Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-22-2023, 11:19 AM   #1
ldreeg

Default Battery filler caps

Any interest in new hybrid battery filler caps with the original raised Ford script and fine threads on the bottom to fit the new reproduction Ford Script batteries?
ldreeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 01:43 PM   #2
itsana

Default Re: Battery filler caps

yes more info please
itsana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 03:10 PM   #3
ldreeg

Thank you. I'm working on it and will have photos soon
Old 05-28-2023, 09:10 AM   #4
Model "A" Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldreeg View Post
Any interest in new hybrid battery filler caps with the original raised Ford script and fine threads on the bottom to fit the new reproduction Ford Script batteries?
Larry, I will buy some caps when they are available.

Do you know if the new reproduction batteries meet Judging Standards with the proposed hybrid Filler caps or is there more to be altered? I'd be interested in your thoughts as I have a new battery ordered but was told it won't be correct.
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 01:13 PM   #5
ldreeg

I am confirming proper fit on a reproduction battery that I have like yours before moving ahead with production.
As for Judging Standards, we will see. My understanding is all the judges do is put their hand up alongside the battery and feel for the raised script, which these will match perfectly. I have a beautiful original that we scanned for accuracy. I should have photos soon. Thanbk you.
Old 07-04-2023, 12:42 PM   #6
ldreeg

I have them ready!
I have my Hybrid raised Ford Script battery caps completed. The top is exact copy of the original cap, the bottom has the fine threads for the aftermarket batteries. It includes the plug in the middle of the bottom with the vent holes just like original in case your replacement battery is wet cell. $75.00 per set of 3 postage included to lower 48 states.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230703_145712.jpg (13.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 20230703_145753.jpg (16.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20230703_145828.jpg (21.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20230703_145835.jpg (19.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 20230703_150132.jpg (15.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20230703_150138.jpg (13.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20230703_150147.jpg (21.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpeg 77237.jpeg (86.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpeg 77238.jpeg (84.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 07-04-2023, 01:11 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model "A" Fords View Post
Larry, I will buy some caps when they are available.

Do you know if the new reproduction batteries meet Judging Standards with the proposed hybrid Filler caps or is there more to be altered? I'd be interested in your thoughts as I have a new battery ordered but was told it won't be correct.

That depends on the adjudicator's knowledge of what they are judging. As each year comes and goes, there are less knowledgeable judges.

Like Larry, I have pulled the prints of both the A-10720 Cap and the A-10660 Battery. When you compare the new repro battery to pix of original batteries, and to the factory prints, the repro can be camouflaged to resemble an original battery. I have set-up the repro case in the Bridgeport and used a flycutter to re-shape the exterior with success. Also, texturing the exterior is necessary to make it look more like rubber. The other issue with the reproduction battery is that the case is smaller in dimension. If the judge is knowledgeable, they will pick-up on this. This can be overcome but again, a lot more work. I was wrongly disqualified from a MARC event due to a weak repro battery that I had many hours in camouflaging and I had chosen not to do the same amount of work on a new battery. Right or wrong, I have a very bad taste in my mouth for batteries and unqualified judges.

Larry, great job on your caps!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg A-10660-A2 Battery1.jpg (55.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg A-10660-A2 Battery2.jpg (64.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg A-10660-A2 Battery3.jpg (69.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg A-10720 Battery Fill Plug.jpg (41.5 KB, 32 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 01:23 PM   #8
ldreeg

[QUOTE=BRENT in 10-uh-C;2237940]That depends on the adjudicator's knowledge of what they are judging. As each year comes and goes, there are less knowledgeable judges.

Like Larry, I have pulled the prints of both the A-10720 Cap and the A-10660 Battery. When you compare the new repro battery to pix of original batteries, and to the factory prints, the repro can be camouflaged to resemble an original battery. I have set-up the repro case in the Bridgeport and used a flycutter to re-shape the exterior with success. Also, texturing the exterior is necessary to make it look more like rubber. The other issue with the reproduction battery is that the case is smaller in dimension. If the judge is knowledgeable, they will pick-up on this. This can be overcome but again, a lot more work. I was wrongly disqualified from a MARC event due to a weak repro battery that I had many hours in camouflaging and I had chosen not to do the same amount of work on a new battery. Right or wrong, I have a very bad taste in my mouth for batteries and unqualified judges.

Thank you.
The battery I purchased from Jim's about 4 years ago is dead! I need a battery for Hamilton, any suggeations?
Old 07-04-2023, 01:28 PM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

[QUOTE=ldreeg;2237944]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post

Thank you.
The battery I purchased from Jim's about 4 years ago is dead! I need a battery for Hamilton, any suggeations?

The last I knew they were out of production. I have a few dead ones also. My suggestion is to see if you can find a local battery rebuilder and have them refurbish your script battery.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 08:27 PM   #10
31Tudor

Battery Central Mall is showing them. I purchased one from them about 4 years ago. I could add one to the cart on their website tonight.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 09:41 PM   #11
ldreeg

Yes, but not in stock. 5-8 months. I spoke to Wayne Cunningham, great guy. I had him put me on the order list. He did offer a fix for my dead Jim's. Call him and he should be able to hook you up.
Old 07-11-2023, 09:43 PM   #12
ldreeg

[QUOTE=BRENT in 10-uh-C;2237949]
Quote:

Thank you.

The last I knew they were out of production. I have a few dead ones also. My suggestion is to see if you can find a local battery rebuilder and have them refurbish your script battery.
I was able to finally reach someone at Jim's and they are still in business. Jim gave me a suggestion to restore my battery but it didn't help.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:18 AM   #13
Model "A" Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31Tudor View Post
Battery Central Mall is showing them. I purchased one from them about 4 years ago. I could add one to the cart on their website tonight.
Quote:
Yes, but not in stock. 5-8 months. I spoke to Wayne Cunningham, great guy. I had him put me on the order list. He did offer a fix for my dead Jim's. Call him and he should be able to hook you up.
I ordered one from BCM in December 2022 and have been updated with a September delivery. There wasn't production during June if I recall correctly.
The caps will be replaced with Larry's original looking ones. I'll see what else needs work once the battery gets here.
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote