Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2023, 12:32 PM   #1
midgetracer

Default 1928 Frame questions

I need some help for installing a front crossmember in a 28 frame.
1. will a 30 crossmember work in the frame if I shim up the radiator pads?
2. What is the hole size in the crossmember where the front motor mount fits in? The hole in the frame where the brass washer sits.
3. What is the difference between the car and truck front crossmembers?
4. does anyone have the measurement from the front of the center crossmember to the centerline of the front spring center bolt?

Thanks for any measurements or help you can provide.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 01:48 PM   #2
ModelA29

Default Re: 1928 Frame questions

You'll need 2 A-8126-R shims per side - You'll also need the longer bolts. I got mine from Bratton's they have the correct finish - https://www.brattons.com/RADIATOR-MO...uctinfo/11730/
This frame image is from Mike's website
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 01:53 PM   #3
rotorwrench

The late 1930/31 crossmember will work but the holes may not line up. There were at least three different members used in 1928 & 29 so the early ones varied in hole size but locations were close. It just depends on the date the frame was manufactured.

I have a late 29 frame that would have had the last high mount radiator pad member originally. Someone bolted in a 1930/31 member and it was close enough for bolts to fit but rivet holes are now too large. I'll have to weld up the holes and redrill to get rivets in it. I have a late 28/early 29 member that has the vertical ribs but the holes don't line up on it.

There is a service bulletin that gives a procedure for enlarging the hole for the front motor mount yoke stud. They used the bushing for a while but many just use a large area washer underneath instead. If the spring stud can't move, it can crack the crossmember over time.

The AA truck members are larger and have different hole spacing. The late ones have a reinforcement riveted in the spring pocket and the rivets are a pretty obvious application indication.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-30-2023 at 03:36 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 02:20 PM   #4
Shiloh

Whatever you do make sure everything fits together before going to paint. I made the mistake of using a 28-29 frame to build a 31 pickup and played hell getting everything to match up. Also make absolute sure that your frame is straight. They all had a tendency to say where the motor mounts are and an unstraight frame will fight you every step of the way on installing. Especially when it comes to the hood.
I finally got everything right but learned it all through the school of hard knocks. The frame is like the foundation to a building… if it isn’t done right it will screw everything up.
Shiloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 04:35 PM   #5
psimet

I found out that I had a 30/31 front crossmember welded in to my '28 frame many years ago as a repair. Ran in to issues when replacing the radiator last year. Ended up with this thread: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316757

End result was I had to shim the radiator. Once done everything just work out well.
psimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 07:36 PM   #6
midgetracer

Thanks everyone for the help. I have a 30-31 crossmember and an early 28 frame. The holes do not line up...not even close. I will use the frame diagram to tell where to place it. The 29 truck crossmember that I have will not fit without cutting and welding. This frame is for a 28 shop pickup truck I just picked up.
I will mock it all up and if the frame measurements are per the drawing, I think all will be well. Critical placement should be the center spring bolt which will align all the other points.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote