Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-24-2023, 03:17 PM   #21
Fhane

Default Re: Brake drums

Synchro909 is correct is saying the drums are only part of the equation.

I have done quite a few complete brake jobs. I would not do a partial at the customers request. If a customer wants a partial, I supply what he wants, he installs it or has someone else in the job. I also have seen a cheap cast iron drum that has exploded when being swedged. I only swedge Nodular Cast Iron Drums. Check with your vender to see what type of cast iron he sells.

Nodular cast iron is a high-strength cast iron material developed in the 1950s. Its comprehensive properties are close to steel. Based on its excellent properties, it has been successfully used to cast some parts with complex stress and high requirements for strength, toughness, and wear resistance. Nodular cast iron has rapidly developed into a widely used cast iron material second only to gray cast iron.

Because carbon (graphite) exists in the matrix of cast iron in a spherical shape, its splitting effect on the matrix is improved, and the tensile strength, yield strength, plasticity, and impact toughness of nodular cast iron are greatly improved. Nodular cast iron is much better than gray cast iron in strength, plasticity, toughness, and even close to steel; It has the advantages of wear resistance, shock absorption, good process performance, and low cost. It has widely replaced malleable cast iron and some cast steel and forged steel parts.
Fhane is offline   Reply With Quote