bright red liquid, pour into the cowl tank opening and then clean every drop from my measuring cup and the neck of the gallon jug of MMO. I stow the cup, jug and towels in a special secured spot in my trunk (my '30 coupe has had the rumble seat replaced with a trunk). When people ask me what I'm doing and why, I tell them that it is a "mystery"; possibly connected with Voodoo, and if I reveal the secret I may lose my juju.
PS: Marine fuel without ethanol is readily available in my area, so that's what I use. If I'm cruising, I just use any regular gas. I also throw salt over my left shoulder if I should spill some. Some things just won't hurt, but you never know. Keep smiling.

Very, very well written! I like that sort of mental life, it's rituals that we celebrate on our iron cars.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030192.jpg (85.3 KB, 33 views)

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 02:05 PM   #52
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gufshoz View Post
Fun fact, Burt Pierce, founder of Marvel Carburetor Company, formulated Marvel Mystery Oil to keep his carburetor jets clean.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 04-25-2023 at 03:23 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 02:11 PM   #53
Big hammer

Hey Y-Blockhead, could you please increase your letter size by at least 50%, it would help with old tired eyes reading your posts. I do like the green letters! :-)
Old 04-25-2023, 03:24 PM   #54
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
Hey Y-Blockhead, could you please increase your letter size by at least 50%, it would help with old tired eyes reading your posts. I do like the green letters! :-)
Sure, anything for you...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 12:22 AM   #55

Terry, Moth balls are Naphthalene, C10-H8, a hydro carbon, produced from coal tar which crystalises into a white substance then used to evacuate pesky cloth munching insects in your wardrobe/closet. It was at one time called white tar. Sorry for the chemistry lesson, it still smells nice, reminds me of a well kept bedroom and best Sunday suite.
I make a type of MMO using some info gleaned from MSDS (material safety data sheet). My mix is Six parts marine two stroke outboard motor oil, added to Four parts auto transmission fluid, to which add a small amount of Salacylic Acid, (oil of winter green) add the mixture in the same portions as MMO.

Cheers Rob GIMG_6456.jpg

IMG_6468.jpg
Old 04-26-2023, 05:08 AM   #56
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1946 View Post
Terry, Moth balls are Naphthalene, C10-H8, a hydro carbon, produced from coal tar which crystalises into a white substance then used to evacuate pesky cloth munching insects in your wardrobe/closet. It was at one time called white tar. Sorry for the chemistry lesson, it still smells nice, reminds me of a well kept bedroom and best Sunday suite.
I make a type of MMO using some info gleaned from MSDS (material safety data sheet). My mix is Six parts marine two stroke outboard motor oil, added to Four parts auto transmission fluid, to which add a small amount of Salacylic Acid, (oil of winter green) add the mixture in the same portions as MMO.

Cheers Rob GAttachment 514951

Attachment 514952
Outboard oil may cause carbon buildup if you use too much.....I would stick with good old MMO.
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 09:26 AM   #57
Terry, NJ

Quote:

Cheers Rob GAttachment 514951

Attachment 514952
Rob. I checked it out. as I recalled it, moth balls, in the 1940s were made using Paradiclorobenzene as I remembered . You can still get them under the "ENOZ" name. However, you are correct about the Napthalene being used today.
Terry
Old 04-26-2023, 04:11 PM   #58
Werner

Quote:
My mix is Six parts marine two stroke outboard motor oil, added to Four parts auto transmission fluid ...
ATF oil is not suitable for engine combustion engines.

It is a low-viscosity gear oil with a increase coefficient of friction (!) and high-pressure additives. These tend to form particularly strong tar and sulfate ash forms from this. In the long term, this leads to glass-hard deposits on the piston crowns and the valve stems on the exhaust valve.
(Motor oils are more refined, contains other additive packages designed for almost deposit-free combustion, as well as cleaning additives and detergents.)

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 06:24 PM   #59

Talking Re: MMO in the Gas

Thank you Ron and Werner. It looks like I will have to re think the contents of my home made MMO. I do have some genuine MMO. I had to order it from an Aviation supply company, then it is shipped to the ordering co, and at A$80.00 per container it is not cheap. I bought it on the recomendation of my aircraft mechanic to use un my Auster aircraft.
Old 04-26-2023, 06:36 PM   #60
J Franklin

Quote:
at A$80.00 per container it is not cheap. I bought it on the recomendation of my aircraft mechanic to use un my Auster aircraft.
Since it is aircraft, it is good to rethink. I think instead of paying ransom I would find a recomended (by the arcraft suppliers), top oil and then add the wintergreen oil. Now it will work and still smell great! I don't know what brands they sell where you're at, maybe seafoam, maybe some other tried and true product that won't bring any lawsuits if the unfortunate should happen.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote