Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-26-2022, 08:19 PM   #1
Model A Ron

Default Balancing Beads

Has anyone used balancing beads? Would you use them again or go without in the future?
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 08:27 PM   #2
alexiskai

Default Re: Balancing Beads

I used them when I was on bias tires, but since I went to radials, the ride is good enough that I haven’t bothered to reinstall them.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 08:38 PM   #3
eagle

I have used balancing beads. Can sometimes get out of balance for a ways when you start out, then evens out.
Old 12-26-2022, 08:57 PM   #4
nkaminar

How they work: At above a "critical" speed, the tire's heavy spot will move in a smaller radius than the light spot. So the beads will move to the light spot to balance the tire. Below that critical speed the beads will move to the heavy spot and increase the unbalance.

What can go wrong: If the tire does not have a uniform radius they will not work. The beads are hard to shove down the intertube stem. They must not be wet or they will not roll to the light spot above the critical speed.

What is the alternative: Balance the wheels with stick on lead weights. Back off a bearing on the front and back off the brake (count the clicks) with that wheel jacked up. Take the wheel off and temporarily balance the brake drum with stick on weights. Put weights at the top after the drum stops until it stops at random places. Now mount each wheel/tire in turn and balance them the same way. Stick the weights were the spokes are welded to the rim. Take the temporary weight off the drum and return the bearing to the proper setting and return the brake to the proper setting. Re install all the wheels. Note that the wheel/tire/drum will not be 100 % balanced because each drum can be out of balance. Modern drums are balance with steel weights that are welded to the drums. The small unbalance at the drums does not seem to cause any problems. I use this method and have never had any problems.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 12-26-2022 at 10:19 PM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 10:31 PM   #5
Gary WA

I have been using them for years in stock model A tires! Good articles on balancing beads web site.
Old 12-26-2022, 10:56 PM   #6
1crosscut

Never had a balancing issue with the tires on my 29 AA truck until I installed a Warford overdrive. With the added speed the tires being unbalanced became quite problematic.
I put Dynabeads in the tires and now the ride is smooth.

They worked very well for me and I like them.

As far as getting the beads into the tubes it is not terribly hard. Can go into it in more detail as to how I did it if you decide to go that direction
Old 12-27-2022, 01:37 AM   #7
CarlG

I have them in my Coker Radials. Definitely do the job. And YES, I would do it again.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 09:34 AM   #8
Bob Bidonde

My technique of balancing Model "A" & early V8 Ford wheels:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wheel Balancing Technique On Car 186kb.jpg (60.1 KB, 145 views)
Old 12-27-2022, 09:47 AM   #9
nkaminar

You can also wrap large diameter solder around the spokes instead of using the stick on weights. This works well with motorcycle or bicycle wheels.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 10:00 AM   #10
BillCNC

45mph is about the fastest I drive my "A" and at that speed, I have never felt a tire being out of balance. I know they are out of balance because the wheels always ends up with the heavy side down after a good spin with the wheel off the ground. My drums could use a turning to eliminate a slight pulsing.

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 11:12 AM   #11
Y-Blockhead

When I installed the Lucas tires I checked them on my HF bubble balancer and they were pretty far off. I rotated the tire on the rim and got them better but they were still off. I installed the balance beads and they worked out OK when installed on the car.

When I recently installed the American Classic Radials I was planning to install balance beads. But when I checked them on the balancer I was pleasantly surprised how in balance they were. Now I am not sure if I will use the balance beads or not. I have not notice any issues yet but I may install them just because I already bought them... We'll see.

One thing I noticed that I didn't like when I was using the balance beads is on occasion when checking the tire pressure the valve wouldn't seal. Maybe a bead (or bead dust?) stuck in it? Anyway, if you are going to use the beads I recommend you use valve cores with filters. They solved my problem. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08FF56F...roduct_details

Another thing I noticed is when installed the beads are white. When I removed them they were black. Made me think, are these things wearing out my tubes from the inside out??

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 12-27-2022 at 11:40 AM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 04:01 PM   #12
Synchro909

My system is pretty much what Bob Bidone explained. I have made a balancing stand from some scrap iron and an old stub axle. bearings that have been replaced but run smooth and a front wheel hub. My weights were pretty much as nkaminar described only I used lead reclaimed from an old battery. I have now changed to using stick-on weights but being economy conscious, I reuse them several times over by scraping off the adhesive layer and using double sided tape afterwards.
Some tyres are wayyyy of. I have seen a number of them that needed about 8-10 ounces. That is ridiculous!
I've never used beads and I doubt they would do much good with a wheel that far out.
Old 12-27-2022, 05:11 PM   #13
Fhane

If you don’t use the valve core with the filters do the following. Add just a touch of air to the tire before checking pressure. This will clear the valve of beads or dust then check the pressure.
Fhane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 05:34 PM   #14
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Some tyres are wayyyy of. I have seen a number of them that needed about 8-10 ounces. That is ridiculous!
I've never used beads and I doubt they would do much good with a wheel that far out.
Yea, Since you usually only put in 4 oz. I doubt it would work if your tire is 8 oz. out...

I just don't like the looks of the stick on weights, that is why I started using the balance beads.

I have used Motorcycle spoke wheel balance weights in the past also. https://smile.amazon.com/Supply-Whee..._t3_B08ZXZV3PM

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 12-27-2022 at 08:39 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 07:37 PM   #15
CarlG

I used the valve cores that came with the beads. Never had a problem.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 07:53 PM   #16
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
My technique of balancing Model "A" & early V8 Ford wheels:
Bob
I like your method but what position on the wheel do you start putting weights on....6,9,12,3?

Thanks
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 10:56 PM   #17
30forfun

New to the forum - great discussion just following for now - I am also very interested in trying balance beads - I know it's a pain getting then into the inner-tube
30forfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 07:33 AM   #18
petew

Getting balance beads into the inner tube can be frustrating . My method is to connect a 3" piece of clear tube of the proper diameter ( tight fit) put one end over the valve stem and the other onto a small funnel . I then vibrate the clear tube with an electric etching tool while slowly feeding the beads into the funnel . This must be done slowly or the beads will jamb up and get stuck. Get your timing right and they will march right in.
petew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 08:25 AM   #19
Rob Doe

Has anyone used the liquid balancing that is sold for motorcycles? if so, would like to know how much you put in each tire.
Old 05-29-2023, 10:08 AM   #20
old31

I have wanted to use balance beads so many times but gave up do to the beads not wanting to go in. I have tried all the tricks, funnels, vibrators, feeding them in by hand, nothing.

I bought a harbor freight bubble balancer and use stick on wights on the inside of the rim and then paint the weights to match the rim.

https://www.harborfreight.com/portab...cer-59140.html
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote