Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-22-2023, 11:48 PM   #1
Model A Ron

Default Relocating 29 Phaeton Front Seat

Has anyone moved the Phaeton front seat back for more driver legroom? When you look at the back seat it has more room than a limo so the physical space is there.

I know the front seat supports the B Pillar so some welding and fab would be necessary but I think it's worth the effort. The Backrest spring has been replaced with foam so I have all the room I am going to get with the stock position. The car is drivable but it would so much more enjoyable with another 3 to 5 inches of legroom.....so much so that I am willing to put the time in.
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 01:05 AM   #2
Floats

Default Re: Relocating 29 Phaeton Front Seat

Hi Ron,
I had the same problem with my 28 Roadster pickup. I would strongly suggest rather than changing the structure of the B posts, to remodel the front seat back rest.
I made a much thinner foam seat back and covered it with the same material as the seat bottom. You might not get the 3 to 5 inches but it looks OK and serves the purpose without fiddling with the structure of the car and it is reversible.
My two pence.
28 Model A RPU, 29 Chevy Phaeton, 67 E Type FHC, 67 250SL Pagoda, 83 911 SC
Floats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 08:45 AM   #3
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floats View Post
Hi Ron,
I had the same problem with my 28 Roadster pickup. I would strongly suggest rather than changing the structure of the B posts, to remodel the front seat back rest.
I made a much thinner foam seat back and covered it with the same material as the seat bottom. You might not get the 3 to 5 inches but it looks OK and serves the purpose without fiddling with the structure of the car and it is reversible.
My two pence.
This has already been done and I have room to drive but after about an hour I feel like I need to get out. Adding legroom would allow me to take long trips and not worry about being a bit too tight. The problem I have is that my legs are long.

Last edited by Model A Ron; 04-23-2023 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-23-2023, 05:48 PM   #4
Synchro909

A guy in my club removed the front seat and fitted seat from a 1950-60s Morris Minor but he didn't do much of a job of supporting the B pillar. You had to hold things in place to even close the door and the side of the car would flop about when the door was open. The basics of the fix was to fabricate a steel support that went from one side to the other. It was bolted to the chassis and curved upwards at the ends to support the pillar. The steel across the floor was about 40x10mm (from memory) and the near vertical part was cut to match the curve of the pillar and welded to the fist piece and oriented such that the strength was maximised. Brackets were made to attach to the pillar and all was good.
People were certainly smaller in those days and fewer were as overweight as we are today. I'm at the top end of average weight for height and find a Model A "cosy". The Model A was plenty big enough in the 1920's/30's.
Old 04-23-2023, 09:20 PM   #5
Model A Ron

I would only do this to my 29 Phaeton if I could make it look like it came that way from Ford. Recently I moved the seat back 5'' on a 24 Model T Coupe by removing the package shelf, relocating the gas tank back, and reconstructing the seat. The 24 now has as much legroom as my 2005 Mercedes 320 CDI. If anyone would want to do this to a Model A Coupe it would be much less of a project without having to deal with the gas tank.

I am sure it could be done on the Phaeton. The only concern is how to support the B Pillar and make things look as if Ford made it that way
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seat B3.jpg (58.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Interion DA4.jpg (56.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Seat F2.jpg (113.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Seat F1.jpg (128.7 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Model A Ron; 04-24-2023 at 05:29 AM.
Old 04-24-2023, 11:35 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post
I would only do this to my 29 Phaeton if I could make it look like it came that way from Ford.
I am sure it could be done on the Phaeton. The only concern is how to support the B Pillar and make things look as if Ford made it that way

Ron, it has been done. Matter of fact, we have done it to someone's car that you know very well.

The advantage in this modification is no one realizes that it has been done as we only needed to move the seatback rearward 2 inches. The additional space was/is achieved in the backrest spring. The biggest caveat in this modification is, this mod really needs to be done when the car is in bare metal and where the sills can be fastened to a jig to keep everything in alignment. Otherwise the Center Panel Assy. (-the 35A/B body does not use B pillars) will likely twist causing door adjustment issues. Also, the Front Seat Back Panel must be removed totally so additional metal is added to each side and then re-spotwelded to the Center Panels on each side. Because of this, there will need to be paintwork involved after it is reassembled.

Another FWIW, we found during initial mock-up that even 2½" may be too much as moving that panel rearward more really affects passengers getting in and out of the rear seat area. Likely 1½"-1¾" is probably the ideal placement. I can walk you thru the entire process by phone if you like.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 03:50 PM   #7
AYooperA

Brent, I can see that would help with the Drivers legroom but seems like major surgery to me. I also see your point of moving backrest back too far as it can restrict access to rear passengers. Some find it tight as it is (about 14”) but once past door post your golden with legroom fit for a King. My main issue is clearing the 8” between the door post and vertical portion of front seat cushion. My Dad was 6’ 4” and would go through all kinds of contortions to get in. Once in we fire her up and off we would go, accepting that’s how she was built and smile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C18D6DBF-10B0-4A0F-A453-B7D1BC0B8796.jpg (56.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg FCA2CD76-7CEB-4F1D-8660-4E4935D37BAA.jpg (53.7 KB, 28 views)
AYooperA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 04:08 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYooperA View Post
Brent, I can see that would help with the Drivers legroom but seems like major surgery to me. I also see your point of moving backrest back too far as it can restrict access to rear passengers. Some find it tight as it is (about 14”) but once past door post your golden with legroom fit for a King. My main issue is clearing the 8” between the door post and vertical portion of front seat cushion. My Dad was 6’ 4” and would go through all kinds of contortions to get in. Once in we fire her up and off we would go, accepting that’s how she was built and smile.
My have a '29 Phaeton that my great aunt & uncle purchased new. I have driven it a lot and I am 6'2" and 240-250ish. I make it happen but like you and your dad, I have to work at it.

Yes, it is major surgery which is why I said this is best done during the restoration process. I don't think I would be as thrilled to do it to a restored car with nice paint. Maybe that is just me though. Maybe it is how big of a priority it would be for me too.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 06:55 PM   #9
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post

Yes, it is major surgery which is why I said this is best done during the restoration process. I don't think I would be as thrilled to do it to a restored car with nice paint. Maybe that is just me though. Maybe it is how big of a priority it would be for me too.
Brent
If you have some photos please do share. I would like to find the extra room some day but my paint is just to good at the moment to mess up......guess I will just continue to drive without shoes lol

Ron

Last edited by Model A Ron; 04-24-2023 at 07:27 PM.